It is speculated that Pi may be an 'infinite' number because the sequence of digits following its decimal point is of...

It is speculated that Pi may be an 'infinite' number because the sequence of digits following its decimal point is of seemingly unlimited (or at least indeterminate) length

Using the same logic one may perhaps also argue that any cardinal number is also infinite, in the sense that it may be expressed in the same decimal form. E.g. "7.000.... etc"

This seems silly and counter-intuitive though because the extra digits are adding no new information.

But then, assuming pi at some point (after trillions of digits for example) began to loop back and repeat the same sequence of digits as naseum, does that also mean Pi is not infinite?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_that_π_is_irrational
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_number
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>assuming pi at some point (after trillions of digits for example) began to loop back and repeat the same sequence of digits as naseum
Then it would be rational, but it's not.

>durrrrrrrrr

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_that_π_is_irrational

Is pi embedded in the digits of pi?

If pi was infinite you could assign values to the numbers, like letters, and end up with the Library of Babble.

>It is speculated that Pi may be an 'infinite' number because the sequence of digits following its decimal point is of seemingly unlimited (or at least indeterminate) length

This is true of ALL numbers you retard.
>1.00000000000000000000--->repeat forever

Infinite non-repeating digits does not imply that all sequences are made. Pi has not been proven to be a normal number.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_number

Nope, else it'd be rational

You misunderstand something. If it is infinite there's no way for it not to repeat. Ergo, it isn't infinite.

OP's post is him independently discovering the concept of irrationality because he apparently never learned about it in school or something. If you read his whole post he already said what you're saying and then asks if pi starts repeating itself would it then be as non-infinite as a rational number. And he's right, if pi repeated itself then it wouldn't be irrational. The worst you can accuse him of is ignorance, as opposed to the stupidity we can accuse you of for not understanding how to parse his question.

>If it is infinite there's no way for it not to repeat.
You're still not getting it. Not repeating does not mean all sequences are made. Example:

0.1001000100001... never repeats, but it certainly doesn't contain every sequence (in base 10 or even base 2).

I absolutely love the library of babel
>everything you could ever say has already been recorded in it

That's not actually how it works. It generates what you search for.

aww, you've ruined the fun for me ;-;

That's what I'm here for.

Op here

Yes I never learned about it but discovered it myself anyway. All of you pompous egg heads studying for years to learn about something that I discovered independently while snapping off a shit at work!!!

You should have learned this in grade 5 you moron.

You know this information because someone explained it to you

I know because I discovered it independently using the powers of my own intellect (while breaking off a log!)

Who is the moron?

Congratulations op.

>the digits of pi repeat the same sequence
fucking brainlet, that can't happen, because that sequence can be changed to the form a + b + b*c + b*c^2 + b*c^3 ..., where b is the rational number corresponding to the first iteration of the looping sequence of digits, c is 10^-(the number of digits of b), and a is the rational number corresponding to all of the digits before b. Obviously, this infinite sequence simplifies to a + b*(1/1 - c), which is rational, which can't be pi.

>Who is the moron?

Still you.

>Obviously
You didn't figure that out yourself, you either read it or were taught it by someone else.

I may be the moron, but you're the brainlet.

Japs love these things. Why don't Aussies just sell them to Asians?

Mathematicians thought their mental masturbation would have relevance because they assumed the physical continuity of the universe. 20th century experiments proved otherwise, yet for some strange reason they persisted in their own infantile thought experiments. Their entire "profession" is anthropomorphized perfectly by the ageing physicist in pic related.

>If it is infinite there's no way for it not to repeat.
Prove it.