There has never been written a story which is actually scary

what about MY MOTHERFUCKING DIARY, DESU

the book of revelation

end thread

wrong

>post reccs

>BUT THAT WASNT SCARY!!!
>DIDN'T SCARE ME :^)

That's because you're a low IQ mong who will never fully comprehend the endless terrors that can come to life through literature

You probably aren't scared because the ramifications of truly existentially terrifying texts go over your head

You probably expect jump scares or something

Please post reccs. I promise I won't be mean, I'd just like some reccs.

All the best scares lie within Weird Fiction.

Personally, I found the ending of I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream very very scary

Don't know if that's just because I've done a lot of LSD so I kind of have "insight" on the last sentences but if you can appreciate the writing it's pretty scary imo

>That's because you're a low IQ mong who will never fully comprehend the endless terrors that can come to life through literature
>You probably aren't scared because the ramifications of truly existentially terrifying texts go over your head

>You probably aren't scared because the ramifications of truly existentially terrifying texts go over your head

implying i ought to be scared of meaninglessness

implying being scared of that makes you superior to me, someone who isn't a pussy

you got me, that was fedora

Here are some good ones:

Le Horla
The Great God Pan
"The Dreams in the Witch House"
"In the Penal Colony"
"The Willows"
"The Bungalow House"

>pssssh.....nothing personnel kid, books arent scary hehe

Currently reading The Haunting of Hill House. It is scary as fuck.

>not understanding the stupidity of looking down on someone who isn't scared like you are

>ha! get a load of this guy. he's not even scared like I am! what a loser. am i right guy?

I'm not looking down on someone who isn't scared, but to say "horror isn't a genre" because they don't get scared is wrong

It's like saying comedy doesn't exist because the jokes go over your head

or because you have to sense of humor

just post a hat meme and you don't have to have a point

why did the chicken cross the road?
to get to the other side!

>look at this guy. he's not even laughing. probably doesn't get the joke like me. I'm so great.

you guys aren't even talking about horror anymore
what about my helpful list

= "x is a shit genre"
not "IT DOESN'T EXIST BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME"

>being convinced that the reason you're scared of stories is because you have some kind of insight that other people don't

straight edge dork who can't think abstractly

the difference is that it is impossible to write a scary story, because the fact that it is fiction makes it not scary.

comedy is possible. the two are not even similar. if you don't understand this, there is no hope for you

>tfw to smart for horror

the written word is language, and everything we communicate is through language, therefore every scary idea or concept that you've ever experienced is because of a book.

again, you think that your being scared is due to your ability to think on a higher level than me, when it fact it's simply because you're a pussy

i understand that it's more acceptable for you to think of yourself as especially intelligent rather than especially pussified

>because the fact that it is fiction makes it not scary

>the fact that it is fiction makes it not scary
jesus christ

>tfw so smart that i'm scared

>PSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH NOTTIN PERSONNELLL KID

nice arguments

>I have autism: the post

we're done here

you're using that meme wrong

itt people who cite their own weakness as proof of their superiority

I AM AFRAID OF FICTION
LOOK AT HOW AWESOME I AM

Why do you even read fiction if you can't connect with it emotionally? Wouldn't your time be better spent robotically accumulating true sentences from non-fiction?

Gotta admit I can relate to the guy. I can feel characters and their emotions but when it comes to fear, letters on a page don't really do it for me. Sometimes a conspiracy theory or creepypasta used to do it but I really can't think of any fictional stories that would actually scare me in the same way that a movie or experience would. If the story were claimed to be true now that's a little different, but if I'm already starting with the knowledge that it's a work of fiction, it's hard to be spooked.

do you find it hard to be made sad by a sad fiction?
why is fear this unique exception?

that's a good question. i don't know why, but it is

>robotically accumulating true sentences
you mean 'reading non-fiction'? but nice try to belittle me by using 'robotically accumulating'

I think lord of the flies was kinda scary in a realistic way...If you were ever bullied as you would understand

>but nice try to belittle me
He didn't try to belittle you. autist. He belittled you. You were belittled.

there's no need to be upset

yeah i was belittled by the phrase 'robotically accumulating true sentences'. i wonder how i will go on with the day...

I Have no Nut and I Must Buss

The last man earth heard a knock on his bumhole

Good recs but OP is right. Horror isn't scary. I like it anyway though.

Can someone recommend spooky books with no world building or excruciating Kingian descriptions like HE LOOKED INTO THE DARK DARKNESS THAT WAS INSIDE THE DOOR'S RECTANGULAR FRAME THAT WAS IN THE WALL THAT THE DOOR THAT HE WAS LOOKING THROUGH WAS BUILT IN OUT OF WOOD THAT WAS ONCE PART OF A TREE IN THE FOREST IT WAS VERY SCARY HE WAS VERY VERY SCARED?

Something that relies on feeling tones and less on the external world? Can be poetry.

but that makes sense

he's basically the crazy scientist in the disaster movie who keeps dropping his notes so the president doesn't listen to him and you're the chill fratty four star general who isn't taking his bullshit till the 11th hour

The only book that ever really scared me (note, scared. Not unsettled or spooked, because some have done those.) is Utopia.
I find that shit actually, legitimately terrifying. It wigs me out. It scares me to my core.

For sale: bumhole knocks, never used.