If you think about it, it's crazy lucky that the moon goes around the sun at roughly the same rate as the earth...

If you think about it, it's crazy lucky that the moon goes around the sun at roughly the same rate as the earth, or else it would be really hard to see things at night.

this is a moon, say something nice about her

Luna is pretty.

y-yeu're very bright

Starlit nights are sufficient.. Its clouds that ruin visibility at night.

We're not really lucky. The moon came from the earth and since the earth goes around the sun, the moon does too. I'd say we're more lucky that gravity works in such a way that local gravity overtakes the gravity of the sun at short distances.

If gravity didn't have an order above linear (nlogn or above), we'd still be stuck in a pre-big-bang state where everything gathers fairly quickly back to the "origin" of the universe. I'd say we're more lucky that the moon is actually reflective/white and not a giant ball of coal that absorbs heat from sunlight then cooks whichever side of the earth it's on as it rotates.

>The moon came from the earth

The moon isn't particularly reflective or white. It has an albedo of .12, which means it only reflects about 12% of light. That is roughly the same as aged asphalt. A white sheet of paper has an albedo of .4-.6. The moon is one of the darkest bodies in our solar system.

Other sources suggest a white sheet of paper is closer to the .6-.7 range. That sounds better to me

The bitch never shows me her ass.

The moon is fairly bizarre as far as satellites go. Compare Luna to Phobos and Deimos for example.

It's almost too Perfect.

Comparing it to what are likely captured asteroids is stupid.

Compare the Moon to Jupiter's large moons and there is a much better resemblance, although those bodies have much more water ice than the Mon, which is a big ball of refractory materials since it formed so close to the Sun and has low gravity.

The moon was probably created in a collision between the earth and another body, so no that's not really lucky. It is lucky that it stayed in a consistent orbit though.

>Compare the Moon to Jupiter's large moons and there is a much better resemblance,

Except no, Jupiter's moons are proportionally the same size as Mars's, Earth and the Moon are closer to being a binary planet than they are to being a planet plus its satellite, our Moon is FREAKISHLY large.

Maybe in minecraft

The sky is brighter when that fucker isn't in the sky at night, user.

Unless you mean terrestrial navigation, but it's not much lighter when out.

>Implying minecraft isn't identical to reality
You should go outside sometime user

Moon goes around the sun

The moon was formed when a Mars sized object crashed into earth, the debris that came off of earth rotated around the earth and eventually formed together to make the moon.

>go outside
>see round things
You fucking fraud

When there is solar eclipse, shit goes down... For anyone who doesn't know it matters a lot *can't explain there*.

Please, OP, tell me your experiences with solar eclipses.. If you really love the moon then it would make sense to know everything about it, right?!

y-you too

this.

go to a dark sky location on a full moon night and the moon is FUCK YOU bright. As in looking at the moon fucking hurts.
But go to the same spot on a new moon night, and you can read (with notable difficulty) by starlight. Venus becomes annoyingly bright too.

Luna is best princess

>say something nice about her (the moon)

She is smarter than OP.

If we didn't have the moon, I'd wager that it would have taken mankind a lot longer to progress scientifically. It raised a lot of questions

Then why is the mars sized object no longer in our solar system? Where is this planet X?

You're standing on it

If you think about it, it's crazy lucky that both the moon and sun have almost the same relative size in the sky, so that both lunar and solar eclipses are possible.

Fuuuck the way this was all said gave me goosebumps, fuck i love science

It's a little bit of both iirc. Earth got hit by a glancing blow and some of the object debris stayed with the Earth while some of it mixed with Earth debris to form the moon.

We're lucky it was a glancing blow and not a direct hit or the Earth probably would have been shattered to pieces.

>the moon goes around the sun at roughly the same rate as the earth
What does this even mean?

>Compare Luna to Phobos and Deimos for example
A second moon would be very comfy.

I had no idea Veeky Forums was hangout for bongloaders.

The moon will eventially crash into the earth and kill everyone.

We need to nuke the mpon, destriy it before it destroys us.

>I've to exist because some body didn't hit Earth the right way

fuck this shit

... you don't understand how lunar eclipses work, do you?

The earth is bigger than the moon so lunar eclipses aren't quite as special, there's not as much of a cosmic coincidence going on there. Although I guess when you consider we have the biggest moon relative to our planet in the solar system, maybe they are?

Solar eclipses make my brain crash, though. This insane miracle is not just "oh, they're coincidentally the same size in the sky" but also "we're alive at just the right time for them to BE the same size as the moon slowly spirals away from the earth" and on top of that also "their paths in the sky manage to occasionally cross which allows this to even be a thing" - like, the moon was birthed from a violent celestial impact, what if it had been violent enough to give the earth-moon system a crazy tilt like Uranus? We'd potentially never see them cross paths in the sky? I don't know much about orbital mechanics, if the orbital plane of the moon would have always tended towards matching the orbital plane of the earth relative to the sun regardless of whatever crazy spin the earth potentially had... but that's another thing, it's highly probable that if it weren't for the effects of the moon, tides, seasons, all that jazz and the degree to which they occur, life wouldn't exist on this planet, at least not as we know it. And we certainly wouldn't have agriculture which is basically the thing that birthed civilisation through which humans grew a collective intelligence, pooling and sharing their knowledge. We wouldn't be around to see nor understand this incredible thing and so in a sense this incredible thing is literally why we're here. Like, the moon made itself an audience so we can witness its own ridiculous party trick - a trick so unspeakably beautiful that just the act of witnessing it bypasses all the work we've put into figuring it out. The moon is celestial egotist, the biggest camwhore in existence. It's bloody fantastic.

Pfft, who needs a bong, all we need to do is look up.

Moon a cute

CUTE

Go away

It's coincidental that the moon rotates and orbits at approximately the same speed so one side of the moon also faces us. Is that what you mean?

You're in the heliosphere and this guy slaps your only naturally occurring satellite's ass. What do, Veeky Forums?

Not coincidental

That isn't a noteworthy coincidence, tidal locking is a fairly common thing.

I didn't know that

This, the relative size of Luna to earth is an outlier.

>It's not lucky except where it's lucky

seems like a backwards train of throught, organisms adapted to the nighttime conditions the moon affords. If there was no moon and worse visibility you would presumably have organisms that are better adapted to darker nights. Then your thread would be "gee aren't we lucky we have starlight otherwise it would be really dark!"

What do we do when another Mars sized object comes for us?

move literally every person and building to one side of the earth to unbalance the orbit, thus dodging the object.

>Earth got hit by a glancing blow and some of the object debris stayed with the Earth while some of it mixed with Earth debris to form the moon.
One hypothesis suggests much of the same process also happened to the Moon, thus explaining why the near side is so very different from the far side.

if there were no moon I think I'd be too depressed to make threads

Hahaha i know dude +1 :^)