"I loathe such things as jazz, the white-hosed moron torturing a black bull, rayed with red, abstractist bric-a-brac...

"I loathe such things as jazz, the white-hosed moron torturing a black bull, rayed with red, abstractist bric-a-brac, primitivist folk masks, progressive schools, music in supermarkets, swimming pools, brutes, bores, class-conscious philistines, Freud, Marx, fake thinkers, puffed-up poets, frauds and sharks."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S0EZ_1leSYU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
youtube.com/watch?v=s8qvbaTatqk
youtube.com/watch?v=09A4O7MG-_k
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp_Xlp0zpSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
youtube.com/watch?v=BXkP4WS8Y_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
youtube.com/watch?v=VTwb-SJ_qK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
youtube.com/watch?v=idVYu4m0tgo
youtube.com/watch?v=ov1yBmsAZtE
youtube.com/watch?v=a4pNezXJ7j8
youtube.com/watch?v=U8E52kECyZU
youtube.com/watch?v=JFylewBffuE
youtube.com/watch?v=9nbKCvmhEs8
youtube.com/watch?v=z7wKtmJlOb0
youtube.com/watch?v=i8CcmMXWmaA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIdNvWMlf8w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>aristocrat has opinions of an elitist c*nt

whoa, mad!

Get with the times, gramps.

Old fart desu

"azz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.
Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.
The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."

Christiania is very nice desu.

t. Copenhagen fag

>I loathe [...] music in supermarkets
oh you mean like literally everyone

hey can i crash at your place? even airbnb places are at retarded prices in cph
tak min brör

Embarrassing

"[jazz] sucks and I'm tired of hearing about it. Believe me I've tried. I just hate the parts I hate about it more than I like the little things there are to like. The batting average is just so low I can't bear the dead time between highlights being filled with all that noodling. It's vain music.”

Why did he have such an autistic hatred for Freud? Is it because Freud would have known that he was a pedo?

Freud's a shit.

I mean Steve is a hero in many respects but there's no reason to dress up his personal dislike of jazz idiom as some sort of indictment of the genre.

Based.

>swimming pools

Wtf Nabokov. This is top tier autism.

ikr? Swimming Pools is a good song.

maybe nabokov, if you saw la la land then maybe you would know what TRUE jazz is

But jazz is good, so he's wrong. That's not very based.

How can you be revolutionary when you're such a traditionalist m8?

u wot i just want to open a bar and not serve fookin tapas ya mad poofta

> even liking jazz

how can you like kenny g and not be gay haha jazz is so lame am i right huh huh haha jus a bunch of trumpets honk honkin about (please see my play tho im an artist haha nice)

He thought Kafka was the best authot of the 20th century but hated abstract bric a brac? Am I missing something?

well Vonnegut you rude cunt you're a hack ANYWAY what a twat chuckle FUCK you cool jazz dave brubeck dick sucking hipster macbook cafe nero starbucks abstract stream of consciousness CUNT

proper fucking russian

good lad

>Jazz
>Not Classical and Bossa Nova
Fucking cancer.

He's right. The same goes for M'etal and almost all Classical composers. The triad of amusical wanking.

>Later came minutes, hours, whole days at last, when she'd be absent from our thoughts, so fast did life, the wooly caterpillar, run. We went to Italy. Sprawled in the sun on a white beach with other pink or brown Americans. Flew back to our small town. Found that my bunch of essays The Untamed Seahorse was "universally acclaimed" (it sold three hundred copies in one year). Again school started, and on hillsides, where wound distant roads, one saw the steady stream of carlights all returning to the dream of college education. You went on translating into French Marvell and Donne. It was a year of tempests: Hurricane Lolita swept from Florida to Maine. Mars glowed. Shahs married. Gloomy Russians spied. Lang made your portrait. And one night I died.

You call this writing, Nabokov?

oh look, it's the ''people only listen to classical music to appear sophisticated, nobody can actually enjoy it'' meme again

There is enjoyment and enjoyment. The enjoyment one feels from Formalist music, derived from its inane Numerological whoopty doos, and one's game-like disentanglement of said whoopty doos, justifying one's time and effort spent on memorizing an equally inane Numerological model of Music that is fundamentally alien to the Human Spirit - as is Number itself - for no other reason than to eventually be able to disentangle Musical whoopty doos - you don't have to be particularly introspective to realize that this is a kind of Mental cuckoldry.

Whereas prima facie enjoyment is another thing altogether.

>bossa nova
Please take your elevator music and leave, monkey man.

Please don't breed

>is platonically a cuck
>has never held hands with a music
>talks to other about breeding

>has never held hands with a music
What did he mean by this?

Pale Fire is some of the finest writing put to paper, user

>/mu/ brainlet can't handle the superior complexity of metal
youtube.com/watch?v=S0EZ_1leSYU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Please off yourself.

Next time please put 'cuckoldry' closer to the start of your post so we don't have to waste our time reading any further.

>not liking Stan Getz

Metal is the STEM approach to music. They make up for their lack of talent with "complexity" which is really just turning music into an algorithm. Creativity is replaced with busywork. The similarity with classical music is superficial, as classical musicians utilized the same algorithms as tools of their craft rather than as crutches.

>hating jazz
>hating the only worthwhile black invention

>tfw too smart to not listen to m'etal

>black invention

>implying bossa nova isn't just a subgenre of jazz

This seems targeted at a very specific type of metal. It definitely doesn't apply to thrash, black metal, stoner metal. In fact I'd say you're only really talking about technical death metal and post metal.

>disregarding rap music, the most Veeky Forums of all genres

Nigga..

rap is just cruder country with little to no emphasis on vertical movement

U wot m8

Just...leave.

better than "spoken word" which has neither the emotional depth of music nor the semantic depth of literature

What's this guy's problem, Veeky Forums?

of all these things, Veeky Forums is triggered by his disparagement of jazz, rather than freud or marx. makes sense considering the type of uneducated posturing i've seen here.
>oh look another vivian darkbloom thread

no shirt

>t. LARP pro

But jazz is (or at least was) a great cultural movement which still stands up today as having produced and influenced much of the best music of the 20th century.

Meanwhile Marx and Freud are relics. They've had their influence, but nobody takes them seriously any more.

This is music
youtube.com/watch?v=s8qvbaTatqk
This is shit
youtube.com/watch?v=09A4O7MG-_k

they are relics. but they founded discourses which were extremely influential when nabokov was writing, and are the point of his provocation. instead people here knee-jerk and talk about their feeling about music. pathetic

>paedophile
>hates Freud

No, it was a shit cultural movement.

When you're an adult, you'll realize that not all artistic movements produce works of merit, even if all the history books mention them.

Jazz is for adults, when we're young we're easily fooled by rock, pop or metal. Then we learn, and we grow, we become better human beings.

No pham you're just retarded. It gets time and experience to get used to the more complex side of metal. What will sound to you like noisy wankery at first will turn into an orgy of musical contradictions one you've managed to discern the tiny nuances and infinitely complex arrangements. If you can't get it then you're a pussy, simple as that.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp_Xlp0zpSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
youtube.com/watch?v=BXkP4WS8Y_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I guess the thing for me at least is that Nabokov's reasons for hating Marx and Freud are clear through his writings. Whether I agree with them or not, I understand that he has his reasons and they are well developed. His hatred for jazz, though, just comes across as ignorance.

I'd like to retort that when you become an adult, you will realise that you have no authority as an arbiter of taste and that your throwaway dismissal of half the greatest musicians of a century has no weight carries no weight or relevance to anybody but yourself. Unfortunately, though, I doubt it. Many adults continue to bray their ignorant opinions their whole lives.

t. Thinks Kind of Blue is the best album in jazz
t. Thinks The Synarchy of Molten Bones was AOTY

t. /mu/tard

Was I right?

Deathspell omega is cancer.

Stan didn't only play bossa though

Do some liberal art majors actually think this about STEMlords or is it just a meme?

Yeah I think people who hate jazz have just listened to the wrong artists. Plenty of good jazz out there.
youtube.com/watch?v=VTwb-SJ_qK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

it is! this guy gets it. implying you couldn't rewrite some lyrics in "one hell of a life" and turn it into a good ol' boy's piece.

>puffed up

classic nabokov

>>swimming pools
>Wtf Nabokov. This is top tier autism.
He was probably invited to mansion parties in the hollywood hills full of models and actors fucking in the pool and he was scared to take his shirt off

>jazz

He should have liked jazz, because his writing is jazzy, his use of frills and trills and colors and textures, and winding and waving and flowing and improvisation, and inspiration, and intuition

maybe he subconsciously saw this comparison, and saw "hey, I naturally do what those black guys naturally do, I must attempt to distance myself"

>but hated abstract bric a brac?
And wrote Pale Fire and Ada

To be fair, maybe he was talking about wayyyyy experimental poetry and avant garde stuff.

or maybe you're a retard. Nabokov's writing isn't "jazzy", don't make a comparison between literature and music again, you haven't the brains for it

HOW THE FUCK CAN SOMEONE HATE JAZZ YOU GODDAMN MOROOOOON

>The American is primitive in his artistic taste, both in what he enjoys as art and in his own artistic works. "Jazz" music is his music of choice. This is that music that the Negroes invented to satisfy their primitive inclinations, as well as their desire to be noisy on the one hand and to excite bestial tendencies on the other. The American's intoxication in "jazz" music does not reach its full completion until the music is accompanied by singing that is just as coarse and obnoxious as the music itself. Meanwhile, the noise of the instruments and the voices mounts, and it rings in the ears to an unbearable degree… The agitation of the multitude increases, and the voices of approval mount, and their palms ring out in vehement, continuous applause that all but deafens the ears

TOOTY-ROOTY-DROOOOOOOO-DIUDIDUDIDUDIUDIDU

Any other examples? Out of all, how did you come to choose that exact excerpt? Which I think is good-real nice writing

nice try, but i loathe those musical genres as well

i casually dismiss jazz as i casually dismiss dog turds when I see them on the sidewalk. I shit on you and your taste, you intellectual gnome

youtube.com/watch?v=idVYu4m0tgo
1:19:40

youtube.com/watch?v=ov1yBmsAZtE

>II V I
>not ii V I
attend your own funeral white sightreading faggot

Bitching about genre superiority/inferiority is what you do if you're too dumb to analyze specific works.

youtube.com/watch?v=a4pNezXJ7j8

youtube.com/watch?v=U8E52kECyZU
a love supreme clifford brown max roach bitches brew

The more you bitch about pseuds the more likely you are to in fact be a pseud

what an asshat blowhard

>Nabokov's writing isn't "jazzy"
Yes it is you absolutely fucking daft ingrate cretinous charlatanious mongolodial gaster of flabs,

>you haven't the brains for it
I go to Harvard genius

Underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=JFylewBffuE

>I go to Harvard genius
oh WOW look at mister big dick overe here

>"azz

Music so dumb even a woman could play it.

youtube.com/watch?v=9nbKCvmhEs8

youtube.com/watch?v=z7wKtmJlOb0

youtube.com/watch?v=i8CcmMXWmaA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIdNvWMlf8w

>Nabokov's writing isn't "jazzy"
Out of all of his writing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT, not a single sentence, 20 or 50, contain elements similar to elements that can be found in one or 20 of the 50s of thousands of pieces of jazz music? YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING IDIOT?

>oh WOW look at mister big dick overe here
Its actually quite small, for I have trained all my blood to rush to help engorgen my big brain

Jazz is that exact trash though.
Jazz isn't good, it only appeals to:
>Autistic children that don't actually like music beyond masturbatory wank, very similar to geetar wankers that adore Malmsteen
>People that don't actually know anything about music but listen to it to be a part of an ideology
>People that love a gumbo ruined by a handful of egotistical chefs that feel a need to dominate the entire dish
>Black Power supporters

Note one thing in common with all these people:
>"fake thinkers, puffed-up poets, frauds and sharks."

If someone, with out thinking, hears jazz and says: "I like that".

Are they wrong? Are they dumb?

Yes.

>Music so dumb even a woman could play it.
only a 0.000001% of them trained from birth like spiritual robots

>But who can teach the thoughts we should roll-call when morning finds us marching to the wall under the stage direction of some goon
political, some uninformed baboon? We'll think of matters only known to us--empires of rhyme, Indies of calculus; listen to the distant cocks crow, and discern upon the rough gray wall a rare wall fern; and while our royal hands are being tied, taunt our inferiors, cheerfully deride the dedicated imbeciles, and spit into their eyes just for the fun of it.

>Nor can one help the exile, the old man dying in a motel, with the loud fan revolving in the torrid prairie night and, from the outside, bits of colored light reaching his bed like dark hands from the past offering gems; and death is coming fast. He suffocates and conjures in two tongues the nebulae dilating in his lungs.

It's a poem from which I playfully removed the line breaks to make it seem like prose. It's from the same poem the excerpt from the OP is from. It's called Pale Fire.

I love Nabokov and was being ironic. I agree. Nabokov isn't discussed enough here -- seriously, I mean, about his literature, not just his controversial literary views.