So why haven't you read the most significant long poem from the latter half of the 20th century?

So why haven't you read the most significant long poem from the latter half of the 20th century?

youtube.com/watch?v=GpimsgfNj7c

he's shit housed

because poetry is for fags

wow got me :^)

Maybe I won't, but AIDS will

So none of you fags have read him?

2 patrish 4 Veeky Forums People here don't know shit about poetry post Pound or pre Pound or Pound.

yeah true no one here even reads

it's on my list desu

because it's not the most significant poem from the latter half of the 20th century... I fucking hate how Veeky Forums both sucks at poetry and/or its knowledge of poetry is retardedly limited to white American poets, as if that were the only group of poets that ever existed. Fuck John Berryman and all his ilk! Last Men, pessimistic faggots the lot of them, hiding behind effete, academic sophistication. Their poetry does more to make upper middle class pseuds complacent than it does to incite anyone to a higher experience of life.

Fuck late 20th Century American poets of this kind, honestly. Fucking academic leeches.

i'd hardly call berryman academic

>poetry
>higher experience of life

name a better one fag

I tried to read The Dream Songs, but I didn't get more than 20 songs in. Seems like Berryman tried really hard to make his poems opaque and too personalized, which is then confusing that it's suggested that they be dissected for any real meaning. The dialects he voiced characters in were annoying to me as well. Maybe that's just me

get back in the doghouse

is he drunk as fuck?

Darwish. To name just one. Look him up. The Arab poets were writing masterpieces of the long form while Berryman was using a persona to vent his 1st world anxieties.

Are u kidding? Went to Columbia, edited the Columbia Review, studied in Europe on a Fellowship from Columbia, lectured at Harvard, etc. etc.

lol yeah he's fucking hammered

Veeky Forums sucks pretty much at everything.

Sounds like it just isn't for you. I think he made them opaque, yes, but they're supposed to be dreeeeeam songs - they aren't going to be completely understood, that's the point.

Personally, I find Berryman captured a strange, unconscious plane of existence, I guess, in his poems. They don't necessarily make complete sense, but they are very evocative emotionally.

I also think Berryman's use of language is very interesting, and his voice to be somehow charming (maybe not so much the parts where Henry is in blackface).

It would be impossible to know this 'Henry in blackface' meme without Berryman himself saying that is what he did

Yeah what's your point

An idea that is integral in framing Berryman's poetry in order to actually give it any semblance of meaning was necessary to be told to the audience by Berryman himself extraneous from the actual work. That is not art, it is a puzzle. Berryman is boring, there's a reason why his biggest champions are know-nothing musicians like Nick Cave

That is not true - prior to Berryman speaking of the narrator of the songs it was generally believed Henry was Berryman's alter-ego (which he is).
Saying Henry assuming blackface as integral to any semblance of understanding is foolish; Henry is rarely in blackface. Your argument is backed up only by your own misunderstanding.