Has anyone here taught themselves the Mind Palace method for memorizing stuff?

Has anyone here taught themselves the Mind Palace method for memorizing stuff?

I'm thinking about learning it, although I've already completed my studies in uni so I don't really need to memorize anything in my life :P

>inb4 you're a brainlet if you didn't begin with perfect memory ;)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci
youtube.com/watch?v=sbinQ6GdOVk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What the fuck is this shit

im talking about dis mane

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci

niggaz be memorizing shit with eez :D

You really need to stop using emoticons. This is not plebbit.

You're not my real dad! Don't tell me what to do!

Now, can we have some quality discussion about Memory Palace and memorization in general? V___V

Hell yeah we can have serious discussion uwu Rawr! :3

inb4 its actually tiffany

But 4 Chan Spurdos also use EBIN emoticons XD
:DDDD.

Got em

This things aren't effecitve also this is why any of the real geniuses weren't using them. The best are the most standard methods (reading the text a few times and making notes than checking them (look at Feynman)).
This shit is just portraid god like in brainlet shows Sherlock etc.

>This things aren't effecitve

How do you explain this, then?

youtube.com/watch?v=sbinQ6GdOVk

Of course it can be effective. But you don't even know wtf you want to remember. This kind of thing is only useful for simple things (e.g. vocabulary, places, names...), you won't be able to use it to remember abstract things like theorems.

I have never had problem remembering theorems. If you don't remember some theorem, then it usually means that you haven't understood yet why the theorem is true.

Phone numbers, on the other hand, are hard to memorize since you can't "grasp" them logically like theorems.

I use the strategy where I map each number 00-99 to two consonants (0-9 = L, t, m, R, s, b, v, k, g) and then map two and two consonants to words. Then I associate the word with the concept or thing I need to remember. If it is a chain of things I also associate each constructed word with the next.

say a license plate 495872 - rg sk vn
rag skin van
some ragged hobo wearing somebodys skin while driving a van

tada

>0-9 =
I forgot 2=n but yeah

That reminds me of a slightly similar system I've been thinking about.

In my version, you memorize in advance a separate symbol for each number from 00-99. For example, each lowercase letter a-z corresponds to some number, as well is each upper case letter A-Z. Of course, you need some additional symbols in order to cover all the 100 digit combinations; you could use digits, slashes, underscores, math symbols etc. for this purpose.

Then, if you have to remember for example 495872, you would only need to memorize 3 symbols, for example "Ac9", where "A" = 49, "c" = 58, "9" = 72.

If you can only hold 5 symbols in your working memory, you can use this method to double the amount of digits you can hold in your memory.

Why would you want to remember phone numbers? Again, this is only useful for simple things like vocabulary (be it chemistry/biology/foreign languages/...)

> If you don't remember some theorem, then it usually means that you haven't understood yet why the theorem is true.
t. undergrad

Not everyone needs only to remember simple theorems for the next exam. When you have half a page of hypothesis things get a bit more complicated. If you were doing research you would understand.

Btw no one remembers most results from grad school if they are not from your area.

Well, if I read a theorem and understand why it's true, then I never forget it. The justification for the theorem's validity creates the necessary neural connections in my brain. That is, when I understand something, then the thing is rooted in all the other stuff that I remember, which is the key thing about memorization.

>t. undergrad
fuck you bitch ass nigga

i aint no undergrad, i got dat BSc in math and MSc in CS

Are you really saying you can remember every single theorem you ever read? You should probably be solving a millennium problem desu.

> inb4 you only read undergrad books during your BSc and think you are anything above a undergrad in math

I used it to help me in biochem, but realistically it's not super helpful. You learn by actively focusing and paying attention to something, there are no tricks to memory. Sure, constructing a mental room and what not counts as paying attention, but it's a lot of work.

You also have to keep doing it to remember what the things in the rooms mean. I can walk through my biochem rooms and know where every memory doodad was but fuck if I remember what they actually we're supposed to represent.

>Are you really saying you can remember every single theorem you ever read?
Your verbal IQ seems to be rather low.

I said:
>if I read a theorem and understand why it's true, then I never forget it.

Well, reading a proof and proving every assertion is understanding why it's true. Anyway, not wasting my time anymore on an undergrad fag.