Daily reminder to learn a new language

Daily reminder to learn a new language

thank you

Autodidactism here is not the best idea. If you don't have money for a teacher who would correct you... it will not make any sanse

*sense

what a nice correction

Why? You will never be fluent enough in a second language to appreciate the intricacies of its literature.

Deep knowledge is better than broad knowledge.

Did Joycey boy speak the gaeilge?

>brainlet thinks everyone is like him

he spake italian for shoure

No, or very little

Stay away from adult books.

Grasp of etymology >> knowledge of specific languages.

You clearly don't get Joyce.

nah, joyce's fav language was italian, have you even read the wakey matey?

learn math instead. you're in the anglo master race, learning anything else is self indulgent unless you want to do business in china or dubai

thanks I needed this.

Reading it now. Finding my knowledge of German more useful t.b.h.

>Implying millions of people haven't already achieved this level of fluency with English

I would rather broad knowledge than no knowledge.

>learn math instead.
where to start?

I already know spanish, english and math.
I'm currently learning japanese.

Deutsch>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>alles Sprachen

Do math counts as a language?

Programming languages should count. How can you write about now if you aren't at least somewhat versed in what powers the tools of now?

>You will never be fluent enough in a second language to appreciate the intricacies of its literature
Not with that attitude. I wish brainlets would leave my board.

what language should I learn?

한국어.

日本語

>computers exist
>learning math isn't indulgent

Maybe I'm a just a brainlet that doesn't know shit but I have no desire to learn an Asian language, that seems like more trouble than its worth...

I was just effing with you, but actually Chinese wouldn't be such a bad idea. depending ofc on your goals and interests, which you didn't mention lel

it's not nearly as difficult for a native English speaker as it's usually made out to be, plus you could be Veeky Forums af and learn Classical Chinese too. be able to communicate with upwards of a gazilion people AND read cool old shit. sounds like a good deal to me.

Why would I want to communicate with the chinese?

Where to start?

Business, literature, there are more of them than any other national group, so that means mean people to talk with.

>business
No thanks
>literature
I heard even native chinks can't read old literature, and new one is probably nothing but state-issued praise da emprah propaganda.
>there are more of them
Who cares, asians are barely even people

in a world of multiple online translators, both free and paid, why should i do this

>multiple online translators

what

>in a world of pre-packaged food, why should I ever learn to cook

7.9/10 analogy

I know. I've actually put a lot of thought into learning another language, and considered Chinese. It would be potentially good for work because they're taking over the world. My friend learned Mandarin on a mormon mission trip and he's probably why I have the idea that its so hard.

But lately I've been thinking about German because I'd like to go visit the city in Switzerland my great-grandpa came from, but not as an obnoxious American tourist.
Plus I like the idea of visiting Europe more than visiting China desu.

idk we'll see.

answer this

Why are Eastern Languages so hard bros?

>learn a new language
How? I can read it, but speaking or discussing is completely different.

This is enough, moving past reading fluency is merely the question of extensive practice, and unless you plan to live among the natives, a useless affair

Elementary Logic by Quine
A Course in Arithmetic by Serre
Basic Algebra by Jacobson
;-)

German or French.

you need good food to live
you dont need a second language to live

try to see if it makes sense to you, brainlet

>everything must have practical value
Why do you even read books? You don't need them to live

Calculus and analysis are essential for most other topics

python, there are flowing resources everywhere on the web

Why do I have to learn a new language?

Who gives a fuck, I don't have the time for it anyways. With my limited free time I would rather be reading or writing.

Math != arithmetic

your argument doesn't make any sense. the original quote was comparing learning a language with cooking, namely a practical thing with a useless thing. a shit comparison, as I said before.

I think almost all the great writers knew more than 1 language.

>I don't have the time for it anyways
I'm sorry, Mr. Valuable Time, you're so right. Now, proceed to use your time valuably and importantly on the cambodian hair-braiding picture forum

I have no pretensions that one day I am going to one of the "great writers". Anybody who thinks that is going to be a shit writer. I am just another 10 hour a day blue collar wagecuck that likes reading, and I want to write for those same people.

I have no interest in another language unless I am going to live in another country which I have no intention of doing.

thanks for the reminder

You're making language learning out to be some kind of grand undertaking, when it's not, and many people do it as a hobby. It's takes about 500-700 hours of practice to become capable of reading. Protip: in one year, you waste more time jerking off to pictures of anime girls

>dGw wenn Europäer
>dGw ich drei Fremdsprachen verstehen kann
>dGw ich diese Sprachen als Kind fließend sprechen konnte

Feels good not being an Americuck desu

How is going, Mohammed?

If the language is new how can you learn it genius
you have to make it up otherwise it's an old language
czech and meight

出来ない

lmao of course, English is the exception, even a retard can learn it

today i learned the language of love

I am not a Turk.

I'm trying to learn French but I can't speak it to save my life. I sound like a fucking retard.

Ya, the idiots here will tell you that french and english are basically the same language.
Just have to keep at it, user.

shakespeare didn't

if you going to learn french at least learn all the romance package: french, spanish, italian and portuguese.

and then go straight to latin

and then to greek.

and then... idk, you decide.

shakespeare studied in a grammar school. 8 hours/day. did you go to grammar school by any means?

>brainlet

go back to Veeky Forums

Fuck off brainlet.

Are these actually any good what do I do with this knowledge? I can see practicality of second language to use outside of learning language can't really see how learning math when my job life or hobbies don't need it. I am truly asking you to persuade me sir

No, you dumb Faggot.

Sow me the Mathematical Translation of The Bible.

nice google translate faggot

if you don't naturally think maths is philosophically interesting, and don't have any practice applications for it, then it's probably not worth learning. learn italian instead

i

why the use the time I spend wanking to learn a language?

Pretty funny desu

What's the best language to learn?

My first choice would be Spanish, but I think Russian would be better as far as Veeky Forums goes. Part of me also wants to learn Gaelic because I have Irish ancestry. However, I'm Canadian so I feel like French would be the most useful, but I have very little desire to learn it.

Like actually? Chinese/Japanese/Korean aren't cognate to English.

Learning a language that's related to English gives you a huge leg up: similar vocab, not horribly dissimilar phonology & grammar, plus, cultural stuff tends to be the same or at least closer.