How is it possible for an entire country to be so completely devoid of literary talent? I say this as a Canadian

How is it possible for an entire country to be so completely devoid of literary talent? I say this as a Canadian

Anne Carson is top-tier desu

alice munro is pretty tight desu

Munro, early Ondaatje, and Leonard Cohen are all pretty strong examples of talent.

forgot robertson Davies

Excuse me, you have Rupi Kaur

Learn french.

canadas the fucking weirdest country lol

you were saying?

Oh, I don't know- Robertson Davies is kind of fun. That second trilogy quite good!

read my book op

pierre berton matie

Unequivocally no. Fuck Quebec

stay pleb

Mavis Gallant is the patrician choice

Fuck off back to France any time.

these also:
Atwood, Ondaatje, Robertson Davies, Richler, and Rawi Hage come to mind.
Remember, Canada is a big country in terms of territory but there really aren't that many of us in terms of population.

Go read a book, friend.

Because we're still basically an anglo trading outpost with no culture to speak of other than muh liberal tolerance.
Take the Quebec pill

As a Canadian, I have no idea where to start with Canadian literature. I also have no interest in it.

To be honest, this seems interesting.

OP here. Thanks for proving my point. This country is trash and our """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""literature""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" is even worse

Richler is trash
Davies is trash
Atwood is meh genre fiction
Don't know Hage
Ondaatje is pretty decent.

The only literature that came from Canada that I really like is Alice Munro, and one good author is pretty paltry for a national output. Saul Bellow is great, but I don't know if I'd consider him a Canadian author as he moved to Chicago when he was 9. We might be able to claim William Gibson, who has lived here since he was like 19

A friend of mine and I took a Canadian Fiction class at my university (we're Canadian so it's not weird). We were assigned this one book by Mordecai Richler (Solomon gursky was here), and it was so bad that we made it a ritual on our semi-regular nightly woods hikes to read a page from it, rip it out of the book, and use it to start our campfires

this thread

Day of Rake when?

The original Anne of Green Gables is cute.

the dozen or so books after that, I dunno.

>he hasnt read The Canadiad

There's tons, there's just no meme books so you idiot nyrb hipster fucks are ignorant to them.

George Bowering, Al Purdy, Bliss Carman, Gilles Henault, Albert Ferland, Hugh MacLennan, Graeme Gibson, Rawi Hage, Garry Thomas Morse, Alice Munro, S.D Chrostowska.

Read a fucking book.

Because they are fucking leaves.

Because you don't give anything a chance.

Anything novels from Canada that edgy or dark?

No.

Um, yes. Look up Southern Ontario Gothic. Also read a fucking book

>Southern Ontario Gothic
>actually dark in any way
kys

George Grant

Came here to post this.
it's great but in my opinion as a canadian who lived in a similar situation, there wasn't enough descriptions of the bear's anatomy and no actual intercourse with the bear, but it did eat her snatch a few times, so I'd say it wasn't even that edgy. It's a neat look at how normies handle isolation though

this direct quote from the book seems to disagree. also based on that passage it's absolute garbage

>he doesn't rate this madman right here

Canada unironically has an amazing cultural production of art and literature for such a small population historicity

Literally who?

Canada is just as over-represented as Jews in Hollywood and the North American music industry.

Gordon Lightfoot's lyrics alone are literary master-pieces one and all. A true Canadian treasure.

While Malcolm Lowry technically isn't Canadian, he did write Under the Volcano while living in British Columbia, and you can't tell me that's not a fucking dark novel.

It's a desperate and short lived scene and basically every other page in the book is about how desperately lonely she is.

you can be an utter faggot about it but at the end of the day you're going to jack off to trap shota vore so how about you get over the bear fucking

and yeah I have been stuck on a ranch by myself for extended periods of time, I have thought about fucking an animal, so fuck you

Hey leafs, I need to read a book by a Canadian author published in the last 4 years for uni. Any recommendations?

is this a country? i've never heard of

This

Canada has tons of good writers. Try reading more.

There are some local bookstores here in NS which have tons of Canadiana, I've been meaning to go pick some out, I assume there are many underappreciated gems.

Fifteen Dogs – André Alexis
Hermes and Apollo grant human consciousness to a group of dogs in the name of settling a bet. The dogs are torn between two alternatives: continuing with their old dog life and resisting the changes or embracing their new lifestyle.

thought Ondaatje was from RSA

How is it possible for a country with such a small population to have so few popular writers?

35m mostly white people aint a small country, m8

Bookmark on Spring Garden in Haliwood ftw

At least Canada is better than Cuckstralia

You're New Age yuppie trash.

Didn't even know he was Canadian. I thought he was from Minnesota or some such hellhole.

All trash.

I really enjoyed this. Only canada book i've read

You've read not a single fucking word of any of those books, so forgive me if I disregard your useless opinion.

Stop making up names. 1/2 of these are just taken straight out of an old phone book.

Most individual countries don't have much in terms significant literary contribution when you go through the list. Canada is a low population country without a very interesting history, it's not much of an outlier.

Guy Vanderhauge you cucks get on it

You seem like a very uneducated, arrogant person who is most likely not enjoyable to be around in real life.

You seem like a smelly French faggot who needs to fuck off back to Europe

You first, Quebec.

You seem like a crooked teeth anglo that needs to go back to Europe.

Actually I am not French at all and live in BC. But cool assumption.

betabux quebcois losers detected. even france doesn't want you LMAO

0/10

We were here first, faggot~~~

SORT YOURSELF OUT

If you are monolingual in a bilingual country you are probably a sheltered person.

Quebec literary culture is where it's at.

As another posted said, learn french.

God the Quebecois are so pathetic. At least the real French have reasons to be chauvinistic.

Second this.

Quebec also produces way better music than the rest of canada. Why are anglos so useless?

Pierre Burton

Just like USA, but USA floods the world with his trash 24/7 as a way of imperialism.

All former colonies are shit.

Before you all say fuck Quebec, Gabrielle Roy

And yet 90% of Canadians speak English as their first language. Your ancestors must have been some seriously spineless cucks

Yes, if you prefer Celine Dion to Rush, I suppose so.

At least you're not Australian

Bakker

I'm sure Canada and Australia still have more writers of note than New Zealand.

We have Katherine Mansfield, C.K. Stead, Maurice Gee, maybe Janet Frame if you're into that kinda thing, and that's about it. And Mansfield is probably the only one that's well-known outside NZ.

But that's statistically wrong, it's like 20%.

>Ondaatje
What is it with people endearingly eating up the works of race baiters?

Do you think it's "eye opening" when you read a person talking about racial differences and unnecessarily making said differences a big deal?

Are you one of the rare few that still give CNN and Buzzfeed views?

Did he write literature? I thought he was just political/theological.

William Gairdner is one of my favourite Canadian authors but he doesn't write literature either.

Stephen Leacock is another one of my favourites...He wrote a lot of great short stories, and also so political/economic stuff.

Gordon Lightfoot will go down as one of the best songwriters of all time. A lot of his songs become successful as covers by more famous singers.

Haven't read any, have you? His prose is beautiful, and his plots aren't "race baiting." Go read a book.

She was from Manitoba, though her work
is associated with Montreal

MALCOLM

L
O
W
R
Y

Lowry was great, you should read The Forest Path to Spring

If under the volcano is like inferno, then forest path is paradiso

Mac DeMarco's new album seems to refute your argument

No argument was made except an appeal to authority. OP is a (self) hater.

No wonder they want to secede from you