Isn't all engineering just applied mathematics? Hell isnt even physics just applied mathematics...

Isn't all engineering just applied mathematics? Hell isnt even physics just applied mathematics? Am I just in a glorified specialized math degree?

If you wanna get that reductionist, literally fucking everything everywhere all the time forever is "applied mathematics".

But then... what is mathematics?
>vapor wave plays in the background

Man, I'm trying to stop being a fucking div so I can apply some CSS.

I'm not a fucking developer though, just an engineer.

Mathematics is applied theology

It's counting.

The study of mathematical structures

no

engineers - build shit
physicist - model the physical universe
math - develop and explore logical structures

applied math: jack off into a plate of shit and rub your chest in it. also wavelets

This is True. Thank you for the 3-sat solution.

>arithmetic - counting things
>algebra - counting unknown things
>geometry - counting shapes and things
>calculus - counting curves and things
>topology - counting surfaces and things
>number theory - counting counting and things

Mathematics are just generalized physics

>calculus - counting very many very small things

Mathematics is applied logic.

The construction of new concepts and ideas - born only from what the human mind can perceive as an absolute truth.

Or, in a less poetic sense, it's the study of numbers.

>Differential equations - counting things that can count other things, then counting those things, and counting the last thing you counted just to make sure

Uh, technically I guess if you distilled it down to it's pure essence but in practice it doesn't work like that.

There are layers of abstraction on top of that math that greatly simplify computations. If you have an amplifier sure you can model the behavior of every single electron flowing through the circuit and how every single external electric and magnetic field effects them blah blah blah but you'll be doing a shit ton of work for no tangible benefit whereas you can use much simpler abstracted equations for things like gain, frequency response, etc. and while they are technically approximations they are very good one's suitable for just about anything you want to do until you start getting into microwave frequencies at which point we go from using the lumped model to the distributed model.

Also with engineering there are non-math related problems to solve as well. When designing something that's design to do a particular thing you need to know what elements you need to use to accomplish that thing. If I want to build say a spectrum analyzer I first need to consider the frequency range I want to view. You then need to know you may need an input attenuator, particularly for RF. After you need to decide on your topology. Do you want real-time analyzer with discrete filters? FFT based digital analyzer? Swept-tuned? Each one has different design considerations. You need many bandpass filters for RTA. You need an ADC and a MCU/FPGA for FFT and the ability to program it. Swept tuned requires frequency mixing elements (Gilbert cell, diode ring mixer, Schottky diode mixer, etc.) plus a VCO to create the swept local oscillator then you need a bandpass filter and if you want a small RBW you may need several stages and then you need a log amp on the end and your display driver.

Once you know what functional units you need and how they interact with one another you can start to work out the math of various stages to achieve the parameters you want.

Some BS on Math gets massive job opportunity if don't was so autist mostly engineering are so bad on math.

Engineering means build products in big team on time and budget.

as an electrical engineer student, seeing by my classmates, it is not because most engineers can't do proper math

>Hell isnt even physics just applied mathematics?
no

Calling something "applied X" does not automatically demote it as an inferior field of study.

This board is too obsessed with college majors and "field purity." Most people on this board who claim to be interested in math and science really just want to jerk off to how smart they think they are.

Not really. You have to learn how to engineer essentially, it actually takes some time to learn. This is part of the reason why Physics and Math BS's are rarely hired to engineering (excluding CS) positions. Physics and Math majors also would have massive spasms at the at the encounter of the simplificatipns virtually every engineering discipline does to math and physics, because its done often to make engineering not autistically difficult and also because the exact details and nuances of the math and physics involved don't really matter at all.

fucking what lmao physics is nothing more than applied math

false