Start with the declensions

study its alphabet and grammar

with a teacher

Just like any other language, frogshit.

Step 1: Read the Russian classics in English
Step 2: Realize you don't need to learn Russian anymore
Step 3: ????
Step 4: no step 4 because you already profited on step 2

This tbqh. Russian is magnificent, but it would take you an unreasonable amount of time to learn compared to other great literary languages. Unless you're planning to live in Russia or become a Slavist, it's just bad time management.

t. pyccкий

Don't listen to this yeбaн, russian is no more difficult than any other language. Spend some time cramming the cases (you won't ever remember them all, just try and get the feel of it), memorize 1000 core words, and slowly make your way through some simple text. I recommend the Bible, it's written in a very plain and repetitive language and makes for a great study. Thats what I use for my latin.
transcripture.com/english-russian-genesis-1.html

Russian is much harder to learn than any Romance or Germanic language for non-Slavic natives. Especially when we're taking about fully comprehending and appreciating classic literature and not just conversational level. That's a well-known and universally acknowledged fact. Stop shilling, eблo yтинoe.

Is there a simpler slavic language that would make the transition easier and still be worthwhile in itself?

No.

eтo мaмa

I doubt it would help. It's the innate sense of language natives possess which helps the most. Polish and Czech are the next best Slavic ones for literature. The rest are negligible, though I'm told former Yugos have great modern writers.

Ukrainian is a severly retarded russian variant, not sure why would you learn it though

Just spend time learning it, when you have used a lot of time on it, it's easy. That's usually how it goes.

э - з
ы - ь

Redbull me on how these letters survived in this form. This grieves me.

>redbull me on my aesthetic preferences
yey лaд

I don't speak a slavic language but it just seems like common sense that the time you spend learning the transition language would be better spent learning russian.

Russians also always write in cursive, it was weird for me to learn that americans don't

Thank you, my ниггpйcы

What is harder to learn, Russian or Japanese?

Japanese.

The Cyrillic alphabet is confusing as fuck, since a lot of the letter look the same as English, but have the sounds of other letter.

Japanese is kind of hard, but pronounciation is far easier. I remember when I studied it in elementary school and the only read hard part was learning how to write each character. I remember reading and memorising them was easy because they had repetitive sounds.

They're all like "a" "i" "u" "e" "o"
Ta chi tsu te to
Ba bi bu be bo
Ka ki ku ke ko

Sorry, typos. Also:
>Russian is harder, Japanese is easier.

Why would you learn a terrible language?
>Russian is harder

>yeбaн
Juden?

No, but close

People actually try and write distinguishably when not memeing, though.

we do, writers and poets of the last 150 years are god-tier

>мa ниггa

This is a perfectly intelligible word

It is, but still it takes a second. A couple of underscores for ш or an extra mm of spacing would make it much easier to read.

>Slavic lgs.
>simple
>ever

No way, senpai. It takes lots of effort.

Shit post on dvach

Underrated.

>A couple of underscores for ш or an extra mm of spacing would make it much easier to read.
I literally never saw anyone do such things. I remember a guy from school who drew a macron over his cursive т's for aesthetic purposes I suppose, but that's it

Learn Serbo-Croatian, it's easier to pronounce.

I've seen quite a few people doing it, though you're right the t thing is more widespread.

>thinks he can understand Pushkin, Blok, and Mayakovsky in english

>Mayakovsky
Toвapищ,
нaхyй
иди
co вкycoм
cвoим плeбeйcким!
He тo
пo poжe
дaм
caпoгoм
apмeйcким.

this, if you are not a slav

instead learn french - it's english in disguise and has a similar literary tradition

Want a short real answer? You cant
You have to been born there and lived there for like 10 years

carefully

Poland actually has aa-mazing lit but no one knows about it - when i saw some of the classics in eng translation i literally dropped dead on the spot

There's a lot of Polish lit in Russia and in Germany.

Boт тaк.

youtube.com/watch?v=GwKvw2bzMqg
Negroes can speak russian on a serviceable level, you have no excuse

Slowly. I'm 9 months in now and have just about become conversational. Reading anything more complex than childrens books is still beyond me, mostly because of vocabulary.

What you'll want to do is start with Duolingo to get the very very basics (like basic vocab and prepositions), then move to a simple grammar book. I used The New Penguin Russian Course and cannot recommend it enough. Use this to get up to speed with grammar. After this you reach the hardest part, vocabulary, listening and practical usage. Vocab is just a matter of grinding it out (I use anki decks for this), while listening is best done by watching youtube videos until you begin to make out words. There is not much point in this unless you have the basic vocabulary required to understand conversational Russian.

Actual sentence construction and talking is harder. I've recently turned to iTalki, and because I'm autistic ignore everyone who wants to skype with me and focus on the writtten language, as there are no Russians where I live anyway. iTalki is great for learning Russian as if you're fluent in english you'll get about 20 people messaging you a day on it asking to do some language exchange. Usually around 60% of these are attractive females.

>non-natives are unable to master palatalization even after years of practice
>can almost instantly tell if anyone is non-native when talking to them
>tfw your language has built-in spy protection

>duolingo penguin italki
>not just buying a mail-order bride
Плeб.

When you're right, you're right desu

For any Russians lurking, is it true that the average Russian reads a lot?

I just read some Alexievich and it seems like everyone she interviews reads, from janitors to farmers. Just how well read is the average Russian?

Well they have to what with most of the country being too third world to have phones or internet :^)

Yes, we used to be and still are one of the most well-read nations.

>using a smiley with carrot nose
Not really, fampai.

>He doesn't understand sarcasm

I suppose it's true when they say that all Russians are autistic

>he was only being retarded ironically
Joke's on me.

First, you have to understand the paradigm of case-based languages. In english, syntax (position) dictates the context.
>x punched y
X is always the puncher, Y is always the punched one, no matter what. Reading any of these words separately gives you no clue about their function in a sentence.
In russian, the syntax carries no meaning on it's own and this function is delegated to particular cases of every word. Despite seemingly cumbersome structure, this is in many ways advantageous, for example, in a similar sentence
>Кoшкy yкycилa coбaкa (a dog bit a cat)
Just by reading the first word Кoшкy, you already know that it's the object

this guy gets it here's what I did OP:
1. Download Pimsleur Russian, do all of those
2. Work through the Penguin course, put the words in your Anki
3. Find a Russian to skype with to practice (i'd say more like 99% hot grills)
4. Work through some short stories
5. Watch music videos with lyrics
6. ???
7. profit

Do you like Pimsleur? I've found it to be of limited usefulness, and then only in the early stages

Don't listen to this blyad, Russian is objectively one of the hardest languages to learn for an native speaker of English. Learn a language that's easier and even more patrician, like French.

It's just an easy way to get you speaking right away and to get you familiar with some basic phrases right away. It obviously has limitations but I haven't found anything better that gets you going immediately.

Yeah it's still not that fucking hard. All of the difficulties are in grammar. These hurdles will largely be passed in any European language you learn in less than 6 months.

What the fuck does 'not that' mean, retard? It's the hardest language of the ones with a large literary tradition and it's the hardest of all European languages save for Hungarian, Finnish and Caucasian ones. Stop giving bad advice and blurting out vacuous drivel, you mentally handicapped piece of shit.

What I'm saying is that no language is that fucking hard to learn you idiot. Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and get away from the "language learning is extremely hard" meme. Learning languages is not that fucking hard if you're willing to put in literally any amount of regular work.

Хocпaди, дa cпиздyй yжe oбpaтнo нa двaчики, и тaм выcиpaй cвoю дeвcтвeннyю нeнaвиcть

>no language is that fucking hard
What is 'that fucking hard', you illiterate cretin? Every other language with comparable or greater literary tradition is easier to learn than Russian. That's the whole fucking point of advice given here - time efficiency. Fucking kill yourself, oligophrenic.

What I'm saying is that the distinction between easy language and hard language that you are making is not as large as you would have people believe. Sure, it's not as time efficient to study Russian as it is to study French, but literally nobody is choosing a language based on fucking time efficiency, so your arguments are retarded and make me think that you're some kind of autist.

>literally nobody is choosing a language based on fucking time efficiency
Literally everyone learning a foreign language is, especially for recreational interests like literature. Only worthless neets are not considering time efficiency of such tasks. Not to mention that on the scale of eventual practical usefulness Russian is very much below others as well. The arguments are entirely reasonable and the fact that you can't comprehend them and apparently don't value your time indeed shows that I'm an autist. If only for trying to reason with an imbecile.

Be born and raised in Russia

But why would I want to be born and raised there, it's a shithole

> i literally dropped dead on the spot
And on the 3rd page, you rose again?

Byв Лaд = Wew Lad
yey лaд woud be pronounced Uyeu lad

This

>Byв Лaд
Voov lad?

B is used in most cases of W Transliteration.
e = ye not e or oo as in wew

Why be smug about that? Why judge people that are interested in your culture and language? Do you seriously think natives of other languages can't do the same?

Portuguese has four or five phonems that do the same thing, no biggie.

>Кoшкy
Why did the noun have a shift in the last letter in a sentence like this. Why doesn't the cat just remain "кoшкa"

It's not being smug, just an observation. Russian is very hard to speak accent free.

Because it's in the accusative case. This how you know it is the direct object of the verb and why you can use any word order you like

Because endings are used for inflection in Russian.

Not knowing what a Grammatical case is . . .

>tfw your native language is even harder to pronounce for foreigners than Russian is

>tfw it's also totally irrelevant and everyone in the area speaks English anyway so it doesn't matter

Hi Netherlands

What's your language, sempai? Gaelic? Welsh? Scandidutch?

Nope, Ireland.

Most of my own country doesn't even speak it

Dutch is on of the easiest ranked langues for L1 English speakers to learn. Russian is the forth hardest for L1 Eng speakers.

Some of your own country isn't even in your country.

Can one of you become my pen pal for Russian studying? I know a lot of Russian speakers, but they're so detached with the laws of the written language that it's hard to get them to give a clear answer to questions about syntax, grammar and the likes. I just a week ago, but I really want to do this. I'm not monolingual, so the prospect itself doesn't scare me; I'd just like some backup.

What would that entail? How smart are you? Will there be any sexual favors?

It is just sneezing and you are pretending it means things. You wont trick me, Mic.

I'm Irish, not Dutch.
I'm also talking only about pronunciation. Irish is easy grammatically.

Don't fucking remind me. I live on the border and do all my shopping in the north so Brexit may well fuck me.

It's all a vast conspiracy to fool the brits, sorry you were rused friend

I can help if you'd like, I'm intermediate/conversational. I know the grammar pretty well. How do you propose to do this?

My skype is m_gorv, I'm open to using another software if that's needed.

there are tons of russians and russian learners in language threads on /int/ senpai

/marked/

Slovene