How does one get better at converting word problems into solvable mathematical equations?

how does one get better at converting word problems into solvable mathematical equations?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Math-Word-Problems-Dummies-Sterling/dp/0470146605
cimat.mx/ciencia_para_jovenes/bachillerato/libros/algebra_gelfand.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Literally disregard all the words. Look for quantities first, find out what those quantities are of, and find out what function they want applied to those quantities. I have always found word problems super easy, and half the time i dont even bother figuring out what the problem actually says, i just look for key words and quantities. If its quantities of apples then apples are hence forth reffed to as x.

Referred* god i suck

I had so many problems with this that I solved problems differently from my peers but after complaining it proved that the statement was ambiguous but i was the only one who picked the rare ambiguous solution

I don't know
I just do what needs to be done to solve the problem
It's always been like that for me

>tfw brainlet

amazon.com/Math-Word-Problems-Dummies-Sterling/dp/0470146605

Most people can't do word problems because they can't either a) do algebra or b) can't problem-solve. If you fix both of those then you will be fine.

gtfo with this gay shit and post the real shit
i can do both, how to get better?

>i can do both, how to get better?

If you can do both then you should be fine. Give me an example of something you can't do and we will assess from there.

see pic in op

no but really i struggle with a lot in general there's not one in particular, for example i just started gelfand's algebra and i can't solve a single one, he has given a solution for some of them but even when i see the solution it's hard to understand how he turned the problem into an equation and reached the solution so simply. like the first one involving 8, that is so fucking hard. i want to get better at this

if you don't have the book here's the link cimat.mx/ciencia_para_jovenes/bachillerato/libros/algebra_gelfand.pdf
and the problems start from page 3

like the first one involving 8, that is so fucking hard. how are you supposed to know that you have to start adding from the ones place and reach 0 ,etc. i would've never thought of that. the second problem is even harder.

i want to get better at this stuff

Actually do the opposite, understand the meaning behind the words. Language should be quite simple to mathematicians, it has a well-defined Syntax and Semantics

There are common phrases in English that you must know about such as "sum" to be able to turn it into an equation.

Question: "Several digits '8' are written and some + signs are inserted to get the sum 1000. Figure out how it is done."

Translation: Add a bunch of 8's together to get 1000.

The word sum literally means add things together. Here he wants you to do that with the number 8 to get 1000. You can arrange the 8's any way you feel like. If you know how addition works this is a simple problem. If you have a younger sibling, go ask them how to do it and have them explain it to you.

very funny. do you have any advice that's actually helpful?

>tfw brainlet

888+88+8+8+8=1000
>tfw 888IQ

it's semantics aren't well defined actually. There's much literature on the subject.

>tfw brainlet

>tfw you're being subjected to this nonsense in 2017

Are you fucking serious? He just explained how to parse each mathy word! If you don't understand how to look at words like sum, product, difference, etc. and know what they mean, then pick up the for dummies book you arrogant shitlord.

i'm not a dummy so that book is not for me. do you have any other book recommendations?

if you need to do this for some standardized test (SAT/GRE/ACT/whatever the fuck the kids are taking now), test prep material is going to be much more useful than this hispanic carpentry forum
just doing shitloads of the problems trains you as well

>tfw brainlet

user is less than a brainlet. Veeky Forums calls people who struggle with lower tier proofs brainlets, this guy can't even solve a fucking word problem