Why is this novel held in such high esteem?

why is this novel held in such high esteem?
just finished it and other than the beautiful language, nothing in particular stands out for me. can someone tell me why i'm a pleb?

because americans have zero good authors, and desperately try to convince themselves of the contrary by latching onto whoever appears to have the slightest hint of talent

You probably need a non-zero level of testosterone to find this interesting

If you truly wanted to know and weren't just fishing for shitposts to agree with you, you could've googled possibly "Harold Bloom Blood Meridian"

but since you didn't you came here for shitty oneliner shitposts to validate your pleb opinion.

btw. it's great book :v)

>why is this novel held in such high esteem?
>other than the beautiful language

Talk about missing the forest for the trees

so, is that it, just the language?

Not that user, but given that books are made of words, the fact that the combination of words used are beautiful is quite important.

It's probably not just that, though.

You probably just haven't put much thought into it yet, a good starting point for understanding the literary value of blood meridian is by comparing it to Moby Dick. We can see it as a continuation of the discussion of man's violent relationship to nature, you could even go as far as to draw a direct parallel between the judge and the white whale. Then by observing the differences between these two works, you can better understand the perspective of both books, how they see their own world, and how they discuss the timeless concept of survival. You could also think about the books relationship to the world at the time it was published, how it relates to different philosophical conceptions of power, the significance of sexual violence within the book, etc. You've got options.

This is just an idea to get you started, If you just want to be spoon fed analysis read Harold Bloom's opinion, but I don't think you will ever truly appreciate this (or any) book unless you come to some conclusions on your own.

>You probably just haven't put much thought into it yet, a good starting point for understanding the literary value of blood meridian is by comparing it to Moby Dick. We can see it as a continuation of the discussion of man's violent relationship to nature, you could even go as far as to draw a direct parallel between the judge and the white whale. Then by observing the differences between these two works, you can better understand the perspective of both books, how they see their own world, and how they discuss the timeless concept of survival. You could also think about the books relationship to the world at the time it was published, how it relates to different philosophical conceptions of power, the significance of sexual violence within the book, etc. You've got options.
Whoa, people are violent!!!!!! whoah!!!! WHOAHH!!!! ***Moby Dick is several degrees of magnitude better than BM by the way.

Criteria for idiotic response:
Little understanding of grammar
Failure to respond to anything in the post
Baseless evaluative statement

You passed!

I was succinct. You used 50 words to say that BM is like Moby Dick in that they both explore violence.

Just watch amy hungerfords lecture.

>you probably haven't put much thought into it
>is only able to name the themes

>What, people like this painting because it's beautiful?
>What, people like this symphony because it's beautiful?
>What

You both just completely skipped over the last sentence of my post. Cool guys

>bloodred bloodred bloodred bloodred BLOODRED bloodred bloodred

Melville, Milton, Bible, Chamberlain, Gnosticism, Faulkner

>What, people like this woman because she's beautiful?
>What, people like this country because it's beautiful?

There's more to life and more to art than superficial beauty, user.

Apart from the beautiful prose, I really enjoyed the pacing of the book (the sense that the longer the journey, the more mental and physical deterioration develops) and I ended up finding the characters to be interesting too, especially the ambiguity and tension that follows The Judge. He feels almost supernatural - how can one man hold such knowledge, but such a determination to hunt out others? The sequence in the book where he's trying to track down The Kid was fascinating for me. This book implements ambiguity wonderfully too.

Plus, it's a superficial reason really but the violence is vibrant and graphic. I won't recommend a book due to its violence alone, but I can't deny that how Cormac details such vicious acts wasn't somewhat intriguing to read.

I have to re-read it sometime but from what I remember it was a pretty damn fine book.

Read what you posted. Think long and hard about how stupid you are. You don't need to post again.

Thanks for the post user but that sounds like a lot of work and my copious amount of time spent on the internet and lack of any meaningful social interaction means that I can only think in memes.

>and they rode on and the sun was red and the ground was dusty and life was hard and they cooked some beans and he spat and the judge was edgy and he ate some tortillas. Nigger.

Good post.