Who is the Michael Haneke of contemporary literature?

Who is the Michael Haneke of contemporary literature?

Musil, even if not contemporary.

Tepid and anachronistic. I'm sure there are several

I'd say Elfriede Jelinek / Peter Rosei but it would be partial and obvious.
We can go back to Dostoyevski, Zola, Chekhov or even Maupassant.
Today? Benedetti?

dave's not here, man

Uh Coetzee duh, they're pretty much a perfect match.

and you don't just match them because of beard and grey hair?
also Coetzee is a fucking recluse, Haneke is a monter. In literature? I don't know, man. Coetzee doesn't seem so cold.

monster
I meant tyrant

I've read almost everything by Coetzee, and I'd say he's incredibly cold - his content might not be, but his style and hyper-rational present tense 3rd person narration certainly are. They both deal with 'difficult' social issues, particularly racism, immigrant experiences, being lost in history, individuals being confronted with negative aspects of the zeitgeist. The White Ribbon, Hour of the Wolf, Cache - c'mon, these could be Coetzee adaptations.

You got me interested, user. I sit and listen

>Who is the Michael Haneke of contemporary literature?

idk a writer who is secretly funded by George Soros just like Haneke is?

omg you are stupid

Now what do you want to know young man?

didn't Haneke just give us the most accurate interpretation of Franz Kafka's "The Castle"?

I've seen three of the adaptations. His is the best. Not my favorite Haneke, but it's decent. I'd say that if you like the sort of 'classical european' autuer cinema of the 60s and 70s then The White Ribbon is probably the best of that style of film.

Coetzee overtly moralizes more than Haneke does, but they both obviously like to put their fingers on difficult questions. Haneke doesn't seem to have the more abstract surrealism that Coetzee displays in the Jesus novels and Elizabeth Costello - I'd say that's their biggest difference.

>this can't be true fuck off no way

Go and check, triggered idiot.

Is there a filmmaker as widely regarded as him but is somehow even less diverse?

The proof, idiot.

Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Nuri Bilge Ceylan

Someone describe to me the typical features of a Haneke film

Pretty accurate, but I like ping pong just the same.

steady-cam
long shots, long scenes, long opening takes
greatest acting ever
realism
NO MUSIC

Did you mean diverse or divisive?

If diverse then Villeneuve springs to mind. His movies are cold and clinical just like Haneke's.

I meant diverse. I was saying he's shit.

the lastest Villeneuve's is very very warm and friendly
also Haneke is like Bergman. But Bergman had a soul. Haneke is pure scientific observer.

Last Bump before the war

Bumpensturmbannfuhrer

So pretty much a rip-off of a Kubrick film?

Haneke is anti melodramatic and doesn't gove a fuck about being artsy like kubrick or malick. So no.

No

I'd say, if we consider this in categories of rip-offs and not intertextuality, he is the new Ingmar Bergman. He also likes to torture his actors... just like Kubrick or Herzog.

>Kubrick
>realism
>long shots
>greatest acting ever
>no music

is there another Kubrick i don't know about besides Stan or you don't know what the fuck are you talking about?

Pleb