What is your worst kitchen related injury that ever happened?

What is your worst kitchen related injury that ever happened?

Pic slightly related I burnt my hand on the griddle at work

I tried to open up a freezie pop with a knife and ended up slicing my thumb open pretty good

Grabbed a pan that I forgot had been in the preheating oven for a while. Didn't feel any heat or pain right away, walked around holding it for a bit then suddenly felt intense pain and threw it onto top of stove. Ran hand under cold water for 45 minutes while sweating and struggling to stand. Entire lower part of fingers and top part of palm was blistered, about 30% of my hand. Still get nervous whenever I go to grab that pan, even if it hasn't been in the oven.

> Ran hand under cold water
Thats' where you fucked up. That's how you get blisters son.

>implying blisters aren't caused by the serverity of the burn

It was just cold from the tap, not freezing cold. And I think if you get blisters or not depends on how severe the burn is. I think you're supposed to run it under water anyway to help bring the temperature down.

Self-inflicted by a torch.

I am OP and when I showed my gf the blister in the picture she said 'didn't you run it under cold water?' I said no not at all. She said 'that's why it blistered'

get a new gf then shes retarded

Done the same user. 1 year on still have a scar on my hand from the blister

nah, what you do is rub butter on it

won't help, actually it will make the burn worse, but it smells fantastic

Yes, user is right. Water temperature is fine from the tap

Didn't happen to me, but sounds painful.
My dad used to work at a restaurant, and he needed to fry something, so he asked his partner if the fryer was on. To check if it was on, his partner just walks over and dips his hand in the fryer, and sure enough, it was on.

I can't say I've really injured myself that badly in the kitchen before

One time I grated off a knuckle it wasn't serious but it was worse than any knife injury or burn I've suffered

Dropped a soda bottle onto my foot and broke it.

The bottle broke? Or your foot broke?

What the fuck
Let's assume it was coke, with a density of 1.042g/mL but whatever it's not like other fizzy drinks have a density much greater/lower than that.
Assuming the bottle was 2L then that bottle hit your foot with a force of 20.44N
How in the fuck did you break your foot

a few years back I had to clean the flat-top at work. You know, pumice stone and grease.
Put too much grease on it and it slashed all over my exposed arms and into my eyes, hurt like hell and screwed me up bad for a few months
Surprisingly it didn't leave a scar despite the burns being so large.

OP, you're supposed to cook the eggs in the frying pan not in your hand.

I stabbed myself in the penis.
Worst part is that I was trying to cook dinner for a girl. I was cooking a shrimp pie and when I was trying to slice into a Plantain, and I tried to do it standing in front of her, pretending the Plantain was my dick as a joke. I slipped and the knife went right through. had to go to the fucking hospital cos of this shit.

a bit of hot oil splashed on me

p. hardcore man

make sure you show that to potential employers during job interviews

but let's assume that it's a glass bottle that is roughly half the size so it's only 11 Newtons crashing onto the foot, now let's assume that it's the worst case scenario.

Let's assume that say, the corner only hit so it's only 1 cm^2 of total area. So doing some dimensional analysis, the amount of pressure on the small portion of foot is 111000 pascals, which is roughly 16 psi. In an instant, that is 16 psi focused on a very small portion of the foot which should be enough to crack a small bone like a metatarsal.

I see, you are correct. However, would it not be rather unlikely for only 1/cm^2 of bottle to be in contact with the metatarsal? I can't find any data about the dimensions of the base of a glass coke bottle but assuming a diameter of 6cm we arrive at a surface area of 28.3cm^2.
OP must have been seriously fucking unlucky.

Those big Mexican glass cokes are roughly 4 cm diameter and it's rare that a random uncontrolled drop from some klutz lands exactly on its base.

Even if it's a plastic 2l bottle that's still comes out to about the same if not more force due to the diameter of one of the corner pegs on the bottles being both rigid and roughly 1.5 cm diameter, assuming only one peg hits of course.

Yeah its pretty shitty luck anyway

I got all sore from peeling kiwis when all the bristles rubbed up and down against my skin ;_;

When I was a kid I tried to light the gas-grill in our boat for no specific reason. The matches were a bit moist though and sparked, but didn't want to catch fire. Meanwhile, the gas was already on, while I was still hacking away matches on the matchbox.

Suddenly one lit up. But the joy from that didn't last long, because all I remember next was a big whoosh and the smell of burned hair.

Nothing was burning, so I quickly turned the gas off, and walked out like nothing happened. Apparently my missing hair and eyebrows, the big flash of light from the boat, and the smell of burning had already given away what I had been doing.

My face felt like I had severe sunburn for days.

>this level of misinformation and stupidity

Yea, the same treatment that emergency first responders will give you for the majority of burns below 3rd degree is obviously the wrong thing to do. If only more medical professionals knew the hidden gems in your wive's tales. God, I've been thinking about it wrong this whole time!

they used to tell you not to sleep after a concussion

I work at a station, people walk up and expect you to make it for them on the spot. I have 8 burners, and above them, a cold spot for the stuff I cook. ("ingredients" for the average Veeky Forums user)

well the retard who was instructing me left a goddamn tong hanging over the 'cold area' directly over the flame of the 'hot area'

my illiterate and illegal cooking instructor said
'put this in that' and I grabbed a RED HOT tong.
Since then I have become the exective chef and have cut all the dumb illegals out of the kitchen and now life is good.

don't put up with some dumb idiot telling you to put the you know what in the you know where.

when dealing with food language is imperative, ask for planograms, diagrams or a simple written recepie when dealing with aliens in the kitchen.

SUGAR BURN
U
G
A
R

don't mess with immersion blenders.

>two years ago
>busy lunch rush
>run out of salad
>go prep some more
>somebody calls my name
>look over while I keep chopping
>end of the knife comes down on my thumb
>it is super sharp and feels like a paper cut at first
>suddenly begins to bleed and throb painfully

I learned to keep my eyes on the blade after that. Took about a month to heal and for the nail to grow out.

There was a different time when was leaning over the fryer and a drop of sweat rolled off of my nose and into the hot oil. It made the oil pop and a droplet hit my tearduct, it hurt so bad that I had to just step away for a couple of minutes and let the pain subside.

I also seared my pinky on a really hot flat top that had oil on it.

Protip if you get burned with hot oil: immediately dunk your burn in icy water and keep it there for as long as you can stand. I'm not sure why, but every time I have done this, the burn doesn't swell up and fill with liquid like in op's photo.

Same as you, I have never injured myself with a knife unless I was distracted. Lots of little fingertip cuts from the produce department.

That was the first and last time for me.

I forgot to mention that there was this other time when my coworkers dropped a pot of boiling water by my feet. I kicked off my shoes and took off my socks as quickly as I could, but some of it got through and blistered my toes.

I'm happy when I make it through the day without any accidents.

I had some burn damage on my fingers which led into getting a irritating skin condition on my hand that lasted for years.

>don't mess with immersion blenders.
Fuck. Ok. I will NOT mess with immersion blenders. Fuck. I might even give mine away on Craigslist. Holy fuck.

But srsly. You down for a handy?

I just about cut the tip off my finger the other night making ramen. Dumbass.

boiling hot refried beans to the nose. shit was busy as fuck though so I just wiped off and went on

just got done cooking ground sausage and i went to cook an egg in the grease. I had the grease too hot and when it egg plopped in the grease hopped out the pan and onto my foot. I'd say it left a blister about 2-3 times bigger than that on the top of my foot. so no shoes for a few days, thank god for summer vacation.

You just reminded me of that poor lady that put hot beans in her blender and they exploded in her face

You need to be a special kind of retard to touch the blade while the cord is in the plug.

>cutting yourself making ramen

Were you adding veggies and stuff?

That's still valid, is to evaluate neurologic response. Sleepness means less O2/ circulation is going correctly to the brain.

I was cutting up a veg stock mirepoix. Dicing while watching television. I did this once about 5 years ago and caught 2 fingers in it. My kitchen looked like the kill floor of an abattoir. Drinking really thins the blood.

Was melting shugar for decorating the cake, i dipped my finger in on accident. I don't really feel the heat as much since i'm a grill, so i left the molten caramelized shugar on my finger while I finished the decoration. Big mistake, it left a blister that fell off in three days and left a hole in my skin. I didn't dare to remove nailpolish with acetone since i had a gaping wound. Now i have a scar, sad sob

touched the skin of my forearm to a fresh baking pan, ended up with minor scar
have yet to cut myself
get bruises on my thighs all the time from slamming into protruding metal parts

a guy i know had a steamer blow up on him (he's ok)

pulling sheetpans of meat out of an overloaded combi, very top one is slightly above my head. bitch tilts as I'm grabbing it and hot meat juice goes all over my arm, side, and thigh. my reaction? yell fuck then keep on keepin on

i've never had anything besides minor cuts/burns, but my mom was at work a few years ago and someone dropped a huge pot of near-boiling broth on her feet

she couldn't walk for weeks, it was horrible

Stupidly threw something in some hot oil without thinking and had it splatter over my forearm. Thankfully it wasn't a lot of oil, so only a few blotches caught my skin, but they've left permanent marks.

You didnt feel the heat because youre a grille.....its because youre a fuckin idiot

Tfw you come to Veeky Forums to get away from your scar kink on /d/. Tfw Veeky Forums only reinforces the kink you wanted to repress.
Why must you do this to me, you beautiful hand?

The idea is to get the temperature down as quickly as possible. The damage has been done

I think you already fucked up when you pretended one of your ingredients was your dick

I was at a party at the park with a charcoal bbq.
I saw what appeared to be an unlit briquette lying on the ground not far from the grill.
I picked it up and immediately felt a searing heat in the palm of my hand. I quickly dropped the briquette but it stilled branded my hand with the logo of the charcoal company.

One of the only consistently proven techniques to minimize tissue damage and reduce blistering for first and second degree burns is to immediately cool down the wound with cool (not ice cold–this can make it worse) water. This is in every first aid and medical text.

I burnt my arm trying to flip some frozen chicken tenders in a toaster oven. It doesn't hurt, due to autism.

It has to be fake, right? How could you fuck up so badly?

Maybe next time you won't put your unsanitary fingers in the food and use a spoon if you want a taste

Poured about 250 gram of liquid hot butter of my bare foot once. Had to bandage it for 2 weeks.

> Slicing sausage with a knife for omelette
> Slice thumb by accident
> Knife goes down right on top my my thumb
> Nail flakes off where it was hit, blood all over.
> No real damage to the finger
> Resolve to sharpen knife

> Peeling potatoes
> Slip
> Peel side of fingertip
> Peel it COMPLETELY OFF
> Faint but permanent mark where it grew back

Food-related but not cooking
> Clearing up after morning deliveries at work
> Stack dollies too high
> Hit top of doorframe
> Top one slides off, drops on my head
> Major concussion
> Minor brain damage
> Don't remember much of the next 6 months
> Still suffering memory issues
I legitimately broke my brain and it looks like I'm never getting my memory back.

Safety boots, user.

I cracked my breast bone trying to get a heavy box down from the top shelf in the back. Corner landed right on the bone and I still have a slight bump 4 years later.

Most frequent "injury" is red and raw hands from washing them so much.

apply for disability bruh you'll be set for life

Put a pizza into the oven. My coworker didn't see that my arm was still in there when he tried shutting the oven door and pressed the metallic and well-heated frame of the oven doort into my arm. The next day at work I was handling the produce brought by the delivery man, slipped with my hand and cut open the burn with the edge of the box the produce was in. Another time I had some hot oil spill over my entire left hand, making it look like I was a leper. Both incidents hurt like shit but it could've been worse.

when i was 3 i begged my dad to cook me some bacon and being the little shitter i am i grabbed at the pan and it tilted sending burning grease on my face

>pressed the metallic and well-heated frame of the oven door into my arm

Anyone who hasn't burned the living shit out of their arms and/or hands while working with pizza isn't a true 'za-slinger. I worked at two pizza places when I was younger and got burned at each. It was a mark of ascension

that's the force it would have applied if the bottle was just placed there
in reality, even with a bottle of about 2kg you have to consider that the force will be higher than 20N because of the acceleration of gravity, and the force will not be evenly distributed on the foot it lands on - say a surface of 2cm^2 hits the foot, and that's generous if the bottle lands vertically
Assuming the bottle starts falling from 150cm from your foot, the kinetic energy when it reaches it is a bit less than 30J.
Guessing your foot will be compressed by about 1cm, and that's also probably generous, the average force applied by the object if it was a point would be a bit less than 3kN, which (now I'm not really sure of this but whatever) is 1.5kN per cm^2 of your foot, about the same force applied by a 300kg object being placed on 2cm^2 of your foot.

so you're very much wrong

Jesus christ. How bad was it? Scarring? Your poor dad must have felt fucking awful

I was cutting very ripe grape tomatoes with a not enough sharp knife, to do so I was holding one tomato at a time with thumb and index finger, putting the blade in the middle and slicing, and it was working well enough.
I then decided to try holding half the tomato with more fingers, the knife pretty much splattered the tomato and went some 15mm into my thumb, sideways, 1 to 2cm from the tip.
Had to use a bandage to cover my nail and keep it from being teared off when doing everyday shit.
I like sharp knives better.

That's some pretty hardcore method acting.

Sorry for the picture quality.

Opening a coconut.

I usually do it fast, chopping the outside layer into segments I pull off. Got distracted and the machete just went through the entire coconut, inside shell included. As a reflex, since the stroke felt wrong I sort of let the hand holding the coconut go limp and follow the blow with no resistance. It avoided further injury but did not save me.

Thought that was your dick for a sec

>Opening a coconut.

We've found her!

The only awful thing I really ever had was going to grab something hot out the oven without protection (as you do) and got burned. Other than that the odd occasion of catching my thumbnail on the potato peeler. And that one eerie time I did it washing a grate too (pic related).

Deep knife cut in the back of my hand when i was like 8 from the knuckles to the wristbone. Messed up the muscles a bit so my hand shakes a lot and legt a scar though its barely visible now. Didnt get any disability though. It doesnt affect me much besides the shaking. Motorfunctions are not affected in any way.

so what's the context here? two shmucks with no service experience somehow found the capital to open up a hipster joint?

It's from a TV show called The Restaurant.

I don't have a pic cause I was like 7 when it happened. I was cooking Easy Mac in the microwave and forgot to get a towel to pick up the bowl after it was done. I opened the microwave, really quickly grabbed the food and immediately spilled it all over my hand. My sister told me to stop crying and locked me in the basement for two hours. Probably had first degree burns all over my hand.

idiot here, can someone give me the science as to why it gets like that?

>I don't really feel the heat as much since i'm a grill,

Skin blisters and fills with liquid to keep the wound sterile while it heals.

why the varying colors (mine was different)? how's the liquid supposed to help sterilization?

That's still true ya dingus

>why the varying colors (mine was different)?
That I couldn't tell you. Every burn blister I've ever had has contained clear fluid.

>>how's the liquid supposed to help sterilization?
The liquid happens to be sterile. Not popping the blister is what maintains that sterile environment.

>why the varying colors (mine was different)? how's the liquid supposed to help sterilization?
It's a bunch of white blood cells and blood plasma. It helps sterilization because it keeps the wound moist and protected from the outside environment full of germs.

im a grill btw xD

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

>5 years ago
>Literally no experience cooking besides doing garnish at family catering business
>Decide to finally start cooking for myself
>Peeling potatoes to make fries
>Hand slips and I feel a sharp pain in my thumb
>Look down and potato is covered in blood
>I sliced the skin on my knuckle down to the bone
>Run wound under water, wrap it and throw out bloody potato
>Learn my lesson and actually use a peeler

I was using a knife the whole time without even acknowledging the danger, There's still a scar on the back of my thumb and i've since then learned proper knife safety

Yeah, make sure to get those manicured fingernails in the pic, roastie.

>shugar

Are you trolling or are you actually retarded?

>manicured
It's been a while since you saw a girl up close, hasn't it?

>something something about a New Zealand serial killer exclusively targeting beard men and skinning them for sexual satisfaction

Hot oil spilt onto my foot. No socks or shoes for weeks.

I'm not retarded just not a native English speaker.

>chopping turnips for some roasted vegetable thing I was making
>took necessary precaution and sliced off an end to create a flat surface so the turnip wouldn't roll when I was attempting to cut it
>motherfucker somehow rolled ANYWAY
>knife goes between my left thumb and forefinger, cuts down to bone
>blood everywhere
>fuuuuuck it's not stopping
>wash the cut, clean my counter off, tie paper towels around it, secure with rubber bands
>...should it still be bleeding? Whatever.
>had started getting a little dizzy so I made myself a cup of really strong Earl Grey and went back to cooking

Take note that it is a woman's hand

Literally 100% of men would have pulled it out, poured whatever over the counter antiseptic solution they had onto their hand, held back tears, wrapped that shit up and let it sit for a day.

Then again, a man wouldn't have done that in the first place.

Though a couple questions can be raised, like how the avocado resisted oxidation for the time it took to visit urgent care. A halved avocado starts going brown less than half an hour after it's exposed to oxygen, yet the avocado in pic looks like it was cut just before the photo was taken.

>Literally 100% of men would have pulled it out, poured whatever over the counter antiseptic solution they had onto their hand, held back tears, wrapped that shit up and let it sit for a day.

You must be an American. In the UK we'd be straight down to A&E to get that properly looked at.