This book is ugly. It's prose is ugly. I feel actively annoying when reading it, and I suspect it was part of the design

This book is ugly. It's prose is ugly. I feel actively annoying when reading it, and I suspect it was part of the design

ya I dont like it either. stories should be easily intelligible, or at least NOT an academic wankfest

Can one say they appreciate art with a straight face and dislike Ulysses?

If you think Ulysses is not easily intelligible, you might want to repeat grade school

>i'm too much of a fucking idiot to understand the most well written book of all time

ok. ok. wow. just... ok. when faggots like you comment about how bad you think ulysses is, it says a lot more about you than it does about ulysses. you fucking ignorant piece of shit. go back to your airport-tier faggot "literature"

I thought literature was subjective

Try again in 1 year after reading more books

.....nah it's a testament to memory, character, reflection, language, and who knows what else–I've only read it twice.

i mean i think about and admire Dubliners more, but c'mon

You are actively annoying.

>ugh, I don't even, like, ugh

You might like it more if you were either farting or being farted on while reading it

>and I suspect it was part of the design
Kind of. The book is an epitaph on the novel, at least in its traditional Victorian form. It's an attempt to kill it offf, true to the Modernist cause.

In fact there's a typographical hint that isn't reproduced in most editions: one of the later chapters ends with a gigantic full stop. It's intended not just to terminate the chaper, but the whole literary form of the novel.

Elsewhere, there are chapters that imply the English language is in decline. There are the newspapermen who see it as little more than a professional tool. The Oxen of Helios chapter, which recapitulates the development of English, ends with the senseless jeering of drunks. The central character works in advertising, which debases language to manipulate people. Then there are the men with sandwich boards who advertise "HELY'S", and wander in and out of the narrative. Other passages, as you rightly note, are deliberately obstructive and tedious to slog through.

tl;dr - Ulysses was intended as the ultimate novel, in more ways than one. It's a comprehensive deconstruction of the form.

How can a language by 'in decline'?
What sense does it make to 'deconstruct' such decline but writing idiotic nonsense. Sure showed them.

Perhaps a better choice of words would be "literacy is in decline." The book documents various ways in which the use of English is degenerating.

>What sense does it make to 'deconstruct' such decline but writing idiotic nonsense.
It's anything but idiotic nonsense. If you can't tell satire from sincerity you're not grown-up enough for Ulysses.

Some of the last pages of chapter 13 were really moving
If you dont appreciate Leopold you are probably better off reading some STEMperg textbooks are whatever

You are ugly

I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

>I feel actively annoying

Yes you are.

>that cover
Who thought that was a good idea?

>"I don't understand" is legit criticism by itself

Care to elaborate?

It can get worse

it could be kind of cool if it wasnt so ugly

Wew mama.

portrait of as a the artist young james man joyce. he'd probably approve.

Tryhard pseud. It gradually gets less accessible.

I actually like that cover, for this collection 'Dubliners' and 'Ulysses' have nice covers, but 'Portraits' is a fucking trainwreck.

I love it. I know this is obvious but I like that the 'y,' 'e,' and 's' ('Yes') are a different font, cf. Molly saying: "yes i said yes i will yes" at the end of her soliloquy.

So does life...

You have three typos in three sentences. Are you ok?

you're an idiot

I'm terribly aroused and excited when I think about reading Ulysses

And what makes Prose ugly or beautiful? This is opinion no?

kek

The original cover is the best

Your opinions on literature would carry more weight if you knew how to capitalize and punctuate.

Never mind, /a/ will never turn you away.

>prose is ugly
kek what

this was nice

Moron