Just got a Cast Iron Skillet! Recommendations?

I've got some of my favorite burgers being shipped to me on Wednesday, and i'm going to make some really awesome burgers with my new cast iron skillet, but what else would you recommend me use it for?

Bacon, start it in a cold pan. Steak, preheat the skillet in the oven and sear it on the stove top. Chicken thighs, give it that crispy. Cornbread too. Welcome to the club

These are all great, thank you! Feels good to be part of the club! I think i'll make Bacon on it before I use it for my burger.

Wash it, season it and let it sit for 24 hours. Then and ONLY then can you cook with it. I'm doing you a service by telling you this.

>what would you recommend me use it for
everything. cast iron isn't some magic new discovery. i noticed lot of people on Veeky Forums recently who are kind of intimidated or doesn't know what to do with a cast iron cookware. treat it like a normal pan. don't use soap to clean it with. okay, if you want to make pancakes or fried/scrambled eggs DON'T use cast iron. just buy a little non-stick egg pan for those purposes. I used my cast iron skillet every night. get to know it, learn it's quirks. also look up what a deglaze sauce is

even if it says preseasoned?

BAKE SOME CHICKEN PIECES IN THAT MOTHERFUCKER

especially if it says pre seasoned. lodge preseasing is ass

hit it with a small amount of canola oil and wipe it out really hard then throw in in the oven @ 450 for an hour let it cool completely and do it again. and you should have a nonstick pan.

Wait, I thought you weren't supposed to deglaze on cast-iron?

Also, outside of the seasoning "film" it leaves behind, what are other advantages of using cast iron? (I guess outside being able to put it in the oven)

Awesome! Thank you! :-)

Yeah I don't think you're suppose to from what I was reading, it says to not boil in a cast iron pan because it will cause it to rust.

its okay to boil in cast iron. it will only rust if you leave water in it for a long time. cast iron will last over a lifetime. the 'film' youre referring to is called 'history'. you dont need history for it to be a good pan. you can "reset" your cast iron cookware by leaving it on high heat for a long time and all the history will bake off. this is how you treat your pans if they get rusty. they can be saved if they rust. deglazing is fine in cast iron. iron is a great conductor of heat. i will distribute evenly and hold its heat for a long time (not as long as copper). seasoning your pan with oil will prevent rust.

honestly, just have fun experimenting with it. steel copper-bottom pans are great too. non-stick pans have their place too. i love my iron wok for all kinds of things. you will notice some things are more ideal for sauteeing vs. stir-frying, slow-cooking vs. brazing. so on and so forth

>lodge preseasing is ass
Not in my case, they did a fine job.

Don't worry about babying it like a turbonerd. Just use it and scrape and wipe between uses. Don't be afraid to wash it if needed. Otherwise you should polish it smooth and then be a turbonerd about it.

>caste-iron
>skillet

>iron is a great conductor of heat. i will distribute evenly and hold its heat for a long time (not as long as copper).

Hahaha what the fuck

OP here, sorry I fell asleep after posting this yesterday.

I love my Gothom Copper pan, it works great for stuff like eggs!

OP here, I really do feel like i'm in some special club now :-) hahah, all after buying a 15 dollar skillet.

Bump, op here and my burgers come today!

I have a large cast iron Dutch oven that I make up a big batch of ragu in every month. I let it simmer for hours and then I freeze it and then use it on pasta or meatballs.
Shit's cash.

Roast chicken. German pancakes/Dutch babies.

Post burgers.

Hold on, I got a picture of the burgers i'm using. I'll put them in the next post because they're on my phone. I had to order them from jet because they were the only ones who had them. Really interesting way they were shipped, in this big box with the cold pack so it stays cold. If you need to buy a lot of quality burgers like this, I suggest buying more than one box, one box having 4 patties each. We use these patties at the place where I work, and they're really top notch burgers, everyone loves this blend. This blend includes, chuck, sirloin, and round.

I'm gonna heat my cast iron skillet in a few. I already know how i'm going to do it. Once it's nice and heated i'm going to lay some bacon down. Then i'm going to cook the burgers in the bacon grease. I hear this makes for excellent burger flavor.

On the burger I intend to put grilled red and white onions, grilled diced jalapenos, and grilled banana peppers. I'm going to be cooking them those in a separate skillet while I cook the burger on the cast iron skillet. Then while the burger is in it's final stages of cooking i'm going to put all the veggies on top of it. This makes for really great taste with the burger juices mixing with the veggies.

Heres the burgers I use! I HIGHLY recommend this brand. Unfortunately when I go to the store they never have this particular mix (butchers blend) but some other variety. I enjoy this mix the best.

Cast iron pans are a meme.

>tfw I work for lodge

I hope you faggots know its 120 degrees in that factory and that's with the air conditioning turned on

>pre-pattied burgers

The stove in my apartment is an electric glass-top.

Can I use a cast iron skillet on it, or will I scratch the shit out of the glass top?

I have a glass top stove and use cast iron on it often. It can leave some minor marks if you aren't careful but it certainly won't break anything and I seriously doubt the apartment people would notice or care. Plus, marks happen regardless of what cookware you use. A good friend of mine has the same stove as me and doesn't own any iron cookware. He uses aluminum and stainless, his stove looks no different than mine.

They don't have air pipes to blow gusts of localized cold wind over where the workers are?

Op here with finished product! I had a lot of fun cooking it!

I'll give it a solid 6.5/10. If you cut it and show us the temp I may bump it.

It came out medium well, it was still really good but next time I will know to flip it sooner. I do really like the crust it gives me.

I have a old skillet that has been passed on by my grandmother who died at 95. We still use it today and keep it greased.

Thats a real nice pack of Jewburgers there bud...

Do they pay well?

Yeah they're pre-pattied, I don't have a meat grinder, and this is the same mix we use at my work, same brand too, and the customers love them because of how flavorful they are. In it theres chuck, sirloin, and round.

Wanna know something? These are the same people who give five guys their meat. The ones I have are a different blend, but the ones five guys gets are strictly chuck.

They're also known as Burger Maker. I did a little bit of research on them when we first started serving their burgers at the place where I work, which is at a grilled sandwich shop, they wanted to start getting more serious about their burgers so they went with these guys over the shitty frozen pucks we used to get.