Where were the poets between the 1th and 11th century, Veeky Forums?

Where were the poets between the 1th and 11th century, Veeky Forums?

The last gret poet we had was Juvenal, and then... nothing until the troubadours. That's like 10 centuries without poetry in the Occident. Where were the poets? There's any book that deal with this problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudentius
ibiblio.org/eldritch/jkh/r03.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's all poetry til 17th century.

There's this guy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudentius

>1th [...] century
lmao

they were certainly around, user, but a large part of the problem likely has to do with the fragility of manuscripts and the condition in which they were kept. also, it is almost certainly the case that most poetry of the time (especially in now-England) existed in the oral tradition and was rarely transcribed, which again was no guarantee that the texts would survive to be copied by the moderns.

there's a reason we call them the "Dark" Ages, because only very little of the record had survived to modernity (the beginning of print culture, I mean)

>lmao
Damn, I revised that shit and still got it wrong. My bad.

>they were certainly around, user, but a large part of the problem likely has to do with the fragility of manuscripts and the condition in which they were kept. also, it is almost certainly the case that most poetry of the time (especially in now-England) existed in the oral tradition and was rarely transcribed, which again was no guarantee that the texts would survive to be copied by the moderns.

That's a poor argument, 2bh. Oral tradition didn't stop us from having poetry of the 3rd millennium bc avaible today. Also, "they were certainly around", yeah, but why they aren't know today? Greeks and romans loved to build a canon of their poets.

It was all oral during that time you dumbass. And also anonymous.

See , dumbass. Esp.:

>Oral tradition didn't stop us from having poetry from the 3rd millennium bc available today.

Plenty of lost books from Greek and Roman times too.

>"Dark" Ages
>bad history on Veeky Forums

When will this fucking dark age meme die, in academic circles you already get laughed at if you use this phrase, educate yourself.

>(((academic circles)))

You're right, I just wanted to use the threefold parentheses.

Ausonius is about the 4th Century and you've probably quoted him like the scum you are.

There are plenty of good poets. Just dig and study more.

>When will this fucking dark age meme die, in academic circles you already get laughed at if you use this phrase, educate yourself.

Yeah, because it's a liberal circlejerk where they refuse to accept that there was a time in human history where everyone was atheist and the world was utter shit because of it.

>Ausonius
>c310 – c. 395

I also said "poets", but "great poets" could serve as well. One single poet doesn't make a point.

Recommendations?

>not paying attention to scare quotes
it's almost as though you have no experience in academic circles...

Beowulf, manlet

triggered

>Beowulf
>poet

>The last gret poet we had was Juvenal, and then... nothing until the troubadours.

that's wrong though

keep your wrong opinions to yourself

you know what he meant you fuckhole

Well, name one great POET then.

I'm talking about POETS here m8. Don't be that dumb.

>Only one Christian poet, Commodian of Gaza, was to be found in his library as representative of the art of the Third Century. The Carmen Apologeticum, written about 259 A.D., is a compendium of rules of conduct, tortured into acrostics, composed in rude hexameters, divided by a caesura after the fashion of heroic verse, but without any attention to quantity or the rules of hiatus and often eked out with rhymes of the kind ecclesiastical Latin later on afforded numerous examples of.

>These strained, sombre verses, with their touch of savagery, full of common, vernacular expressions, of words deflected from their original meanings, appealed to him, interested him even more than the style, over-ripe and already decadent, the historians Ammianus Marcellinus and Aurelius Victor, of the letter-writer Symmachus and the compiler and grammarian Macrobius; he even preferred them to the lines, correctly scanned, and the variegated and superbly picturesque diction of Claudian, Rutilius and Ausonius.

>These were in their day the masters of the art; they filled the dying Empire with their swan songs,--the Christian Ausonius with his Cento Nuptialis and his copious and elaborate poem on the Moselle; Rutilius, with his hymns to the glory of Rome, his anathemas against the Jews and against the Monks, his itinerary of Cisalpine Gaul, where he manages sometimes to render certain aspects of the beauties of Nature, the vague charm of landscapes reflected in water, the mirage of mists, the flying vapours about the mountain tops.

>Then there is Claudian, a kind of avatar of Lucan, who dominates all the Fourth Century with the terrific clarion of his verse--a poet who wrought a striking and sonorous hexameter, beating out, amid showers of sparks, the right epithet at a blow, attaining a certain grandeur, filling his work with a puissant breath of life. In the Western Empire falling more and more into ruin, amid the confusion of the repeated disasters that fall upon it, unchecked by the constant threat of invasion by the Barbarians now pressing in hordes at the very gates of the Empire whose bolts and bars are cracking under the strain, he revivifies Antiquity, sings of the Rape of Proserpine, lays on his brilliant colours, goes by with all his fires ablaze in the gathering gloom that is overspreading the world.

>Paganism lives again in him, sounding its last fanfare, raising its last great poet high above the Christianity that is from his day onwards utterly to submerge the language and for ever after remain absolute arbiter and master of poetry,-- with Paulinus, pupil of Ausonius, with the Spanish priest Juvenous, who paraphrases the Gospels in verse, with Victorinus, author of the Macchabæi, with Sanctus Burdigalensis, who in an Eclogue copied from Virgil makes the herdsmen Egon and Buculus deplore the maladies of their flocks.

Etc.

ibiblio.org/eldritch/jkh/r03.html

>> 9156013
Have you read him? Is it really great?

I suppose no, since there's nothing published about him.

Also, I said one fucking GREAT poet. No a unknow guy who nobody has read.

Have you read him? Is it really great?

I suppose no, since there's nothing published about him.

Also, I said one fucking GREAT poet. No a unknow guy who nobody has read.

I'm tired of the anti-dark ages jerk to be honest. Massive population drop, huge drop in trade, loss of technologies, huge drop in intellectual output, etc. There was a time when Bede was the smartest guy in the known world, and he thought multiplication was difficult.

Fuck you. The poet who wrote Beowulf then

>The poet who wrote Beowulf then

Kek.

>Beowulf
>Written