Books about story structure and the art of storytelling

Hello Veeky Forums what are some great books you've read on the art story structure/storytelling? I've read Joseph Campbell, and part of Yves Lavandier, and i'd like to delve deeper into the subject.

This is deffinitely optional but, idealy I was hoping to find some audiobooks of these works so I can listen to them while I work/workout.

If you liked Hero then you might like The Golden Bough. I found The Morphology of the Folk/Fairy tale by Propp interesting too.
Bear in mind it's really an academic pursuit, these things won't really help you construct better stories yourself.

This is great

This is more of a basic intro to theory but it still discusses a lot about storytelling

Here's a list I compiled ages ago

Suggested for short stories:
>"Notes on Writing Weird Fiction" by H. P. Lovecraft

For constructing a solid basic novel and avoiding shitty pitfalls:
>"How Not to write a novel" by Mittelmark & Newman
>"How to write a damn good novel" by James N. Frey
>"How to write a damn good novel II" by James N. Frey
>"Self-editing for fiction writers" by Browne & King

For writing poetry:
>"The ode less travelled" by Stephen Fry

"Motivational" whatever:
>"Zen in the art of writing" by Raymond Bradbury
>"On writing" by Stephen King

Academic procrastination:
>"The hero with 1000 faces" by Joseph Campbell
>"The golden bough" by George Frazer
>"The morphology of the folktale" by Vladimir Propp
>"The art of fiction" by J. Gardner
>"The book of legendary lands" by Umberto Eco
>""The elements of style" Strunk & White

Autismal worldbuilding procrastination:
>"The language construction kit" by M. Rosenfelder
>"The planet construction kit" by M. Rosenfelder

Actively avoid:
>"The writer's journey" by C. Vogler
>"How to books" anything with a logo that looks like pic related.

For anything of genuine worth:
>Be a naturally good writer, work hard at it and read widely.

These look great !

I feel like understanding the theory behind how stories are made will inherently enrichen your capacity to tell your own stories, but since you mentioned it, do you know of any famous books on constructing stories? I'm part french, Yves Lavandier's books that I mentioned in my OP, are quite famous as a way to learn how to construct a story by analyzing other stories.

John Gardner

Very much appreciated, user.

Yeah, see I just posted. Should be more practical use.

Veeky Forums always delivers holy shit

Campbell wrote more about history and analysis of religion than about storytelling, at least in The Hero with a Thousand Faces.
Are you interested by that or do you want to stick to storytelling ?

Has anyone here read Robert McKee's Books ? what are they worth ?

Judging from his public persona I imagine they're terrible. Don't trust people who sell seminars on how to write stories, especially screen plays. It's a scam.

Very much this. Anyone who knows how to write doesn't spend all their time telling other people how to write.

What are the real dangers of working with this kind of technique ?

>how not to write a novel
exactly what i was looking for. thanks user

I was more interested by storytelling, yes. While my current field of work doesn't deal with the screenplay/actual creation of the story, side of things, it can deffinitely inform what I do

If you have any understanding of writing whatsoever then the danger is you'll spend money on a book you don't need and get a few pages in before realising it's useless trash.
If you're some sort of idiot who sees writing as a way to make a quick buck or who wants to think of themself as a writer without any actual talent for it then you'll just waste time and money learning how to write by-the-numbers, uninspired trash.

It's really no different to people trying to sell you the "secret to life" seminars, just a different market. There is no secret to writing beyond talent and hard work (if you have no talent then just work harder).

This is the exact right answer.

I'm reading McKee's Dialogue. It's pretty dry, but somewhat insightful. Not as insightful as just sitting and thinking about a story and the interplay of human emotions that drive it, though. If you're the sort of person who can work with a step by step guide, it's okay. I don't like it much though.

This user's list is good, but missing Truby who is my favorite. I especially like the category headings. Don't spend TOO long in academic procrastination. Read fiction, watch movies, dream, remember, write.

ALWAYS WRITE DOWN A GOOD IDEA.

Which works by Truby would you add, and under which heading/s?

seconding this