Read the Republic

>read the Republic
>realise Plato was kind of a sexist ableist jerk
How do i get over this and still enjoy philosophy?
I started with the Greeks but I'm not sure if i want to continue if all philosophers are basically Donald Trump.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iyqEFUQKczw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Low quality bait gtfo

That was socrates mate, plato doesnt feature in republic

>being a genius
>not being elitist

Just accept that certain people are better than other, and that that does not mean that those inferior people have to be enslaved/exploited/killed/whatever.

>muh elitism
>it's a neetshuh teenager
every tiem

>not realizing that 99% of the people you've ever met are living completely unexamined lives

My little pure and candid friend. I like your bait and I'm intrigued.

Read the Romans, read Tacitus, Martial and Juvenal; then read the Early Chruch Fathers.
You will discover the joy of trigger and the trigger of joy.

(For the Greeks, don't forget the big guy)

please reply to my thread

Well, the masses for Nietzsche are to be, to some extent, exploited.

Yep, including you apparently

Where is he sexist in the Republic? This book was actually the ancient world feminist manifesto because he was one of the few philosophers claiming that women are equal to men and that in the current state (ancient Athens) were just receiving worst education.

oddly enough, feminists cite Plato as a foundational force for intellectual misogyny, since he maligned the body vis-a-vis the mind, and the former is traditionally associated with women and the latter men.

If they ever bothered to read The Republic, they would see an unprecedented argument for sex equality, on the exact same grounds that they supposed Plato to be a misogynist (his denigration of body).

The fact that they don't so bother supports the traditional association.

not an argument, my friend

>it's another ''user thinks that he's smarter than a entire philosophical movement wich span almost 2 centuries'' episode

Not an argument.

not relevant to my comment, which was on contemporary feminist thought about Plato

The funny thing is the older I get the more sense Plato's more egregious cultural musings, especially on banning certain plays and music, seems to make.

can you summarize his views on this subject?

Not an argument.

Certain forms of popular entertainment should be banned because they appeal to the appetitive faculty within the soul and have no redeeming qualities that would serve to cultivate the intellect, which is the entire point of his utopian project and grooming of philosopher-kings. They represent the ultimate indulgence of the human soul in the material world and submission to passion without reason

Not him, but this doesn't make sense. Why is aknowledging the mediocrity of the majority of the population a indicator of mediocrity in itself?

>Certain forms of popular entertainment should be banned

Wich form of entertainment? And what would their counterpart be in our current society? Please be specific, I'm extremely interested in this.

>And what would their counterpart be in our current society?
Anime

Plus some arts could make the guardians either fear death, which would make them cowards in battle, or teach them to imitate one or more other occupation, making them less focused.

Plato takes particular issue with depictions of Gods in the poetry of his time as well as in certain plays and music, because they promote a certain civic character that is anathema to the ideal rational and cultivated individual. The commoners in Platonic society are the ones who are most susceptible to this kind of entertainment and who lack the control over themselves that would allow them to recognize these forms of media for what they are. Personally I find hip hop, pop, young adult fiction, airport novels, and Japanese media to take on the functions of these civic wrecking balls today, but I'm sure many would disagree.

Not an argument.

Socrates-The Republic feat. Plato [HD]

Why would you want to enjoy his work? He was a retarded proto-fedora-edgelord. His work sent western thought down a blind corridor, fucking us over for thousands of years.

I realize this is bait but even the smartest real human beans are prone to have some opinions we disagree with. They might even have really stupid opinions. Just be sure never to elevate any person above the status of person and there's no disconnect.

Censorship is actually pretty smart, if you think about it.

>implying being rational or reasonable are prerequisites for the set of ideas that compromise a movement

if thats bad

read aristotles

nigga thought women were nothing but household robots eith no rights

He was right, this is the esoteric joke every true intellectual in the philosophy department is having in front of his class, while ninty percent don't get it. Biology is still there and the same it was almost 2500 years ago and humans can do nothing about it.

Today we in contradiction with the evidence pretend otherwise.

>So then, as it seems, you’ll set down a law in the city that’s being founded: that a lover may kiss, be with, and touch his boy as though he were a son, for fair purposes, if he persuades him; but, as for the rest, his intercourse with the one for whom he cares will be such that their relationship will never be reputed to go further than this. If not, he’ll be subject to blame as unmusical and inexperienced in fair things

>muh boipussy

Read about Socrates through Xenophon. Was Xenophon a philosopher? No, I'm not saying he is, however with what you get between the early Platonic dialogues and that you can have what is (arguably) a better picture of Socrates.

If you don't like Plato, then don't read anything past that. However, don't let him spoil the other Greek philosophers for you. Aristotle is great, as are many many others.

Also, Plato is Trump and Trump is Plato. Wat

If anything the only Greek that really makes me think of Donald Trump is Epaminondas.

Trump is Plato. He is Napoleon and Charles Martel. He is Aristotle and Robert E Lee. He is our Lion. The west has a Lion now. The time of darkness is past. May Europa Shall Blossom unto a New Athena under his Rule.

Kek. And that's not all folks!

Doesn't Socrates just say women are weaker than men but that's no excuse for them not to be of use to the republic? I swear this was a thing otherwise I might not have made a mental note of this

Boy, you forgot Rock and Metal.

This is exactly right. He notes their physical inferiority, but thinks that the female guardians should still have the same education as the male guardians.

2500 years later it's still the most honestly egalitarian relationship between men and women ever proposed. Anyone who disagrees with it is a phony, plain and simple.

>2500 years later it's still the most honestly egalitarian relationship between men and women ever proposed
what about abolishing gender through Xenofeminism?

>Obvious b8
>41 replies

>that that

Strike one.

>that does not mean that those inferior people have to be enslaved/exploited/killed/whatever

Strike two.

That's pretty much what Nietzsche wanted. Regarding statesmen/leaders, for example, he believed one of their main responsibilities was to keep the masses placated/pacified and thereby allow 'Great Men' to "wring their bread from the sweat of other men's faces" whilst creating great works/acts.

Every thread is a bait thread

>LARPing for a man in the (((clan)))

open your fuckin eyes

Where are all of the women philosophers?

youtube.com/watch?v=iyqEFUQKczw