>trying to read 10 pages of The Iliad
>struggle to finish 5 in one hour

How the fuck do you guys do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/texFmDIBeS4?t=3m
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_medias_res
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hope youre not reading that edition, its abridged

subvocalizing is a meme here but you really should try it with verse.

Maybe you're just not interested in the book?

When I first read the Iliad I was reading two or three books every hour. Maybe its a shitty edition?

"shorten (a book, film, speech, etc.) without losing the sense." If it hasn't lost the sense what is the problem?

I know how to read. It's just why the fuck do I care that some guy is angry and there's a plague. There's been no build up to the action homer just chucked it straight into the start like a fucking michael bay film

>How the fuck do you guys do this?
Simple: I don't.
That shit bored me to tears, so I stopped reading it. Call me a pleb, but there's no point in forcing yourself to read something you don't enjoy on some level just because it's muh canon.

>"shorten (a book, film, speech, etc.) without losing the sense." If it hasn't lost the sense what is the problem?

Then the images of the author are lost or warped, dumdum.

Yeah, so? Never heard of death of the author?

ever heard of freshman literary theories?

>reading two or three books every hour.

Veeky Forums - lying general

Seeing as I have a bachelors in eng lit I assume I fucking would. I'm done replying to you.

then dont read it. how is this hard for you? youre struggling to read it and i told you what helps me when i read verse. i dont know how else to hold your hand through this process.

Im not the guy you replied to, but I do hope you were baiting there bruv

the iliad's books vary in length. two books an hour is not that hard, at least in the fagles translation.

why did you reply to my obvious bait in the first place?

Why did you reply to mine? ;)

just to see if you're really done replying to me. but you're too autistic not too.

Still replying?

>bachelors in eng lit
>is fine with abridged versions

fucking poser

You seriously had to look up abridged?
The book is only 400 pages long.
Read it and pass high school already.

>I've never read the Iliad

no

>Claims bachelors degree
>Assumes death of the author to be the only way of reading books

>"shorten (a book, film, speech, etc.) without losing the sense." If it hasn't lost the sense what is the problem?
Just read the synopsis on Wikipedia

Off yourself pleb.

I read an abridged book a day

hbu?
youtu.be/texFmDIBeS4?t=3m

The Iliad is boring. Homer reuses the same two or three metaphors and death scenarios endlessly. The descriptive language is also painfully recycled.

Worst poetry I've ever read desu

Reading the first page of the Illiad took me like 15-20 min, not joking,but after a 100-150 pages or so it get's easy when you get used to the style. Hang in there.

kys

I read the w h d rouse Iliad when I was like 12 and tore through it and understood damn near everything
What is this thread

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_medias_res