How do you guys make delicious chili? I cooked it from a recipe once and it was great...

How do you guys make delicious chili? I cooked it from a recipe once and it was great. Then my roommate and even my mom made fun of me for using a recipe for chili. So I tried it without a recipe and it was fucking awful. What's the secret?

Other urls found in this thread:

casichili.net/casi-recipes.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's my signature dish but it's summer, I cook them in winter.

The secret is use the recipe and tell your roommates and mom to go fuck themselves.

1) Chili peppers should be the main ingredient--it's the name of the dish for chrissakes. Not some silly little packet of powder, but actual, whole, chilies.

2) A variety of meats is best.

3) Never add water. Use flavorful liquids like tomato juice, beer, or stock/broth.

4) Time. Cook low and slow.

Awesome! thanks for the tips. I'm also watching a bunch of different videos about chili to try and learn some general tricks and techniques.

All of these, but also remember to

T A S T E
A
S
T
E

your dish before it's done so you can adjust the seasoning

And it always tastes WAY better the next day.

Be sure to stuff that motherfucker full of delicious beans user

BEANS
E
A
N
S

i eat chili every day. The key to tasty chili is no meat, and lots of sliced carrots, lentils, beans, split peas, green peas, some tomato paste, and some spices in the correct proportions.

Sounds like you aren't cooking it long enough.

>What's the secret?
Beans.

This. Beans imensely improve any chili in terms of nutrition, flavor and texture. Otherwise you're just dealing with what is really a taco filling with which texasfags induce severe constipation without any fiber..

Ignore your friends and family, OP. THAT is the answer. I started out making chili from recipes as well, and did so for a long time. Now, I don't need a recipe, but that's because I'm an experienced cook now, and have made chili so many times, I know instinctively how to make great chili. All good cooking comes with practice, practice, practice.

You're a faggot who makes vegetable stew, not chili. Fuck off.

You're an idiot. Also, if you think traditional Chili con Carne will leave you constipated, you've never had real Chili.
>without any fiber
>not realizing that the multitude of chiles used has fiber, the tomatoes (if used) have fiber, the onions have fiber......

This website has the Texas winners of chilli. I try a different each time. Remember stews n braises taste best on day 2 ,3

casichili.net/casi-recipes.html

That's not even chili you retard

Here's the one I use, you can add and remove some stuff if you feel like it but leave in the beef, cayenne chilli powder, tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, stock or beer and paprika

Ingredients:

About a kilo of beef, ground or pieces of chuck cut in to chunks
500ml beef stock or beer
1 can crushed/diced/whatever tomato's, you can also use fresh if you can be fucked
1 or 2 onions
capsicum
fresh garlic or powdered garlic, I prefer fresh
fresh chillis if you want
smoked paprika
cumin
turmeric
cayenne powder
thyme
oregano
salt
pepper

Fry up the beef if you're using chunks and transfer it to a bowl for later, if I use ground beef I like to add it towards the end so it doesn't go completely soft

Fry the onions, garlic (if fresh) and capsicum with the cayenne chilli powder, when the onions have gone translucent add the can of tomato's, cook for a few minutes and then add beef stock, the spices and the beef chunks back in to it.

Cook for a good few hours or until the beef is nice and tender and the sauce is thick enough for you, it's a good idea to stir it occasionally and taste it every once in a while so you know whether to add more shit or not.

>no beans
That chili had no future here.

Piss off, I don't like beans in my chilli, you can add them if you want faggot

>Then my roommate and even my mom made fun of me for using a recipe for chili

What the fuck

I have been considering making some chili. I have a shit ton of roma tomatoes, and habaneros.

I am just not sure of what recipe to follow

Try mine mate

>What's the secret?

A recipe is a guideline, and if you deviated from your guideline and got shitty results, then stick with the recipe.

>About a kilo

Stopped reading there....

Is that because the flavors have time to get to know each other?

How come, cause it's in metric? Use google nigga, in fact I'm just gonna tell you since you're probably too fucking dumb to do that, it's around 2.5 pounds

>Is that because the flavors have time to get to know each other?

Exactly.

ANY complex slow cooked dish is always going to be better after about a 24 hour rest period. Chili, gumbo, ragu, all are noticeably improved if allowed a good 24 hour rest.

Sweetcorn. You didn't add the sweetcorn.

Go to your local Mexican grocery and get a bunch of dried peppers: cascabels, guajillos, anchos, chipotles, etc.
Get a coffee grinder and grind up one of each, along with salt, oregano, cumin, onion and garlic powder.
Toss them in with the sauteing meat.
Add good beef stock and tomato paste.

>2) A variety of meats is best.
>3) Never add water. Use flavorful liquids like tomato juice, beer, or stock/broth.

KILL YOURSELF