Math Olympiad semi finalists

people are voting for who the GOAT mathematician is

objectively who is the greatest of the 8?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck#Major_mathematical_topics_.28from_R.C3.A9coltes_et_Semailles.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why is Pascal there, he was a theologian/philosopher, he wasn't a mathematician

Euler

>no Hilbert
>no Banach
>no Lebesgue
>no Bourbaki
>no Condorcet
>no Galois
>no Archimedes
>no Bolzano
It's Twitter, therefore Pooinloojan will win. End of thread.

Sir Isaac newton, also where is Grothendieck? he is clearly better and more influential than Ramanujan

this

Ramanujan has been romanticized on the internet

in terms of ability he was one of the greatest, yes

but in terms of accomplishments, he really didn't do anything groundbreaking, of course it was unfortunate that he didn't have a long life, but still

Grothendieck was much more groundbreaking and influential

i keep hearing this meme

>Grothendieck

what did he actually do?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck#Major_mathematical_topics_.28from_R.C3.A9coltes_et_Semailles.29

troll

Gauss

Was Groth. there from the beginning?

I mean, this is clearly between Gauss and Euler, and is probably Gauss right?

Archimedes just because he isn't there.

Who's this Srilankan Ramadanjuan fucker you're putting in with all the uncapitalized words that exist in all the math text books in the world?

Euler. Gauss is liked by engineers therefore the reddit mathematician

Euler obviously. No disrespecting the mathematical gangster himself.

>Bourbaki
> a group of mathematicians can be the greatest mathematician of all time
shut up

>not understanding a group name as in any member of that group
You really try to sound like you know rare obscure facts, amirite?

shouldn't Euler be disqualified for being a Christian theist?

Euler is just as essential to engineers, if not more. We use complex exponentials a lot for transforms and transfer function analysis.

my boy euler gonna take this shit out lads

>caring about historical figures as such in a field as abstract as mathematics

Euler wasn't that good

>lmao the triangle dude

My vote is for euclid. Literally nobody knows anything about his life, but the elements was attributed to him after his death and was used as the defacto math learning tool for 2100 years. If anyone remembers these other guys in 1800 years, id consider voting elsewhere.

GauB of course

Invent modern math basically

Maybe Euclid was the Bourbaki of its time

>No Poincaré

Jules Henri Poincaré (French: [ɑ̃ʁi pwɛ̃kaʁe] (29 April 1854 – 17 July 1912) was a French mathematician, theoretical physicist, engineer, and philosopher of science.
He is often described as a polymath, and in mathematics as The Last Universalist by Eric Temple Bell, since he excelled in all fields of the discipline as it existed during his lifetime.

>Riemann
>that phenotype

guess we know who won already ...

This.
OP why did you leave out my boy poincare?
Go fuck yourself dumb fucking kike.

Tbqh they would win if the voting was beind held in Veeky Forums. But the voting is happening on twitter which means that the winners are

>Newton
Omg is he like the calculus guy xDDDDD I love calculus!!!!!! It is so hard thoooo Fermat
OMG DID U SEE THE MEEM VIDEO ON FERMAT'S LAST THEOREM? XDDDDDD SO WOW OMG!!!!!!
>Euclid
xD I LOVE GEOMETRY LOOL I LOVE SHAPES AND THINGS HAHA.
>Ramanujan
I LOOOOOVED THE MOVIE WOW HE WAS SO SMART. 1945 IS THE FIRST NUMBER THAT CAN BE WRITTEN AS THE SUM OF 3 HITLERS IN TWO WAYS XDDDDDD
>Gauss
I HEARD ALL ABOUT THIS GUY IN MY STATISTICS 101 FOR RETARDS CLASS. IT WAS SOOO HARD !!!!!!!!! 11111 !!!!!!
>Pascal
THE PASCAL'S WAGER PROVES GOOOOD XDDDDDDD SCIENCE BTFO! ALSO LE EBIN TRIANGLE!
>Euler
I LEARNED ON THE CALCULUS 2 (REALLY HARD CLASS, I GOT A C) THAT HE PROVED THE SUM OF THE SEQUARES EQUALS -1 OVER PI SQUARED XDDDDDDDDD
>Riemann
XDDDD DID YOU SEE THE MEEEEM VIDEO ON LE REMAN HYPOPOTAMUS? WOWOW!!! HAHAH 1 MILLION DOLLARS DUDE I GOTTA STUDY!

Where the fuck is von Neumann?

Does he have a movie or a meme? I don't think so.

> ...objectively...
Not possible to determine, especially if no metric specified.

For fun: I would give my vote to Euler, Gauss or Euclid.
But as others pointed out, there are lots of brilliant people missing:
Hilbert
Gödel
Cantor
van Neumann
Erdos
Grothendieck
Kolmogorov
Galois
Abel
Noether

It depends of the criterias of this "olympiad". If it's on raw brainpower then Ramanujan deserves his place

>no wittens

dropped

>getting this triggered by people using basic maths

newton was a physicist, not a mathematician

Euler

this

>triggered redditard over a twitter normie poll

>Not including the only man trying to save math from the hell that Cantor created.

Fourier..

tesla

Where is John Von Neumann !? !?
>Polymath, Greatest in Applied Mathematics
Where is Grothendieck !?
>Who created the Algebraic Geometry (most Engineers don't know)
Where is Kolmogorov!?
>GOT of Probability, Statistics, Stochastic & Random.
Where is Fourier?
>Fourier Analysis, Laplace Transforms?
Where is Laplace?
>Laplace Transforms
Where is Lagrange?
>Lagrangian Mechanics in Mathematical Physics
Where is Lebesgue?
>Theory of Integration & Measure.
Where ARE Bourbaki!?
>The group of rigorous French mathematicians
Where is Galois!? Abel? Hilbert? Noether? Poincaré? Banach?
Ramanujan is a Meme, He didn't accomplished that much.
>POO IN LOO JAN
Fermat was a Amateur Lawyer, who knew only basic Arithmetics & High School Algebra!!!
>calculus were not invented yet at time.

I really dislike this /pol/ quoting style
>lmao just quote many people that means you will get lots of responses

Raw talent: Ramanujan
Accomplishments: Newton

Raw talent: John von Neumann
Accomplishments: John von Neumann
>It's Settled.

>lmao I'm just a faggot who's mad about November 2016

Stay ass-blasted

John Conway

Anons are free to quibble between Euler and Gauss. But any answer other than Euler or Gauss is a garbage answer.

I incline towards Euler for various reasons, as the absolute, literal Greatest Human Mathematician Who Ever Lived, Period.

Mathematics is not invented.

Yes he was so. For you to honestly intimate that he wasn't confirms you for not knowing anything about anything about math.

Of course you is, you tard. It is an application of human language; how can it predate humans?

Because mathematical truths are not /essentially/ "an application of human language" as you falsely characterize them, but instead states of affairs which persist independently of whether humans are around to appreciate them or not. You are making the same sort of confusion to yourself that a simple majority of the population, even within the mathematical community, make to themselves once they actually get into the real philosophy of this question. The irony of the whole thing is that the confusion of the majority can actually be cleared up with just a little clear thought.

A popular image on this topic: the onion is literally wrong, albeit performing a sort of sophistry, by appealing to "mathematical objects".

You know how difficult it is to invent mathematics with no real world application? G.H Hardy prided himself on the fact that his mathematics had no real uses until they were applied in quantum physics.

We may invent the nomenclature, but the nature of mathematics is not an invention.

no perelman?
no andrew wiles?

>one trick ponies

>2017
>still mistaking the pointing hand for the moon
Symbols != Signified

Euler is the GOAT on this list, sorry newtonboos. Surprised von neuman and erdos arent top 8. Perelman is legit GOAT tho

von Neumann was brilliant but he lacked the intuition of Newton and Ramamujan.

I think none of them are. The best mathematician in the history of mankind is certain to be alive right now.

Why would he need intuition? Having "eureka" moments only means that you're retarded most of the time.

who in bourbaki is as influential as gauss, euler??????

There was a survey where they asked math profs from around the world,
who is the "best"/most talented mathematician alive, the winner was:
Jean-Pierre Serre

It's not even close. Euler is the winner.

This might be the most simultaneously retarded and arrogant thing I have ever seen on Veeky Forums. Congratulations.

kek

source?

i have heard this before?

Where is Pythagoras? Gottfried Leibniz?

>Pythagoras
You mean the guy who claimed all numbers could be represented as ratios of integers?

*tips fedora*

the best/most talented Mathematician alive is actually a Physicist. Just like Newton.

EPYTONEHP

even if this was ironic, this shit went too close to the sun and I hope you get burned

spbp

Euler

Racists have low intelligence. You belong in /pol/

>Fermat was a Amateur Lawyer, who knew only basic Arithmetics & High School Algebra
Fermat obviously had great intuition, and he was pretty crafty.
Not GOAT by any means but definitely very gifted. Also I'm confused as to what an Amateur Lawyer could be.

Hating on every non-white is racism.
Hating on pajeets is part of Veeky Forums culture, across /g/ to Veeky Forums.

He is an Indian not Sri Lankan

what's with all the old white dudes lmao? Ramanujan should win for diversity's sake.

>final is a threeway between newton, euclid and euler
pls vot leonhard

PooinLoojan should win for diversity.

Where are the black mathematicians?