Tfw struggling in Calc 1

>tfw struggling in Calc 1

Should I just give up on my dream of getting a PhD and working in research? All through school I loved doing Math, although I didn't try my hardest and got A's and B's, but now I am struggling for some reason. What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

education.lu/Portals/0/Documents/examens/EST/2009/Régime technique/Division technique générale - section technique générale informatique/MathéI_13GE_EXAMEN1_2009.pdf
education.lu/Portals/0/Documents/examens/EST/2009/Régime technique/Division technique générale - section technique générale informatique/Mathématiques II 2009.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i know that feel brother, i am in the exact same boat i think if i can scrape by this semester with at least a c for my GPA i may continue my chem major but right now im seriously considering jumping in the dig media and coms cause animation is one of my passions and i always used a chem degree as an excuse to say hey look at those stupid art majors they'll never get a job but in reality i dont wanna do lame ass number crunching and research and try to impress a bunch of hard ass scientist for a shitty internship

If you can't get good grades even though you're putting in enough work, then yes, you should give up. If you're getting shit grades because of a shitty work ethic then you just need to sort that out.

Yea give up because you face the slightest difficulty, thats how you will achieve all of your dreams in life.
Dude, man the fuck up and study. Do you think all the researchers out their are fucking geniuses? Do you think doing research is like doing school math? You will always face difficult problems. Better start solving them now.

What does calc1 mean in this case? If you're struggling with limits or derivatives, consider switching major, but if it's integrals, you should probably just work on them a bit more and it'll be ok.

Math takes practice. Practice takes time. I don't know how anyone can learn, and I mean REALLY learn, half of the subjects presented in the span of a single semester. Considering the sheer depth and breadth of mathematics as a whole, it seems entirely reasonable to me that it would take literal decades to gain a true proficiency, yet there are people who beat themselves up for not being able to learn a chunk of it in the span of a few months. Just keep at it and try harder. Take some time off from college to get caught up in your studies if you have to and then go back.

this desu
you're just starting out, don't give up yet.

Keep going. I studied chemistry and I remember coming out of lectures and thinking I didn't understand a single thing. I eventually got a PhD. Take your time and reason things through, and you will be ok.

This is what it's all about. Since you didn't try your hardest earlier, now is definitely the time. Put in the work outside of lectures on homework and reading the textbook and such. If you can, help other students with problems. Being able to explain things to someone else is typically a good sign of proficiency

What are you doing with a chem phd in terms of work?

What experience did you have before hand to get into that work? Or any exp at all

>Should I just give up on my dream of getting a PhD and working in research?
No.

I will personally help you user.

>tfw your face is an ass

I got plenty of Cs in undergrad and now I'm about to get PhD

OP don't listen to this faggot below
If you truly do have a passion in mathematics, push through, many people apply for jobs in which they despise, if math is something you love, pursue it as much as you can.

DAMN SHE THICCCC

Veeky Forums - Undergrads

Don't give up, some people need more time to learn some stuff than others, but there's no such thing as being unlearnable. If you like it, you will eventually get around to getting better at it, and the key to that is study. I found myself in the same position as you sometimes in my life, and I found that inspiration can help a lot. In my case I watched Whiplash to see that if I wanted to become great at something I would have to sweat a bit. Never give up on dreams, dude.

>dude if it's too hard for you just give up
God, what a shitty attitude

Holy shit I had no idea this was such a positive board. Is it Reddit (not memeing)?

>that ideal phemale PHENOTYPE
my pepee feel funny?!?!??

Did you get into a good graduate program? If so, how?

>This is what it's all about. Since you didn't try your hardest earlier, now is definitely the time. Put in the work outside of lectures on homework and reading the textbook and such. If you can, help other students with problems. Being able to explain things to someone else is typically a good sign of proficiency
Fuck off back to L3ddit you fucking retards

OP, if you're having trouble with CALCULUS FUCKING ONE then you need to give up on fucking everything. Transfer to business or something more suitable for your brainlet mind

>lel if it is good advice then its trash lel

I feel sad for you

>>>/l3ddit/

For me there were a few things

High school taught me nothing as my college actually had standards, our Calc 1 covered the same stuff others put in Calc 1 & 2. So slowing down and learning it right would have helped. See about supplementary lessons/classes, preferably before banking on the class as they cost a lot.

Teacher/book couldn't teach. My learning style was different then what they used. Later found some source that taught the way I think, boom everything made way more sense. Also some history and historical background helped, see if a proff will drop some math history for context over lunch, one of mine loved to and is helped me.

Math is hard and you have to do it all the time to get really good, however for non math things like science and engineering it kind of silly how little it is used in most cases. You'll likely have already got the skills you need long before you get there.

You need a good teacher imo for the step into calculus. It's easy to just pass it, but you need a good teacher for an actual conceptual understanding of what you're doing - which is where a lot of people get stuck instead of just rote learning to pass.

get research experience as an undergrad. get professors to like you and want you as their phd student. if you find an advisor who wants you and has funding, you're set

I got a C in calculus 1 and proceeded to get straight A's in the rest of the series and move on to an honors math program.

It's just work, y'all care too much about your IQ scores

Khan academy is a lifesaver. He explains everything in a very approachable intuitive way. Don't be a faggot and give up after semester/quarter 1. Give it a year at least before you quit.

I think you misunderstood what i said.
If he puts in as much work in the subject as he possibly could, but still fail. Then yes, he should give up. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.
Of course if he is failing just because he isn't putting in the work, there's still hope for him and he just needs to sort out his shitty work ethic.

Wait a second.. did you not have calculus in high school?

I don't think a lot of high schools include calculus.

You're joking.

Inner city schools typically do not get enough funding for more advanced mathematics.

I would know, our school capped at algebra. There was an after school program for pre-calc, however that was reserved for only a handful of people.

Why would you need funding for calculus? It's not applied chemistry or anything where you need equipment. In fact I can't think of any subject cheaper to teach than math. One textbook for the whole year is enough as well.

It's also really weird that schools at least in the same state don't all follow roughly the same curriculum and have the same final exams? Or every school just makes these up on their own with no way for a comparison?
What if your parents had to move 20 miles while you were still in school, could it be possible that you had to do study the same stuff in your new school school as you did the previous year in your other schol?

There are a lot of factors that are more important than your raw aptitude when it comes to getting high marks. For example where and when you go to school, the professor you have, how the material is being delivered, what specifically is expected of you in the class beyond your exams, work ethic, social skills, time management, method of study, level of interest, personal factors etc. And even assuming you square all that and then some you still have to face that somewhat unique to math is the fact that it doesnt matter how well you understand the concept if you dont practice and maintain familiarity with manipulation.

Funny. I was going to post a thread like this. I'm barely in it yet I feel like changing to arts and humanties.

Amazing pic btw.

They dedicated the whole fourth year to calculus in my third-world shithole.

Don't listen to this memer, he is most likely a homosexual.

Wew lad. Only one of those chicks looks good. Talk about cheerleader effect.

You can speak with your professor
You can use the internet to your disposal
You can stop looking at Instagram succubus and look up resources that can help you

same here with my freshman honors calc 1. the first few lectures have been on group theory, abstract algebra, and proving arithmetic.

its fun but fuck is it hard... and not even calculus yet

you dont know how to work
you dont know how to study

this is your primary issue

you dont know what you really want
you havent realized that time is finite and you are going to die

think about what you value and want on a large scale
do something every day related to your values and goals. do this for a long time and you have a better shot at being ok.

high schools in canada offers calculus classes but its not required to take it to graduate unless your going into math heavy subjects in college

you watch too much anime.
is right.
some people are not made for some things, regardless of how bad they want to be.

>>struggling in Calc 1
Give up. Put in those mcjob applications pronto!

You need to figure out what exactly what you are struggling with. Factoring? Algebraic properties? Limits?

How old are you?
Calc 1 is not hard if you love it.
The application of calc 1 is manifold.

>Some people are simply not born for math
But that's not what miss Barbara Oakley says!

Exego cogere calculere ad sexti minute so opere omni dai ad virtuere calculere.

Calculere sextiquintiterc multiplere octaviseptiminue = X

Exego retardii homini.

No you should knuckle down and stop being such a bitch, learning something new is hard, get used to it

Exego est hore, quitere horere stupidii ecclesii homini aequivalent.

Not really. Most high schools around the world don't include the proper calculus material in classes, they stop at pre-calculus. Did you learn derivatives and/or integration in high school? That's pretty intense.

Depends at what have high school ends in each country.

i dont agree with this
i took calc in high school. it was the highest math class offered at my school. went to top 10 physics program in the usa, and most of my peers had taken 2-3 calculus classes already, including multivariable. wealthy urban areas definitely have 2-3 years of calculus courses available for high school students.

and this is in the retarded usa. my current boss is iranian and calculus is 8th/9th grade coursework for students over there.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wish people in my country would learn more advanced math

lol brainlet

Unfortunately they didn't upload the final math exams for my year for some reason, so here's the one from the year before:

education.lu/Portals/0/Documents/examens/EST/2009/Régime technique/Division technique générale - section technique générale informatique/MathéI_13GE_EXAMEN1_2009.pdf
education.lu/Portals/0/Documents/examens/EST/2009/Régime technique/Division technique générale - section technique générale informatique/Mathématiques II 2009.pdf

The first one contains some derivatives and the second some integration (I remember having a lot more integration problems in my exam than this).
This is not the most math-based option you can choose btw, it's somewhere in the middle.
I'd say the only ones not doing integration would be lower tiers, that are meant as a preparation for vocational school (at best) and don't grant you automatic access to apply for university (most countries in Europe have different tiers of secondary school), and maybe the language section where you have to do four foreign languages instead. Maybe. With derivatives probably done by almost anybody as it's not a very difficult concept.

Since American schools spend very little time on foreign languages I really wonder what the hell you do all the time in math if you haven't arrived at calculus in the final year? Honestly, if you intend to study MINT somewhere in Europe and have never done calc, you better get going. I doubt they'll do more than a two week refreshment at the beginning as it is assumed knowledge for MINT freshmen.

Then again, East Asians would laugh at our level of math proficiency, they probably start calculus in 9th grade.

I'm not american, actually. I'm from Brazil and our high school consists of 3 years only. So I guess that's why. And I went to a good private school, actually, the majority of high schools are way worse than the one I went to (sadly). I mean, if you think about it, it doesn't make much difference for those who want to pursue a math-focused major, since we have a year less of high school, we get one year early in undergrad and usually the calculus disciplines are taught in the first year or so.

But yeah, our high school education sucks around here. At least our unis compensate for some of it.

And I forgot to add up, I'm not OP. I'm already doing my master's. Only joined the conversation to talk about pre-uni calculus

Fuck off newfag. I hate myself for giving you this (you) cause I know it's what you want

PRACTICE MORE.

Struggling? PRACTICE MORE.

Didnt get the grade you wanted on the test? Practice moreeeee.

Its just like a video game man, gotta keep doing it to get good, cant just start playing and be the best.

Someone with a average IQ could ace calc 1, shit there are people with below avg iq that could probably do it. You need to learn how to actually work retard.

>give up on my dream

if you don't have health issue, don't.

if getting a PhD is really your dream, get your fingers out of your ass and works twice as much.

Can Veeky Forums give a scientific estimation on how do particles coming from her back exhaust smell like?

> always thinking of PhD's being the science demigods
> tfw they're actually glorified lab technitians who are rewarded with an ancient title of obedience, instead of a salary that would be in proportion to their skillset
> tfw even if you make a groundbreaking discovery, your uni owns the rights to financially exploit it (europe)
> tfw I tried so hard and got so far and in the eeeend...

> tfw even if you make a groundbreaking discovery, your uni owns the rights to financially exploit it (europe)
I never really understood why that is allowed. People tend to always try to credit people for the work they have done. Teacher make you remember all the important names and so on. And then you go out in the world, do something really useful for the first time, and your uni fucking steals ur shit

please give up

Everybody else around you is probably struggling just as much.

My highschool calculus mark was 99% but I am struggling to get 80% in university. Shit gets more difficult, its always a struggle, just keep on struggling.

In Canada they have math-31 which is only required for engineering in post secondary. Its similar to first year university calculus but a they leave out bits here and there and hugely, they don't deal with matrix calculus or partial differentiation for some reason.

Other countries do calculus in grade 9. The west is autistic because we teach our kids how to do multiplication with fucking cubes and tiles and shit instead of like normal human beings because idk apparently it helped some faggot "visualize" math. The whole point of math as a study itself is that you cannot visualize it and it cannot relate to real life.

sauce

all i said is that I will help him, you're the one that needs to fuck off. teaching is a great way to learn