The Chinese are massively investing in AI research and tech...

>The Chinese are massively investing in AI research and tech, while the Trump administration is cutting federal programs wholesale.

>Elon Musk came out with another artificial intelligence warning on Monday. The SpaceX and Tesla CEO suggested that AI could be the cause of a third world war.

>Russian president Vladimir Putin has joined the war of words concerning the international race to develop artificial intelligence. Speaking to students last Friday, Putin predicted that whichever country leads the way in AI research will come to dominate global affairs.

>The mathematician and winner of the prestigious Fields Medal and deputy Cédric Villani was commissioned by the french government of a mission on artificial intelligence.

So... Are we entering in a new era ? AI is not science-fiction anymore, it's a thing that hit even politicians and governments.

I predict that progresses will be enormous in a few years. But it seems that the US are not in the hype train.

I hope USA enjoyed their time at the forefront.

Time to hand the crown over to whoever wins the AI race

Are we really expected to believe the DoD hasn't been appropriating truckloads of money for AI research before the majority of Veeky Forums was still in diapers?

FINALLY POLAND WILL TAKE ITS PLACE AS RULER OF THE WORLD

>So... Are we entering in a new era ?

Mmm... and an old one. Precise crop circle and FRB multiverse segment combinatronics blueprint(s) amalgamation(s) and the engines of creation... Now... Are ye ready?

that was a sad movie

All of this AI shit is a total meme, and here's why: there exists and issue pertaining to the "embodiment" of the AI. Our level of intellect combined with our primate physicality has allowed us to perceive reality and reason in such a way that we continue to advance and improve ourselves. In other words, these clawless bags of flesh are actually just as essential to our reasoning skills as our brains are. So far, AI has been given very specific linguistic, numerical, and spatial problems to solve, and it has performed very well, but I'm not convinced that it will evolve to anything too crazy in the near future.

Also, Trump's disregard for a multitude of minor alphabet agencies has little effect on the development of AI in the US as a whole. Do you honestly think that he would defund the NSA or DARPA/DARPA-like programs?

Didn't see this before I wrote my last post. This is what I was getting at.

Good, we are 20 trillion in debt. We should have stepped out of the international rat race a long time ago.

An AI can't even beat autistic nerds on a videogame, and they want you to believe that it's going to shape the geopolitical landscape? All they are good for is solving problems with a very small set of rules. Real next breakthrough will be in biotech, not in comp sci.

The USA will be at the forefront of AI, make no mistake about it.

>>Elon Musk came out with another artificial intelligence warning on Monday. The SpaceX and Tesla CEO suggested that AI could be the cause of a third world war.
baaaa

It makes me get a tear or two everything and I never cry shit.
Guess I have mommy issues.
Best AI movie yet

AI has the potential to be dangerous but is severely limited at this stage as the internet of things is in it's infancy.
I'd be more worried about the country or corperation(cough Amazon, cough Google) that dominates space and asteroid mining. You could literally aim a asteroid at earth and destroy 90% of life on the planet.

Google wants people to be afraid of AI. My bet is that they want their self driving car to cause an accident to spread FUD regarding AI. Their purpose is to sabotage America.

Partial AI would be great but any idea of a singularity feels pretty much off the table until we can actually understand our own brains completely

>computers worldwide went down today. The monitors displayed only one word "KURWA"

AI have beaten humans at dota and go, they are stealing white collar jobs from pen pushers to middle men and already control the stock market and other sectors of the economy.

AI have beaten humans at dota and go under very specific conditions favoring the AI to win, if the AI were just given a game against a good player it would still lose. Don;t fucking talk if you don't know what you're talking about.

Or in one sentence: Having a machine learn a statistical model for x phenomenon is pretty fucking far away from actually thinking anything like a human.
AGI is pure fantasy.

What special conditions did AlphaGo get?