National Macaroni and Cheese Day is coming, are you ready?

Friday is national macaroni and cheese day.

How are you planning on celebrating it? Which type are you going to cook? I'm planning on making a sharp cheddar/goatcheese/butternut squash bechamel sauce atop spiral pasta with a panko crust.

It's gonna be so gooey and cheesy with just a bit of crunch.

Omnomnom.

How do you like your mac n cheese?

does craft dinner count?

Here's a recipe from a restaurant I used to work at.

Fuck em.

1. 1 bar of Velveeta cheese
2. 1/4 cup salt
3. 5/6 gallons milk
4. 2 cups cheddar cheese
5. 2 squirts (3tbs) oil
6. 1 bag of macaroni

1. In a large bowl that fits into large pot of boiling water, combine all ingredients except macaroni. Let melt.

2. Boil macaroni until 1/2 done. Do not finish cooking, as the cheese sauce will finish the cooking.

3. Combine cheese sauce to macaroni, taste for additional salt if needed.

This one I learned from a friend

1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup 2% milk
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
TOPPING:
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and white sauce; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. (Dish will be full.) Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.

Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

is it okay if I put meat into my mac? I really like bacon

A little smoky bacon never hurt no mac n cheese.

Just how large of a bag of macaroni are we talking here?

Velveeta is salty enough as is. Why add even more salt?

> grilled cheese sandwich + bacon = melt
> mac n' cheese + bacon = still a casserole

checkmate atheists

1lb.

Salt is crucial to bring out the cheesy flavors.

I'm ready. I'll be celebrating with some Kraft Dinner poutine.

>1. 1 bar of Velveeta cheese
>2. 1/4 cup salt

Its not international, im not allowed to participate

i picked up a dope smoked cheddar at the grocery store deli counter. I put it in my macaroni all the time now, it's just too good not to. about a 60/40 ratio strong cheddar:smoked cheddar in a bechamel sauce.

If your macaroni doesnt use a bechamel you're a shit cook

Is that 5/6ths of a gallon of milk, or "5 or 6 gallons of milk"?

I've heard Mac and Cheese with tuna and peas is pretty good. Strongly debating trying it out.

>1. 1 bar of Velveeta cheese
>2. 1/4 cup salt
>3. 5/6 gallons milk

>5/6ths of a gallon of milk

Most of a gallon of milk.

I assure you, the salt is indeed properly proportioned and needed.

>Most of a gallon of milk.
Okay, that makes sense, but 1/4 cup of a salt sounds like way too much. Most mac and cheese recipes for half a pound of pasta have you add 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 cup is 12 teaspoons. It might be a legitimate recipe and it might work if you use milder, less salty cheddars but I'd advise anyone who tries to make this to slowly add the salt and taste it. Don't just dump in the entire 1/4 cup.

Please note, this makes an entire serving dish of macaroni and cheese.

Pic related.

Oh hell yeah. I'll make my classic baked mac and cheese. Macaroni, bechamel, sharp cheddar and gruyere, white pepper and nutmeg (in the bechamel), and a mixture of fresh breadcrumbs and parmesan for the top, with a sprinkle of black pepper on top. Salt to taste if needed.

I've never added parmesan to my mac. I would want a specific bechamel for it I think. Closer to an Alfredo sauce with plenty of roasted garlic.

I'd had no idea.
Wasn't planning on it, but now I will. I'm gonna use American cheese because fuck you, that's why.

>Inot International Macaroni & Cheese Day

I am seething here, love that shit, but I guess I'm not invited. Anyway, best recipe coming through:

300g macaroni, cooked
80g butter
500ml milk
300g grated cheese (I go 200g tasty cheddar, 100g pecorino)
1/3 cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
breadcrumbs

Heat oven to 180°C. In a saucepan over low heat combine cubed butter, salt & pepper, and flour until smooth. Remove from heat and add the milk, return to low heat and constantly stir until the consistency of pouring cream. Remove from heat and add the cheese, stir until melted. Pour over cooked macaroni in an oven dish and combine. Top with breadcrumbs and into the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on your desired crust crunch.

Hey I cook macaroni and cheese on a stove. After making a bechamel, I still can't melt comte cheese without it turning into chewy pieces and oil. What do?

Add sodium citrate.

Or just ignore the whole bechamel thing and pick a different cheese that melts well without the need for a stabilizer, like Gruyere or Gouda.

Blue cheese works really well for mac and cheese too, assuming you like blue cheese of course.

Well of course this tastes good, it's full of cheese, butter and milk. I know mac and cheese is supposed to be indulgent, so I might go for your one.

So lemon juice?

Hmm I thought comte was basically gruyere. Guess not, I'll try gruyere and gouda or blue cheese instead thanks.

>So lemon juice?

No. That's citric acid. Use sodium citrate.