I'm a high school English teacher...

I'm a high school English teacher, I teach in an economically deprived part of Auckland with a lot of the obvious social problems that come with this (gang culture is particularly prevalent). My year 13 class (17-18) has been looking at themes of marginalisation initially through the lens of Trump and his rhetoric. They each developed an analysis of the Warsan Shire poem 'Home' after this which they seemed to enjoy (I'm aware that it's quite accessible even if it's not really to my taste). I'm hoping you can give me some recommendations for a short text which the class can engage with next. As long as it can sit fairly comfortably under the umbrella of 'ideas of marginalisation' I would consider it. It would be great if it seems to emerge out of discussions we have been having about stereotypes, a growing intolerance towards migrants presently, and the idea of 'home' being an important element in the construct of identity.

Thanks Veeky Forums !

Wow, such convincing b8

I'll indulge you:

fucking brainwashed idiot cuck liberal subverter through feminism and cultural marxism take the redpill you dumb sheep

I'll attach a pic of Pepe the Nazi frog to show you how triggered I am (look at how angry he looks)

Listen, I haven't been on Veeky Forums, or Veeky Forums in general, for a long time so I'm not sure what you're on about. I am genuinely looking for recommendations of short texts for my class. Why would I carefully explain myself and write all that just to trigger you. So could anyone else please help me out?

We don't entertain the idea that "marginalized" """""""""""""""""people""""""""""""""""""" should have a say in matters of importance.

Have them read Art of the Deal, teach them to stop being pussies and actually do something with their life, instead of fighting for more handouts.

Jesus, if you have a different view just ignore this thread. When did Veeky Forums become /pol/?

>have a job that directly influences hundreds of thousands of kids
>brainwash them with the idea that 'we're all equal!'
>expect not to be called out on it

We tell the truth here, sweety

Country of the Blind by HG Wells might be interesting. It's kind of sci-fi which should help hold the attention of your captive audience.

It's about an explorer who finds a hidden valley full of eyeless people. The narator falls in love with an eyeless woman and eventually has his eyes removed. The metaphors are pretty heavy handed, but it should get some discussion rolling about the nature of "home" or "what is normal" and cultural difference.

Those posters are pretending to be /pol/ users in an attempt to discredit the actual /pol/ users that make up a significant proportion of the board's user base.

Thank you!!!! That's a great idea.

great bait

try posting this OP on /pol/ and see what happens

Yawn, so how about those serious recommendations?

Not sure to what extent these fit the bill exactly, but A Modest Proposal and Shooting an Elephant might do.

Thank you!

Try this

>I teach in an economically deprived part of Auckland with a lot of the obvious social problems
Teach them class-based analyses of such problems. Go for Marxist critiques instead of identity politics faggotry

>I teach in an economically deprived part of Auckland
>(gang culture is particularly prevalent)

So you're in Otara or Mangere.

Try the house on mango street. It's really short and I'm sure your students might relate to it.

>When did Veeky Forums become /pol/?

Never? Neitzsche has always had a place on Veeky Forums. Thinking that everyone is equal is bullshit.

OP is b8. Bragging about brainwashing students who are forced to take your class is not something to be proud of. If it were college, that would be fine, but since these students have no say in the matter it is completely wrong.

Shooting the elephant is actually a good suggestion, though it deals more with Imperialization than Marginalization. If you're absolutely keen on teaching psuedo-feminist drivel, try Fay Weldon's Ind Aff.

>posts something mainstream left-wing
>expects not to get /pol/posted on
Oh sweetie........

Since they're sub-100 IQers, give them Cloud Atlas.

It's a serious suggestion, but also quite seriously, OP: you probably think Trump's atrocity is an objective fact because your whole class believes in it. They were just proselytised on it, though, in the class before yours. And whether they are or not, they feel that their grades and futures therefore depend on their choice of beliefs. Also they'll be beaten up by the Maori kids if they espouse pro-Trump ideas.

If you're genuinely compassionate, don't compound this situation. Give them something about tolerance of other ideas and controlling impulses of moral outrage, if you actually want to, as it were, 'make them feel better about Trump', rather than just aggravating their complexes. Give me a second, I'm making good, but I'll think of one.

*making food

It seems to me an utmost cruelty to fill their little heads with marxist fairy tales of equality and marginalization. It will only confuse them and make them unhappy. Better to strike into them the fear of the white man and the cop's truncheon, give them a sense of awe and respect for the West. teach them to obey their superiors. And for god's sake not reproduce your obsolete, deceitful cathedral programming on younger generations.

OP, the novel you want is:

You Can't Go Home Again
by Thomas Wolfe

>year 13
>17-18
:^)

Having a discussion is brainwashing?

What the fuck with all this politics on a simple recommendation thread. What a bunch of insecure bunch of faggots you must be to go an attack a well explained scenario and a simple request; that only shows at what extent you faggots forgot the purpose of this fucking board and live blinded by politics while the rest of the world keeps trying to make the best of their lives. I thought a board that presumes of having a minimum of exposure to literary classics and their personal exposure of human lives.

OP, try Julio Cortazar's short story Taken House.

you must be new here. i think you also misunderstand the state of politics at this moment in history.