Books that changed your life

books that changed your life

Schopenhauer's 'On Women'

count of monte cristo

I know it's a pleb book but it got me reading.

Not sure it changed my life though, other than going from being a non-reader to a reader.

I have nightmares about this book

The Phenomenology of Spirit.

Explain

elaborate

I'm a Hegelian ever since. I'm reading the Greeks according to his guidelines in the lectures on the history of philosophy. All of my life decisions involve some element of that book.

>"books"
>posts essay

What has he taught you about life though?

>le reddit man
>omg changed my life brb i have to feed my wife's son

It's more about method than any kind of immediate teaching. The chapter "Conscience" is the most striking for me, you can read it online if you want.

Once I get through Schelling, Aristotle and Fichte I will.

pseuds don't know about the Parerga and Paralipomena

It's just a chapter and it's one of the most straight forward in the book.

Alright fine user

my diary desu

Mein Kampf

Montaigne.

It changed a lot of lives eh

The last book I read that I'd describe in those terms:

divine comedy

>be hardcore atheist in high school
>after finishing school be agnostic (started realizing how superficial atheism is [or at least how atheists are] and how it is a weapon of the cultural marxism)
>read divine comedy
>first Veeky Forums book I've read
>strongly curious/inclined to becoming christian
>want to read philosophy and theology because of it
>Veeky Forums.org/lit/how_do_i_into_philosophy.jpeg
>made me start with the greeks and start reading the bible (after a while)

currently need to read the greek plays and history plus plato and aristotle and started Job today.

Infinite Jest. It got me into Veeky Forums books and reading for pleasure. Thank you, Veeky Forums-/v/ crossposter, for meme-ing about it

that is one bigass picture

What should I read beforehand to understand this better?

on of the best reads in high school among 'Master and Margarita' and 'Tango'.

nothing, it's pretty straightforward if you approach it with an open mind

Read it when when I was in middle school and it got the little noggin joggin on the relationship between the individual and the state and made me interested in political philosophy in general.

Jesus dude

>he read the Divine Comedy with no prior context

what

yes, I did. as I said, it was the first Veeky Forums book I've read. how would I get any context not even knowing who virgil was back then?

and thats not such a big problem, since you can, you know, just sit and read it again...

evey once in a while I would look at the divine comedy 'summary' and I would get more and more references as I advanced with literature, first the greeks, then romans etc

Reminds me of myself.

I used to be a super hardcore atheist before reading the Quran.

yes

Brothers Karamazov took me a year to read. This was back when I didn't read much. I would read very spread out, like a chapter or two a week. It wasn't until the crime was commited when I was glued to the pages. I finished the second half of the book in a couple weeks. I wouldn't say it was a total life changing book, but it did give me some serious thoughts on christianity and it got me into reading daily.

I remember reading an excerpt from Heart of Darkness for a standardized test and instantly fell in love with the prose and that's what really started my reading. Though now I'm keenly aware that Conrad's books aren't all "just about the prose". The penguin covers for his books are unironically the GOAT

Either this or Within a Budding Grove are the best in the Recherche i m o

this desu
Brothers Karamazov was a huge turning point in my life as well, truly made me understand Christianity and turned me into less of a fedora atheist. Would recommend.