How long do you cook baked potatoes for? Like, giant russets...

How long do you cook baked potatoes for? Like, giant russets. Last time I did one at 425 for an hour it was still completely hard in the middle.

Yeah you just don't understand baking a potato man... Once you bake it, you take it.

1) Wash potato, stab deep all over with a fork or knife
2) Dry and wrap in slightly damp paper towel
3) Microwave on high 8-12 minutes depending on size of potato

Doing them in the oven is a meme, they don't really taste any different.

Microwave sucks ass because you don't get dat awesome crispy skin.

Microwaved sweetpotato can't even compare to it's oven baked counterpart.

cover them in aluminium foil

Foil causes the same problem described in

Speaking of which, I recently had mashed potatoes that were a mix of sweet potato and regular potato. My god was that ever good.

Any thoughts on how to recreate this at home? Would an even split of 50/50 potato and sweet potato work? I have no idea the seasonings they used as I rarely ever use sweet potato and when I do it's always only in curry so I don't bother seasoning it. Butter, salt, better, and cream work OK for this?

take them out of the foil for the last 10 mins

>Any thoughts on how to recreate this at home?
Sure. Just do exactly what your description suggests. Boil sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Mash them. I have no idea what the stuff you had tasted like so obviously I can't recommend copycat spices, but the standard salt, pepper, butter, and cream should work fine.

Why bother with the foil at all?

Cool thanks, just wondering if the standard spices work for sweet potatoes too.

Foil gives you cancer and dementia, don't do it.

1hr to 1hr 15 min

I always bake potatoes at 400F for an hour. If the bakers are really huge, I let them go for an hour and 15-20 minutes.

If your using a microwave, poke multiple holes in the potato with a fork. Microwave for 5 mins, then check for softness, should be pliable.
Or put it on the potato setting, if your microwave has that.

Who gives a fuck what I get when I turn into a vegetable

Boil the potato in water for like 10 minutes, run it under some cold water, dry it with a paper towel, spray some oil over it and then throw it in the oven for an hour, boom, perfect baked potato

Foil makes it bake faster.

I feel like it must of been a really really really gigantic potato. I generally bake rather large potatoes rubbed with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of salt, directly on the oven wrap, no foil, for about an hour sometimes a bit more if its particularly large at 400° f

1 hour 20, flipping every 20 mins

if you're in the mood to mix it up a little, use montreal seasoning instead of salt

I literally just did this. Mine never take more than 7 mins though.

This. People are fucking idiots.

>roll potatoes in 1 pt olive oil and 2 pt vegetable/canola/higher smoke point oil
>Roll them in coarse salt and pepper with a touch of garlic powder.
>stab all over with fork
>Place directly on oven rack
>have baking sheet lined with foil underneath to collect drippings.
>cook at 425 for an hour
>wa la
>crispy skin on outside, fluffy interior.

I bake 4-6 at a time on 400 for an hour. You have to remember to poke holes, and I usually lightly coat them in some oil. After the first hour, you can put them back in for 30 minutes if you want to add some milk/butter/whatever and twice bake them. If you cooked them for an hour at 425 and they weren't done, you did something wrong.

>People are fucking idiots.
this was unnecessary

Pre heat to 375
Set timer for 1h30m
Stab podadoes
Salt them
Set in oven
Let cook for 45 minutes
Pull out, restab, resalt
Place back in, set heat to 400
Ding
Pull out
Place on stove top
Cut open the largest one, if soft and fluffy they're done

Poke holes in potato, coat in oil, dust with salt/msg mix cook in oven 350 for 75 min.

My grandmother used to add boiled carrots into her Thanksgiving mashed potatoes. Tip top tier, maybe like 6 large carrots to a big pot of mashed taters, heavy on pepper

>eating the skin

The best Thanksgiving mash I ever had was when we made a mash of Yukon gold potatoes, rutatabaga, and carrots, mashed with butter, s&p, and half &half, topped with caramelized onions. My family asks for it every year now.

>Stabby stab potato
>Microwave for 5 minutes
>Brush some oil on the skin, s+p
>Bake at 400 for 10-15
>????
>Profit
Also, are you not letting your oven preheat first?