Maybe this is a stupid question but can you get diabetes just from eating badly for a few weeks...

Maybe this is a stupid question but can you get diabetes just from eating badly for a few weeks? By eating badly I mean eating high carb high fat stuff like Pizza, Pasta, Burgers with Fries and sugary stuff like Soda, Cakes, Ice Cream... ? What if you are slim but don't exercise?

few weeks i doubt it. months or years, definitely.

I've been doing this for about 15 years and I'm still Diabetes free.

bump

No. Despite the very large number of (type 2) diabetics around nowadays, the frequency of the condition isn't because it's easy to get. It's because despite being very difficult to trash your body so badly that full blown insulin resistance happens, lots of people today are doing exactly that and spending years and years stuffing their faces with food and growing to weights that were considered freak show tier just a few decades ago.

It really depends on your own physiology and reaction to other factors like stress. My dad was type 2 and as soon as he retired and lost that stress load he was cured. If you kill yourself with work and don't take care of yourself your pancreas can just stop working and render you full type 1 as well. You could have a skinny guy eat badly for a year and go full type 1, and you can have an obese guy eat similarly but only have minor type 2 that's cured by exercise. It varies.

Cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup, Dairy, MSG, and all of the preservatives, flavors, etc., this is all you need to do to avoid most sicknesses and prevent diabetes.

Cut out processed food, this means foods that come within plastic containers, cans, and bags such as chips, soda, ready-to-eat meals, candy, etc.

Hell, I make my own homemade ice cream using only the best quality products I can obtain from my local store, and I am doing just fine.

>Cut out dairy
>Eats ice cream anyway
what?

He's american

Just drink sugary soda with every meal for 5+ years and you'll have a good shot at getting diabetes.

.t (former) type 2 diabetic

Type 2 diabetes is when your cells are so overstimulated with insulin, and so packed with glycogen stores that they can no longer respond to insulin activation. It's not caused (directly) by being fat, its that being overweight and being (type 2) diabetic are caused by the SAME thing:
>Eating too much
>Eating too often
In the past there was a natural in+out flow of calorie consumption/use. You would eat at certain times and then NOT EAT at certain times, usually between sundown and sunup. Nowadays, from the second you wake up until you go to bed late at night you are NONSTOP consuming calories. The worst offender is sodas and juices, but also refrigeration, and preservation allows us to consume calories all day long. We NEVER have that natural using of glycogen stores in the muscles and liver, and after some time the cells can no longer respond to insulin properly.

How long it takes for this to happen is somewhat genetic, it can be as little a few years or many decades. Unless chronic high blood glucose has irrevocably damaged your pancreas reversing it is very simple:
>STOP eating too much
>STOP eating too often
If you do these things your diabetes will (usually) start to "heal", oftentimes long before you have lost any substantial weight. Exercising, especially while fasting, helps a lot as well.

no you cannot

I was healthy from 0 to 12, fat from 12 to 16, healthy from 16 to 21 and fat from 21 to 25. Now I am on a low carb diet, I only eat meat vegetables and fruit, what's my diabetes risk? May I add that it runs in my family

no one runs in your family

kek
I would say fairly low unless you have a severe genetic abnormality. You can check if you have diabetes (or prediabetes) NOW, by yourself. No doctor necessary. It's called an "Oral Glucose Tolerance Test".
>Get testing machine + lancets + strips ($40)
>LEARN HOW TO USE THEM PROPERLY
>Get PURE glucose (aka dextrose) from health food store.
(Note: you can NOT use regular Sucrose because it's 50% Fructose, 50% Glucose)
>Eat normally for 3 days (don't pig out, don't diet)
>Fast for 12 to 16 hours
>Drink 75 grams of Glucose (6 TABLESPOONS)
(note this will sweeten about 20 oz of kool aid)
>Wait one hour
>Test blood glucose
>Repeat test at 2 and 3 hours

Results:
>1 hour
above 125 prediabetes
above 140 full diabetes
>2 hours
above 125 full diabetes
>3 hours
above 125 full diabetes (go see a doctor)

A lot of people will fail the 1 hour test but be ok by the 2 hours test. This is like pre-pre-diabetes. If you have this, then you will definitely develop full diabetes if you gain weight, never exercise, or eat tons of carbs. I had this result about 2 years ago when I was 50 pounds heavier: (150 @ 1 hour, 95 @ 2 hours, 75 @ 3 hours). My land lady's nurse had (165, 155, 145), she refuses to go to the doctor, or diet, or exercise. She's basically fucked.

IF you are pre-diabetic (like me) testing after meals and in the morning can really help you know which foods are "good" and which are "bad". For instance, I didn't know that Falafel and Hummus (+a little pita bread) have MASSIVE amounts of carbs, when 1 hour after eating I tested @ 135 (2 hours was fine), but I usually don't go above 125 ever, even when eating (moderate amounts) of bread and potatoes with proteins, fats, and fibers.

Hope that helps!

oldjoke, samefag

Bumping to save lives on a Mongolian finger painting and macrame board.

It's hoghly unlikely that you can get type II diabetes form only a few weeks of bad eating habits, but the risk will increase if you eat and drink as you described for years.

The main symptoms of type II diabetes are polyuria (urinating much more than normal), thirst, weight loss, but they can all be very mild; so the best way to diagnose diabetes is dosing the fasting serum glucose (a simple blood test) or the oral glucose tolerance test.

For a good part of the patients making a correct diet should solve the problem, unless you ignore the diabetes for years and you go to the hospital almost blind and with your kidneys fucked.

Wait, when did we add macrame?

This.
I do that and I've got bad cholesterol. It's not good for you but if you stop for a year or so you should go back to normal, I think.

Macrame was big in 70's and is going to come back in style any day now. The greatest thing from my childhood was seeing a woman wearing a macrame bikini top. BTW no one had diabetes in the 70's because TV sucked and computers hadn't been invented yet.

(bump)

>string theory

>caffeinated cheese

Why have I never heard of this, and why do I want it?

Does fasting help prevent diabetes? It makes sense because fasting increases your sensitivity to insulin but is there any evidence that fasting helps?

stfu MSG is delicious and there is no proof that it causes any harm.

Yes, fasting helps tremendously. Like I said the problem is that we NEVER fast anymore. Not even for 12 hours at night.

If you are prone to Type 2 Diabetes (it runs in your family), then keeping your glycogen stores below maximum by fasting and/or exercising every few days works wonders. You don't have to go crazy and starve yourself. Just don't eat at night, and maybe ONCE a week only eat one (good) meal so that you are going 24 hours without food.

Example:
>Day 1: eat normally last meal @ 18:00
>Day 2: ONE meal @ 18:00 (24 hour fast)
>Day 3: eat normally first meal @ 9:00 (15 hour fast)
Remember that soda, juice, and even milk will break the fast. So only water or diet soda.