What's the best way to start writing a novel?

What's the best way to start writing a novel?

"Once upon a time"

simply epic

Be talented (Joyce-tier) or go home

can someone just give me the steps

bump

Write some shitty short stories beforehand and get your first really terrible 100k out of the way. Then structure your novel before you even write the first word to all avoid writer's block.

>Then structure your novel before you even write the first word to all avoid writer's block.
This is flawed, even if you have an entire structure of your novel, if this is your first novel then you still haven't grasped the complexities of a full novel. So, your structure outline for the whole novel will begin to have holes and flaws as you go through the process of writing. This will not stop writer's block.
Still, make a full outline of each chapter and think about how they all relate to each other. And try to keep writer's block short as possible.

Try your hand at short stories.

First, write a million words.
Second, you are now ready to begin to work on your first book.

Just start :)

"It was a dark and stormy night.."

just put on your writing thong my man

then write whatever comes to mind

For every page you write, read a novel.

How does the story start? What is the theme you want to convey?

Imagine how films start and build off that concept.

>joyce

well meme'd my friend. Dubliners was trash

i recommend that you estructure all the book (how many chapters, story ) al the characters gonna be in, and then star to write

Came here to post this

My first attempt at writing is a novel. I am over 150k in and convinced it's pretty awesome. If I edit it back to 100k by cutting out a lot of chaff it objectively won't be an awful book.

R-right guys? T-this is just a meme, yeah?

open up word processor or a notebook ya dumb cunt

If you're pitching it to lit agents 150k will be immediately off-putting. Too long for a debut novel these days unless you're an absolute goddamn genius.

I know this because I pitched something about that long and got that advice along with some otherwise positive feedback.

Read a lot and write a lot and mix it up and BANG ur a good writer

magic formula

>writing a novel

nice meme

How did you go about editing such a beast? Did you get outside help, and if so how did you find them?

I edit myself, at least for the time being as an unpublished author (read: probably forever).

Be merciless. If it isn't conducive to the story, kill it. My original manuscript had journal entries and dreams between the prose and in the end I binned them all. They were daft distractions from the story at hand. Approach the manuscript as a reader, not a proud author. Your job is to immerse the reader, not show off how wordy and knowledgeable you are. Kill your darlings, friend.

See, I don't get this. Because people often say here not to "read for plot" but the first bit of advice people often throw out for editing is to edit for plot.

It's confusing. I like your point about not writing to look good, but I also don't want to edit just to please the masses. I would a book I would honestly love to find and read.

>BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
>Ugh - my alarm clock!

>implying any novelist just sat down and started writing
You need an intrinsic desire to share a story and communicate something in order to start writing a novel. It doesn't just happen out of thin air.

By not being a pussy ass, punk ass, weak ass, bitch ass, ass ass bitch

>You need an intrinsic desire to share a story and communicate something in order to start writing a novel. It doesn't just happen out of thin air.

This.

I would suggest OP to read more experimental stuff, and then write daily diary entries, stream-of-consciousness.

Keep a daily list of interesting words, and create interesting little plotlines around those words.