What are some good introductions to gnosticism?

What are some good introductions to gnosticism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Manly P Hall

I. P. Freely

Rosenkreuz or bust

the best one is where the Pope sends an army to kill you and all of your friends because he believes you are truly damned.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

why did they kill all the cool denominations?

Catholic Church protecting their money and political power.

or the souls of millions who might be seduced by something solely on its uniqueness

Gurdjieff

get woke user

>be a tribalist
>Your tribe gets cucked
>become a dissapointed tribalist
>swear off "materiality"
Theres your starter pack

There isn't any, Gnosticism is a Christian meme and doesn't exist in actuality.

Hello Gurdjieff friend

imhotep

t. uninitiated exoterist

That's a pretty widely accepted academic theory though, the concept of Gnosticism is so vague, undefined and underdeveloped pretty much any religion fulfils its definition.

Just keep repeating the phrase "I'm a gnostic of the old school" without explaining what that means in general or in specific relation to other kinds of gnosticism until you achieve acclaim on the literature section of an online image board for calling feminists stupid

haha yeah and Congress legalized pharma cartels because "affordable" health care and run scare ads to block USA-made imported drugs from Canada because maybe they came by way of Iran because "muh national security."

Church was once a much symbiotic and powerful ally to the state. And the state always preserves itself from any upstart ideology that could upset the established order.

"As for the writings of Ouspensky and Gurdjieff, I know enough to satisfy me that I have no time for them. I seek real knowledge and therefore avoid all unverifiable speculation." -Jung

why do you care what jung thinks?

Not OP but Jung was literally a gnostic prophet.

It was a widely accepted academic theory back in the 80's and 90's when everyone was sucking derrida's dick and pomo/deconstruction was super fashionable.

A lot has changed over the last 20 years, with the development of esoteric studies as a legitimate academic field. The same sort of thing is happening with gnosticism, and it's once again a usable category within academia.

This. He contributed a great deal to our modern understanding of Gnosticism as more than just an early Christian cult.

I'm not sure about any introductory works to Gnosticism.

Hoeller is a respected 20th century American scholar. The Gnostic Jung is an exegesis of Jung's Seven Sermons to the Dead through the eyes of a modern Gnostic. It's a good primer, but maybe not what you wanted. If you're more interested in a history of Gnosticism, Kurt Rudolph's Gnosis is comprehensive. And of course The Nag Hammadi Library are a huge collection of source material. Still not happy? Look for books about Cathars/Albigensians, and the modern Yazidi.

Jungian Gnosticism is basically a late Christian cult though.

Nah senpai, there are no cults. There is only the plenipotent Catholic Church and heretics.

was to eating crackers, can't reply good

What does /lit think of Eric Voegelin's thesis that the roots of modernity are not in the industrial revolution or the Enlightenment, but rather in the advent of Gnosticism?

Elaborate?

pope looks around.
attendance dropping off.
consults Chief Paedophile Apologist. "Wat do?"
make a list of the most popular schisms
declare jihad
wipe them from the face of the earth
slowly climb the rankings.
never reach #1, but, hey, we're #2, so we try harder.

>I seek real knowledge and therefore avoid all unverifiable speculation." -Jung
that's rich coming from him

Hans Jonas' book is the classic.

>being a tribalist to begin with

Homestuck

elaine pagels
valis, or any of the other better books by pkd (e,g, three stigmata, or ubik)

phil k dick

Idleness, introspection, small leaps of faith.

everyone has a tribe including you, fedoraboi

T H I S
H
I
S

Forgot pic