My school took all Shakespeare out of curriculum because of "racism and sexism"...

My school took all Shakespeare out of curriculum because of "racism and sexism". Why cant progressives read something they disagree with?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/13/teacher-why-i-dont-want-to-assign-shakespeare-anymore-even-though-hes-in-the-common-core/?utm_term=.17337dab4589
washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/05/14/columbia-students-claim-greek-mythology-needs-a-trigger-warning
eidolon.pub/how-to-be-a-good-classicist-under-a-bad-emperor-6b848df6e54a#.mdb6qrvfz
washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/13/teacher-why-it-is-ridiculous-not-to-teach-shakespeare-in-school/?utm_term=.35c23e6d5eb1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>My school took all Shakespeare out of curriculum because of "racism and sexism"
prove it

What school do you go to?

The Frankfurt School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Marxist Boogeymen I Just Made Up for Veeky Forums Bait

>asking for proof on Veeky Forums
ill take the bait. Similar things have happened:
washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/13/teacher-why-i-dont-want-to-assign-shakespeare-anymore-even-though-hes-in-the-common-core/?utm_term=.17337dab4589

>tfw when I did shakespeare in highschool only me and like 2 other people were able to read it and understand the older english

how the fuck do you make it to AP classes and NOT be able to understand older english ?

Prove it or fuck off, baiting faggot

From the annals of happened

>And not only do I dislike Shakespeare because of my own personal disinterest [sic] in reading stories written in an early form of the English language that I cannot always easily navigate, but also because there is a WORLD of really exciting literature out there that better speaks to the needs of my very ethnically-diverse and wonderfully curious modern-day students.

>Shakespeare lived in a pretty small world. It might now be appropriate for us to acknowledge him as chronicler of life as he saw it 450 years ago and leave it at that.

>What I worry about is that as long as we continue to cling to ONE (white) MAN’S view of life as he lived it so long ago, we (perhaps unwittingly) promote the notion that other cultural perspectives are less important.

Was making me furious part of your plan?

washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/05/14/columbia-students-claim-greek-mythology-needs-a-trigger-warning

Bullshit. Proof or it didn't happen.
One dumb-ass apologist teacher who just says she personally doesn't like teaching Shakespeare is not the same as a school formally removing his work from their curriculum.

So they go to a university that looks like this and yet they're upset about some privileged Greek "dudes" ?

These are pampered rich kids, not "survivors."

>One dumb-ass apologist teacher who just says she personally doesn't like teaching Shakespeare is not the same as a school formally removing his work from their curriculum.

It's literally all liberal-marxist professors

What is? She's an under-educated twit teaching at a Sacramento high school, not a professor somewhere.

It's common knowledge that most professors in Western universities think that Shakespeare is problematic and needs to be removed as soon as possible to avoid triggering libcucks

It's not, in fact.

who cares shakespeare is a useless hack anyway

You do not see the screenshots I see posted on facebook and twitter and tumblr.

Because progressives have lower IQs than reactionaries. Up until maybe 1980, 1990 they could claim to be intelligent but misguided, but if you're still a white progressive in the Year of Our Lord 2017, you're just not a smart person.

I used to be skeptical of lit memes too, but that was before I visited my old highschool and fond out they now have a book free library.

I am so triggered by your comment OP. This is the fucking end of civilization.

>Common knowledge.
Well, I've taught at three universities now, and no, "most professors" think nothing of the sort. A few fringe cases do, but Shakespeare courses are alive and well.

What is a book free library?

Literally kys

A library, they just got rid of all the books. So basically a quiet room with tables and computers.

>When you hear someone —be they a student, a colleague, or an amateur—say that they are interested in Classics because of “the Greek miracle” or because Classics is “the foundation of Western civilization and culture,” challenge that viewpoint respectfully but forcefully. Engage them on their assumed definitions of “foundation,” “Western,” “civilization,” and “culture.” Point out that such ideas are a slippery slope to white supremacy. Seek better reasons for studying Classics.

eidolon.pub/how-to-be-a-good-classicist-under-a-bad-emperor-6b848df6e54a#.mdb6qrvfz

since when is a scholar randomly writing a blog in the buttfuck of nowhere = all proffesors?

Why do you hate whiteness and masculinity so?

Think you should just accept by now that this person is representative of all professors and teachers.

I want to die

And why it's called library? Are digital copies of books in these computers? For what purpose building such a place? It's because in some undeveloped mind library is synonym of silence?

>relying on schools to get your reading done
>not wanting society to crumble into complete collapse

just shut the fuck up

It's pretty representative to be desu. I went to college and heard similar opinions from the lectern on a regular basis. The thing is, that the opposite of an sjw professor doesn't exist, so the "discourse" is incredibly one sided. I guess the right has Hermann Hoppe but he was very nearly sacked from his job.

Yes, bo what end should I entertain this particular idea, especially if I know it to be untrue?

your experiences don't work as proof of EVERY professor in the western civilization thinking that Shakespeare should be taken out of curriculum.

I mean, I know this is Veeky Forums, but you're on Veeky Forums. You can't expect everyone here to start frothing at the mouth at the mere mention of SJW. I dislike them, but if you claim something you should give proof.

*but to what end

I have never had a professor who didn't mark me down for being a white male. Explain my poor grades if not for SJW political correctness?

If someone were you give you more proof you'd just dismissive it as not being indicative of a larger trend

I want proof of what OP claimed. I know it's in vogue to be intellectualy dishonest but if you're going to start a thread to complain about the opinion of SJW at least be honest with it.

You provided less than reasonable answers to the questions and your work was not especially well documented or written.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas queen slay

fuck william shakespeare and fuck white people

>your work was not especially well documented or written
Nice try

no u

Wasn't it you that tried and failed? Go back to playing the victim, you make an incompetent bully.

>shit that never happened

>A new report on the teaching of Shakespeare in higher education found that English majors at the vast majority of the country’s most prestigious colleges and universities are not now required to take an in-depth Shakespeare course
see

>racism only exists against PoCs

Fuck off

This is why fascism is the answer and every true patrician knows it. If the leftists win this war, shakespeare will be banned as an oppressive white male and the Transgender Quran will take his place on the curriculum

I don't read anything on this article other than the opinion of Valerie Strauss.

Also stop namefagging.

Why can't conservatives go to a school they disagree with?

lel, but in all seriousness now, things are crazy and they'll continue to be crazy. Not only people will deny Shakespeare, others will respond by reading him more, and yadda yadda. The academic world will split, not in two, but in multiple different narratives of what literature is about, what art is about, what is a good world to live in and so on. It will also embrace things outside academia, and people outside university will use/miuse academic knowledge. It's the tower of Babel right there, folks. It's not that the academic authority will crumble and mean nothing, just that it will mean a lot to a certain group, nothing to another, something to another.

It's neither good or bad in a basic level, it's just confusing and desperate on a secondary level. I claim people(ie here) are less angry about a teacher skipping Shakespeare than the fact that they know too well this will "get away with" to some degree and that there is nothing to be done about it. It's not that it exists, but that it would be successful. And you can't do anything about it not because you would "lose the battle why they win", but that you may very well win and have a group following you and that would mean nothing to change this scenario in a definite sense. Everybody wins, but only insofar as they play in their own court, so it feels like losing.

Nice try.

Don't bother, we know you're lyi-
>52 replies
For fuck's sake Veeky Forums

Fortunately most of them are questioning his claims and the other half is OP putting his trip on and desperately trying to save his thread by linking irrelevant articles

Until you believe Aristotle would be convinced you're educated.

Woah you are right, Shakespeare is an oppressive straight white male, we should ban his bigoted works so they don't hurt the feelings of those poor, poor homosexuals and Pee-Oh-Cees. It is our duty to protect those wretched pathetic creatures from anything that may cause them pain

>he doesn't think we're being genocided

seriously, it's time to take the redpill

You may be baiting; I sincerely expect you do.

But why do you think that not accepting your untrue claims means that I support SJW ideology?

Well, I'm white, male, and most of the authors and poets I teach are as well, so...

Western civilisation is worthless when oppressed people are in pain. Its about empathy. period

Emotion is their god

Keep up the good fight, brother.

I'm the only person in this thread who's posted with a trip

What does that have to do with Western literature? Shakespeare is admired in many third world countries, and he can count himself among the victimized, given that he was a homosexual and possibly crypto-catholic.

How is anything of what she said wrong?

>Shakespeare was a homosexual and possibly crypto-catholic

No they didn't. Stay banned.

>actually civilisation was founded on the shrill snivellings of oppresed gays and blacks. Greek philosophy is white and evil. It was created by privileged white bourgeois bigots as a means to justify their inescusable hate of the oppressed.Western culture mus be destroyed so we can have equality for muslims and lgbt people!

The author didn't express any of those ideas. Reductionist memes are great fun, but you need more than that if you want to fruitfully engage with someone you don't agree with.

But that's genuinely what all liberals believe. Try a redpill

Release is small and comes in painful, little bursts.

A woman's face with nature's own hand painted,
Hast thou, the master mistress of my passion;
A woman's gentle heart, but not acquainted
With shifting change, as is false women's fashion:
An eye more bright than theirs, less false in rolling,
Gilding the object whereupon it gazeth;
A man in hue all hues in his controlling,
Which steals men's eyes and women's souls amazeth.
And for a woman wert thou first created;
Till Nature, as she wrought thee, fell a-doting,
And by addition me of thee defeated,
By adding one thing to my purpose nothing.
But since she prick'd thee out for women's pleasure,
Mine be thy love and thy love's use their treasure.

Literally most of his sonnets are directed at exulting the beauty of a man

Aside from the double-standard of "non-whites need their culture taught to them, but white folks don't" and the other silliness, she's implying that Shakespeare isn't dealing with universal themes, and that there is no value in giving students a taste of the language and sensibilities from a few centuries ago.
washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/06/13/teacher-why-it-is-ridiculous-not-to-teach-shakespeare-in-school/?utm_term=.35c23e6d5eb1

but really I feel like nonwhites and members of the 'lgbt community' feel humiliated by the superiority of European culture. But they are shrill and stupid so the only thing they can do is call on the authorities to shut it down. they want to bring everyone down to their level, that's the logical conclusion of egalitarian ideology. Everything beautiful everything masterful goes down the toilet.

>
>Shakespeare lived in a pretty small world. It might now be appropriate for us to acknowledge him as chronicler of life as he saw it 450 years ago and leave it at that.

> Shakespeare lived in a pretty small world

"their
hesitating reluctance with regard to everything strange, their horror of
the bad taste even of lively curiosity, and in general the averseness of
every distinguished and self-sufficing culture to avow a new desire,
a dissatisfaction with its own condition, or an admiration of what is
strange: all this determines and disposes them unfavourably even towards
the best things...The case is not different with Shakespeare, that marvelous
Spanish-Moorish-Saxon synthesis of taste, over whom an ancient Athenian
of the circle of AEschylus would have half-killed himself with laughter
or irritation"

Nietzsche

I was talking about the article of the Classics professor, not about the one OP posted.

I don't agree with what the teacher you are referring to said, mind you, but she does raise a valid point: how to teach Shakespeare to a "multicultural", so to speak, classroom full of highschoolers and make them connect and engage with what they are reading? It is very easy to dismiss it, as people here are doing, by saying "muh sjw, muh liberals, take le redpill xD", but the teacher that wrote that article is also choosing the easy way out. That is, stop teaching Shakespeare altogether because of a personal, arbitrary bias, and teach books with which students can easily identify because they speak to them directly.

I don't think that is the answer either. Rather, if the teacher were competent enough, she would look for ways to teach Shakespeare that are edifying and helpful to the needs of a multicultural classroom. One of the great things about Shakespeare is that you can do that very easily, too, but the teacher needs to actually think how to make it fun and relevant to his or her students.

I know, but that doesn't make him a homosexual. If anything, he was bisexual, but it is too irrelevant either way to care for Shakespeare's sexual preference, because it all boils down to gossipy speculation. The same with the religion he practiced. What matters is the text.

I suppose if were churning up the dirt on the intelligentsia that is good. Still, hopefully the modern Renaissance cleanses closemindedness like this.

I thought half of my high school required reading was half assed 'multicultural' kitsch, and i'm a 'POC' spic immigrant. Maybe the American education system is intentionally alienating by design.

My point is that there's an irony that the "dead white male" Shakespeare was a religious and sexual minority. SJWs targeting him makes less than no sense

I wouldn't know about that last thing, but maybe it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with reading (good) writers that write outside the established narrative of "Western canon", but I do think that they should be taught in tandem with canonical authors. See what they do with their craft, how the perspective has changed, what can they both teach us about the human condition. Don't make this into a "who's better?" competition, that is not the point. Teachers must actually think how to teach literature critically, and engage with from all sides.