Are pure math degrees for autists, or are applied math degrees for sellouts?

Are pure math degrees for autists, or are applied math degrees for sellouts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jgq-95y84Qs&list=LL4tUpusKJ07XFh5be6NTjzg&index=2&t=1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

both

correct, clearly he should've used the and operator.

neither

Mathematics is mainly just autism.

Most of the shit pure mathematics majors learn is has absolutely no real world application, they basically do the equivalent of digging up piles of dogshit and record it and think what they do is valuable because they "increased knowledge" in the world by forcing the rest of us to learn about popular dogshitting locations. Its especially bad when they think they're smarter than the rest of society because they have complicated equations for finding out the precise locations of dogshit. Intelligence isn't impressive if it's sublimated into useless knowledge-wanking.

Pure math degrees is autistic applied maths, which in turn is autistic chemistry/physics, which in turn is autistic engineering, which in turn is just autistic business.

Get a real job and apply yourselves.

Engineering>all mathematics

lol enjoy being unemployable in 5 years when all the students who fell for the stem meme enter the job market and drive supply way up

>he's only joking

Good luck to normies trying to do signal processing like myself, an autist, is. I'd like to see Chad understand complex analysis.

lol you think you're special, that's adorable

I think if you like one subject you should do it. It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what employers think.

I do, and you probably don't.

>he probably didn't even take an intro topology course or an analysis PDEs course
>he thinks he """understands""" "complex analysis" (4 "engineers")
laughing girls.jpg

Is pure math | applied math analogous to computer science | software engineering?

surely pure math sometimes leads to real world applications. maybe 300 years ago calculus was thought of as pure?

I disagree with everything in this thread

Calculus was damn useful the minute it was done

I am special Chad! You'll see someday :^(

>implying any mathematicians want their work to be useful to anyone
the great hardy once said:
>I have never done anything "useful". No discovery of mine has made, or is likely to make, directly or indirectly, for good or ill, the least difference to the amenity of the world.
which is ironic because he is best known for the bioshit hardy-weinberg principle but he is still the impersonation of Veeky Forums with this other wonderful quote:
>Hardy once told Bertrand Russell "If I could prove by logic that you would die in five minutes, I should be sorry you were going to die, but my sorrow would be very much mitigated by pleasure in the proof".
t. brainlet who couldn't major in stem

Pure math is a modern invention.

Newton's mathematics were very much motivated by applied goals.

false you FUCKING RETARD

go read the elements and hang yourself if you still don't get it

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

applied often leads to pure, and pure often leads to applied.

anyone disputing this is simply a shitposter.

Mathematics is not invented.

>Are pure math degrees for autists, or are applied math degrees for sellouts?

>both

fpbp

Newton has actually a fire and brimstone christian and thought his insights were a calling from God

>the applied math virgin
>the pure math chad

>Tfw author of spikedmath was my math prof for my first year

>the pure virgin
>the applied chad

Well, we don't give a shit if it has real world application or not.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jgq-95y84Qs&list=LL4tUpusKJ07XFh5be6NTjzg&index=2&t=1s

>muh math beauty
Literally made up by autists (like numberphile) that only were good at math and nothing else

>applied goals
If you mean the goal of getting better at math then you are absolutely correct.

>engineer claims to understand complex analysis
bretty gud jok

>I have never written a proof in my life

im looking at going back to college after a break.
Im planning on getting a degree in applied math, so i will excel as a post grad in the life sciences(ecology mostly) i need to be a soild graph theorist, and statistician to do the work i aspire to do. I dont really need a degree in biology as im already literate at a post-grad level in many areas, although i will probably minor or double major biology. i dont think im a sell out

I have.
>he fell for the proofs are beautiful meme
>thinks his shit is art and compares himself to musicians, painters, etc just because he can do baby analysis proofs
lmao

>engineer
>complex analysis

Stop getting your worldview from Veeky Forums.

>pure math degree
you fags are still talking about the difference between bachelor's degrees? fucking idiots

t. applied brainlet

sellout status only applies to those looking to do math as their career, if you're majoring in anything else applied maths is superior.

kind of think these should be reversed. avg mathematician toils in the dirt to build the fine structures of math. applied mathematicians just wear a suit and collect $$$ by knowing some maths & statistics

well, pretty much everything pure math majors learned at my school has pretty direct applications. even the most abstract class (logic) had pretty standard applications to computer science. everything else was pretty much calc sequence then some basic algebra/analysis. most ppl had electives like probability, statistics, applied algebra, wavelets (even engineers know these), etc.

>we don't give a shit if it has real world application or not
Speak for yourself.

I had a good laugh at your post. Also, I agree with you.

and is included in the or operator. Unless you are talking about exclusive or. In which case nvm.

>"...THAT ANNOYS ME"
it's so painfully obvious this guy is going to kill someone someday.

Calculus - solving the applied problem of slopes of tangent lines, which has applications to motion and gravity

Binomial Theorem - Discovered through experimentalism despite its "pure" (for the time anyway) appearance.

can you name me one human activity besides agriculture, medicine and basic construction that is usefull then?

Pure math finds pretty much every application you can imagine in computer science.

Bad news, your uni is shit.

speak for yourself bud

we're not pretending that anything else is going on

you're a pure mathematician who cares about applications? why?

Underrated

What about engineers that haf mastered the complex finite element method. Are you at that level boy?!

applied math is the only way to go, unless you want to do math for math's sake.

>the applied math virgin
>the pure math chad
Kek

>the applied math Chad
>the pure math Virgin
Kek

FORMULA SHEET