Tfw u didnt major in Classics as an undergrad

>tfw u didnt major in Classics as an undergrad

why did i fuck my own shit up like this

Other urls found in this thread:

usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/articles/2011/12/07/med-schools-disavow-classics-programs-claim-as-road-to-mds
classics.nd.edu/careers/famous-students-of-the-classics/
blogs.transparent.com/latin/famous-people-who-studied-latin/
thecampvs.com/2010/12/20/famous-classicists/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Wanting to be unemployed

fuck off wagecuck, nobody cares

How does it feel to know your life is worth $XX.XX per hour?

>tfw comp lit with focus on latin and ancient greek
>everything from a classics major with added benefit of english literature
feels fucking great
Can go into a lot of different graduate studies so I can be in school for the next 6-9 years

How does it feel to know th value of your life is negative?

If you come from enough money where the idea of majoring in Classics seems viable to you, your capacity for personal development is already permanently crippled.

only problem is english depts are more consumed by (((cultural studies))) than classics depts.

>Heh.. . I am souperior and valulable because I slave away for Mr. Shekelstein! NEETs and humanities majors btfo!!

OP here, have you ever heard of a merit scholarship?

Yeah, you really fucked up, everyone knows it's physically impossible to learn anything after the age of 22.

I fail to see how this invalidates my point. If you spend your time getting a scholarship for a degree that you know will make you no money, then you are coming from a situation in which your security in the world is provided as a given, and subsequently one in which you lack the tools for genuine self-development.
>inb4 b-but I can supplement it with literature, w-wagecuck

>tackling the entire corpus of literature surviving from antiquity without faculty guidance

>money can't facilitate personal development
HOLY shit you are delusional.

so why exactly cant i get a free Classics degree and then just become a regular wagie?

>physics + math double major

Me and my physicsbros used to use matlab to design the optimal way of rolling a towel so that when we whipped liberal arts fags they would would bleed and cry. Then we would laugh and plan fun things to do with the 300k starting we knew we would make as soon as we graduated. Enjoy your mediocre life liberal autists.

>he doesnt have an 8 figure trust fund

lmao @ u

>You have to learn everything all at once.

I'm a believer in the discipline instilled by formal education, but if you think it begins and ends there, you're drinking the koolaid. Most people don't learn shit in undergrad anyway. The access to a university library is a godsend, I admit, but OP could do well by starting with Plato's Republic and then several different commentaries on it.

t. Grad student

>mfw majoring in bioengineering
>mfw guaranteed 90k starting position after graduation with no work required
>mfw still have the time to study philosophy and classical literature
>mfw stronger, better looking, and in better shape than every liberal arts major I've met
How does it feel to be so inferior to me, liberal brainlets?

You talking about your life?
Because I majored in mathematics and it's worth $XXX.XX per hour.
And it feels great

LOL people are seriously proud of forsaking wide-breadthed knowledge in exchange for extreme specialization in a stem field.

This division of labor has been predicted for centuries. It's the same way an assembly line works. It functions better when the individual workers are stupid because they have spent all their time learning how to effectively screw nuts.

We can't overestimate the value of a Classics major. Check this out: according to Association of American Medical Colleges, students who major or double-major in Classics have a better success rate getting into medical school than do students who concentrate solely in biology, microbiology, and other branches of science. Crazy, huh? Furthermore, according to Harvard Magazine, Classics majors (and math majors) have the highest success rates of any majors in law school. Believe it or not: political science, economics, and pre-law majors lag fairly far behind. Even furthermore, Classics majors consistently have some of the highest scores on GREs of all undergraduates."

Shocked? Don't be. One reason Classics majors are so successful is that they completely master grammar. Medical terminology, legal terminology, and all those ridiculously worthless vocabulary words on the GRE (and the SAT) have their roots in Greek and Latin. Ultimately, though, Classics majors get on well in life because they develop intellectual rigor, communications skills, analytical skills, the ability to handle complex information, and, above all, a breadth of view which few other disciplines can provide.

usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/articles/2011/12/07/med-schools-disavow-classics-programs-claim-as-road-to-mds

classics.nd.edu/careers/famous-students-of-the-classics/

blogs.transparent.com/latin/famous-people-who-studied-latin/

Remember that your BA in the Classics can lead you to a wide variety of final destinations. Look at this list of famous Classics majors: Jerry Brown began as a Classics major, went to law school at Yale, and is the current (and past) governor of California; Raymond Joseph Teller studied Latin in high school and college and taught the language in high school before becoming the silent half of the famous magic team Penn and Teller; Ted Turner was a Classics major for a while and went on to found CNN. Sarah Price, the Community Manager for Gmail, studied Latin literature at Yale. Finally, a young woman with a minor in Classics named Joanne Rowling went on to become J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books.

"To study Latin is to encounter face to face the smartest, funniest, most beautiful minds that have ever lived."
—R. J. Teller

thecampvs.com/2010/12/20/famous-classicists/

"And while that is a good start, the notion of listing famous Classics majors seems a bit wrong-headed. It’s glamor-baiting, really, and if we want to show the viability of Classics we should really consider including successful people beyond celebrities. We can do this, perhaps, by appealing to people’s career aspirations and showing that Classics is a road others have taken to get there."

>We can't overestimate the value of a Classics major. Check this out: according to Association of American Medical Colleges, students who major or double-major in Classics have a better success rate getting into medical school than do students who concentrate solely in biology, microbiology, and other branches of science. Crazy, huh? Furthermore, according to Harvard Magazine, Classics majors (and math majors) have the highest success rates of any majors in law school. Believe it or not: political science, economics, and pre-law majors lag fairly far behind. Even furthermore, Classics majors consistently have some of the highest scores on GREs of all undergraduates."

This entire paragraph shows why it's crucial to not become a blind liberal arts major, because if you had taken even a high school level statistics class you would understand the significance of these results. Of course anyone who double majors will do significantly better academically - not from the education a Classics major provides, but by the difficult nature of double majoring, only the most gifted and dedicated would consider double majoring regardless of the major. You're both confusing correlation with causation and inferring reverse causation at that.

Virtually any statistician would laugh in your face if you tried to use any other kind of self-motivated action to prove adequacy. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding to believe otherwise, and if anything, proves how easy it is to manipulate and deceive those who never received a proper mathematically-enriched education.

I think you misread and assumed the entire paragraph was about double majors. Maybe you only read the first two sentences and thought you read the whole thing.

If anything this proves how dumb/ugly statisticians are.

Really temped to major in classics.

Is it too hard, suppose you, to double major in classics and philosophy?

I did a year of Latin and ancient history. Realised everyone in my courses were either dumb thotties or just trying to get a credit off on their arts degree. Was very demoralising and now I'm learning how to jew people in business instead of following my dreams (laughgirls.jpg).

this

>The ancients were wrong about everything because their conceptions of natural science weren't as accurate as ours!

>it's an angry poorfag tries to find a way to feel superior to the wealthy episode
I wish I could reach that level of personal development, where you lack basic introspective capacity.

>wanting to pay 20-40k a year on a degree with no job prospects on things you could easily teach/ learn about yourself for free