Math majors and working mathematicians come in here please

Math majors and working mathematicians come in here please.
So I'm 19 and going back to school January. I thought since most people aren't that good in math and I practically have 4 months of free time. I want to get really good at math and major in math. The market can't be saturated, not a field where employers can pull the "you're overqualified" bullshit, they're all high paying jobs, probably no grad school so less debt and I become a better critical thinker. No one is born a fine artist neither, sure some folks are gifted in mathematics, but after learning the reason most folks are bad at math due to laziness. I really want to be good at it. /adv/ is full of depressed people who only talk about relationship problems. So I know I'm at the right place. Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i==True=False=!/=ObservedDeath/Death/ObserverDeath=!=Observed/Operator=/=Operator/Observer=<|>=True=0!>0==True=1!>1==False=0=False=1=True=1=1=log(x+y)=True=1=log(x+y)/Descriptor[n]=True
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

I'm 19 too, 4th semester sophomore, pure mathematics. I say sure, go for it. It is literally impossible to not get a job with a math degree (but you shouldn't get into math to get a job). If you want a kickstart get a geometry book (proof based) and study it. Euclidean Geometry is amazing to teach the essence of math. Also, I don't mean coordinate geometry. I assume you already know algebra so coordinate geometry won't help you. I mean pure axiomatic geometry, so that you learn the more abstract way math is done.

Other than that, if you get into math prepare yourself for the existential dread. Let me tell you something about me. When I was 5 I was diagnosed a genius. I attended special genius schools. I attended prestigious private high schools. I had all the odds in my side, and now I am succesful as a math major but you want to know what I am compared to Terence Tao? A piece of shit. What I am compared to Gauss? A retard. What I am compared to Riemann? A disgusting worthless ant that has no value at all and will die with no one caring for it.

I have to live with that every day. Could you live with that? Could you stay happy with those thoughts killing you from the inside? I can. Can you?

There are jobs you can get with a math degree that still pay like shit. Teaching, for example. Grad school can pay for itself, and graduate level math classes are really where you get into meaty, interesting problems. Undergraduate math is all introductory or survey courses, rarely (if ever) developing theory from a fundamental level. If you're going to major in math, at least minor in computer science (or just take some CS electives). The courses at your CS department are not going to be mathematically rigorous, and they'll be full of the most annoying autistic weebs you will ever meet, but they will teach you skills you're likely to need. Look into undergraduate research assistantships. They'll give you a glimpse of what grad school is like, letting you make a more informed decision about whether or not it's for you.

Jesus Christ get off of the internet and go socialize please.

I have class in 20 minutes. I am just relaxing a bit.

I may have to brush up in algebra. After Euclidean geometry where do I go? Idc about a legacy, I just want happiness and a good salary.

Thanks, well are their any good paying jobs I can get with a bachelors in math? Anymore advice?

Ive tried to get off here so many times
Even gone as far as having the admins ban me
Doesnt work
I think the anons at /tv/ were right
You literally can never leave ;_;

>I may have to brush up in algebra. After Euclidean geometry where do I go? Idc about a legacy, I just want happiness and a good salary.

If you get through geometry (or get bored) then you can go try other simple axiomatic systems. Probability theory is good for beginners. For something more robust you can try number theory.

>are their any good paying jobs I can get with a bachelors in math?
Pic related

Thank you very much. Why is the % so low on most of these? Is a math degree kind of limited?

Well, as you can see math majors spread around. There is no industry they dominate, they participate in all industries. No way they could have high percentages when spread that thin.

Any 150k+ jobs for a math major? pure or applied?

I see, that's cool. Thanks again.

>pic
b-but... muh $300K starting

What the hell are you recommending?

Linear algebra from hoffman kunze and analysis 1 from terrence tao. If you arent confident in high school math brush up on it by going through mit ocw calculus 1 18.01sc

Those numbers represent median pay. Some of those jobs, like a lot of the analyst positions lead to corporate, partner-level or other senior positions where you could make well over the median salary. It's kind of contingent on the size of your firm and how many miles of cock you're willing to suck.

PhD was not on the list.

Thank you very much. Any other words of wisdom welcome.

I have no words of wisdom, but a whole image of wisdom.

Interesting

Yeah, it is weird that Japan would write about how to become a mathematician and disguise it as a magical girl show but there you go. Japan just acts in mysterious ways.

What anime is that?

Little Witch Academia

Jesus

Are you sure the diagnosis wasn't "autism"?

Hooo... you sure you want this? I advise against it. Like, at gunpoint.

I had all the evens on my side, which is even worse. Because 0 is on the side of 2, if you 'mod' it with 4.

Maybe someone actually is ready to understand THIS:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i==True=False=!/=ObservedDeath/Death/ObserverDeath=!=Observed/Operator=/=Operator/Observer=<|>=True=0!>0==True=1!>1==False=0=False=1=True=1=1=log(x+y)=True=1=log(x+y)/Descriptor[n]=True

That too, but you are missing the point. Many people get into math thinking that they can just learn math and then end up as the next Gauss but the reality is that you will be lucky if you even get a PhD. You need to come to terms with the reality. Accept it as a possibility and understand the condition of being a mathematician. I am not saying you should accept you will never be great, just that you should be mentally ready to be mediocre if it happens that you weren't born right.

How do i get a job just researching more math?

grad school and then pursue a research career

Whats a research career? What do i need to pursue it? Papers? Publications?

>Many people get into math thinking that they can just learn math and then end up as the next Gauss
[citation needed]