Tfw doing Philosophy in college and loving every second of it

>tfw doing Philosophy in college and loving every second of it

Philosophy is the comfiest major I swear. Let's get some positivity going on this board. Who else loves/loved their major(s)?

Fuck all that. I saw Hidden Figures, STEMfagging is the only way! Changed my major before the semester started.

I love my major, math, because it allows me to avoid all people who live outside my house and requires no public speaking on my part. I don't plan on using it after I graduate and I hate programming. I would major in Philosophy if the department at my school wasn't pure shit and I'd major in English if they let me study from home and let me read and study and keep to myself. I'm going through some health problems so it's kind of difficult for me to go into public for a long time. I'm somewhat hopeful however that things may change in the future.

Majoring in computer science but focusing on network security so when the authoritarian left sends robot death squads in I will hack them to work for me.

Since you have an interest in both math and philosophy, how much does your understanding of either field complement the other?

Philosophy is shit because it's filled with brainlets who have never read any before.

I had to sit there, listening to their brainlet interpretations. I would often think, "my god!", today shall be the day I commit suicide!

t. The phantom of the opera.

In the third year of my physics degree. I can't rightfully cast judgement on it since I've failed to put even an iota of effort into it. I would love to say my true passion was in fact literature and philosophy but really I've read fuck all.

What do you do then?

I wish I could say something intelligent but I can't really say they complement each other in a way that I notice consciously. I do feel that while doing either I'm accessing a similar faculty of my brain but I can't really put my finger on it and I'm not even sure I am because the two are so different. I guess the two coincide because they both require active synthesis of prior knowledge and experience, although those reserves vary greatly for each subject. Math's rules are very defined and it's really always your fault when you cannot prove something or solve something but philosophy rests on either your experience with previous texts, and in my opinion, the degree to which you've already thought about something when encountering some philosopher or idea (e.g. being bored and wondering to what degree you know x,y,z and how you can prove it and so on. )
This made me kek, thank you user.

Are you me?

Mathematics. So comfy.

Fuck, I know this feeling. I only enjoy my engineering major because it requires 50 hours of studying and homework a week and keeping my mind active is the only thing that deters the suicidal thoughts.

I do have to work in teams for most of my classes but they're all similarly autistic or barely speak English so it doesn't bother me

>tfw did philosophy major
>one of my professors died the first semester
>quit college and never went back

Me but with my theoretical physics degree (except I actually do hate it)

You failed the first test, friend, by not having read Phaedo. A true philosopher embraces death

what will you do when you finish college and have to get a job?

You're a pussy.

>tfw you're an oldfag wagie with a kid on the way

I envy you guys

Lost the love of my life a few days ago and I wanted to have a family with her. I envy you.

>gap year, starting CS at college next semester
>reading at my comfy bookshop job and learning about smart white dudes
What a wonderful world we live in

What kind of degree you will recomment to someone who dont want to kill himself after graduation. I am working awful job, if i leave it for degree, it would be nice to got some better job because of that and not starve and be loser in eyes of my mother. What sould i choose. I thought about both philosophy and pharmacology, i dont have idea how pharmacology degree looks tho, i just like drugs

>CS
What is it with millennials and this faggot major?

Software engineering is fun, plus it gives me time to read and do stuff in the weekend + it pays well. Salty bois should stay out of my thread desu

>Salty bois should stay out of my thread desu

I think it's time you go back to rebbit and playing League of Legends with your other feminine friends. This thread is for redpilled men with classic, respectable degrees

see: Physics, math, engineering, philosophy

I'm a dropout, familia, but if I ever go back to education I would do philosophy

Engineering was a mistake

I want to kill myself

Work at the philosophy factory obviously.

Existential consultant

>being this cucked by ideology

Do Computer Science, too, you'll like it. It's like Mathematics and Philosophy had a baby.

CS is a meme degree. It produces code monkeys. Do Math, read SICP/TAOCP, practice your coding and you will be a better software engineer than 90% of CS graduates.

This depends heavily on the school you attend. Lots of CS programs (taught in Java, usually) are just designed to churn out retarded code monkeys to boost job placement numbers.
A good rule of thumb is if the curriculum is taught in C/C++ and requires classes like Operating Systems, Theory of Computation, Computer Architecture, you're not getting a meme degree.

Or you can go all the way and get a Computer Engineering degree. A guy I do projects with is a CE major, he's a machine.

Philosophy is just masturbation for your mind thats why its "comfy".

The same is true of almost all intellectual pursuits.

When you solve a problem be it a mathematical one or an existential one what happens?
You feel smart. You feel good. You feel successful. You feel affirmed.
The definition of stroking your own ego.

This is why I can never have defacto respect for academic types.
They're just high on a different kind of drug.

>he's a machine
I don't want to be a machine, I am a man!

I majored in philosophy and lit, minored in a foreign language, got a masters in 'social and applied philosophy' and now work as an ethics consultant at a hospital. Comfy, yes

What happened

tfw want to major in philo but will do CS because I need money to renovate my house into a study

Pays well and isn't that hard during undergrad.

>not learning exclusively theoretical CS without so much as touching an IDE
It's like you want to be a pleb or something :^)

>not copypasting everything from stackexchange without so much as touching a textbook
It's like you are a pleb or something :^)

>using an IDE

People who don't use tmux and vim disgust me

>vim
Back off while you still have two feet.

>People who don't use punchcards disgust me.
Get with the times, friendo.

Philosophy is merely a therapeutic endeavor; it has no value other than what you make up.

people who dont use IDEs in 2017 are fucking idiots

>dotnet and java babbies crawl out of their lairs

Well duh, but do you like it?

But Hidden Figures was a fraud. She was basically a spell checker.

But why does it matter if you're a "retarded code monkey" if the pay is good?

Code monkey life is best life

majoring mathematics and business rather than a passion i'm scared of being a loser. using education system for self-indulgence and lessening value of degrees earned by those who actually have reason to go to college doing these things makes you a loser.

I'm destined to be a code monkey, but I understand why some folks want more out of themselves. If you legitimately have a passion for the work, you want it done well.

>emacs

>why does it matter if you're doing a mindlessly boring, unchallenging and unfulfilling work if the pay is good?
Because there are better options out there.

I think you mean "Mother of modern rocketry and sassiest computer scientist of all time how can white bois even compete?", shitlord :^)

Is that from a hentai? If so, plz post source

The code monkey life can be done basically anywhere in the world. The world is your oyster, no other profession can compete.
>mindlessly boring, unchallenging and unfulfilling work
There are maybe, two other jobs on this planet that aren't though.Don't kid yourself.

Work by its very nature is boring, unchallenging and unfulfilling.
lel

The bigotry of low expectations must be defeated!

How about instead, you stop masturbating to impossible fantasy?

I love my Human Evolutionary Biology major in Anthropology!

>wanted to go to med school
>chose to do bio engineering so I'd have a fallback career
>going to end with a 2.8 gpa and job prospects are lab work or high school teacher

I should have done a meme degree like all the other med school applicants. I'm never getting in now

I love philosophy to, but want to major in a STEM field. Is majoring in STEM, and then minoring philosophy a smart/realistic thing i should go for?

>college is so fun i love my major!
>gets out of college
>"That'll be 80,000 dollars."

Maybe you can think some money into existence with that philosophy major

depends on the major but a lot of stem is hard as balls with only a few elective slots which you'll want to occupy with throwaway classes you can pass without showing up to. minoring in something in engineering or physics that isn't something heavily related (math, for instance) would set you back at least a semester

>projecting this hard

Maybe if you don't use the many programs available to you and sulk through college doing the bare minimum then yeah, you'll be paying 80,000 dollars. I, on the other hand, wasn't retarded so I'll be paying WAAAAY less than that for my comfy philosophy degree. Plus I'm black so even more free money for me.

>it requires 50 hours of studying and homework a week
Is this true? I always fantasize about going back to school, but then the reality makes me realize I wouldn't make it.

>There are maybe, two other jobs on this planet that aren't though
There are hundreds of them. Not everyone is an uninspired materialistic brainlet.

haha i know right, that guy is such a retard

haha

Depends on your natural ability, curriculum and uni. I'd say 50 is way too much for undergrads. Most of mechanical/chemical engineers I knew in my college managed to get through it with good grades while having side jobs and some even a semblance of social life.

Jizz what a cuck

Music performance at Berklee

How do I prepare for homelessness?

Steal from the college while you can.

Yes

My university only has 6 philosophy majors at the moment. The brainlets are all minors.
>Hellenophiles
>people have to get jobs
>STEM
>hard
Stop partying every night you stupid cunt.

I'm studying Lit at a fucking good university it's excellent.