I'm going to visit some friends next weekend, but the food in their area sucks balls, super hard...

I'm going to visit some friends next weekend, but the food in their area sucks balls, super hard, so I'm planning to make a lasagna to bring with me.

I want to put some veggies in with it, but I'm not sure what would go best. I was thinking spinach, peppers and zucchini. Any better suggestions?

Courgette and peppers are good. I like to start with sweating onion, celery and carrot when making my ragu as well. Never tried spinach in one. I'm not a fan but some folks like aubergine in lasagna.

>friends
REEEEEEEEE

vegetables in a lasagna?
are you a faggot or w0t

I kno, fuck veggies right? All food should be meat! Because meat is manly and delicious and EPIC! Lol, I should make an EPIC BACON LASAGNA. WITH BACON, with a side of bacon-fries and wash it down with a bacon-shake!

>All food should be meat!

No, more like veggies don't really belong in a lasagna. Make a different dish if you want to use a lot of veggies.

Okay, Lasagna Nazi.

I don't give a shit about "muh authentic recipe". I just don't think it's a good choice to make. The combination of flavor and texture doesn't sound appealing. There are so many better ways to use veggies so why stick them in lasagna?

potatos, maybe some pumkin

Vegetable lasagnas are common as fuck. It's a tried and tested dish. You are just ignorant.

>Let's not put veggies in our lasagna tonight, Steve, it's going to upset this anonymous guy on the internet

>The combination of flavor and texture doesn't sound appealing
>the combination of meat and vegetables doesn't sound appealing
This is fucking basic cooking. 75% of what we eat is meat and vegetables together. Listen to yourself. It's a fucking meat sauce, and there are tons of meat sauce recipes out there that use onion, peppers, mushrooms or some other kind of vegetable to add flavor.

>There are so many better ways to use veggies so why stick them in lasagna?
Because I want them in a lasagna. Why are you so triggered by that? Ricotta, pasta and meat is already a pretty big variance in textures, but somehow putting a couple of veggies in there gonna throw it all to hell? Holy fuck, shut up.

It sounds to me, 100%, like all you give a shit about is "muh authentic recipe". This is why I stand by my statement that Veeky Forums is one of the worst boards. Full of people who do nothing but talk and don't actually know shit.

the fuck happened to this board

Having a board about cooking on a site inhabited primarily by manchildren was a mistake.

Finely grate some carrot, and courgette into your ragu towards the beginning, it pretty much dissolves and add some great depth of flavour

That sounds really good. Thanks!

>75% of what we eat is meat and vegetables together.

Sure. And in some dishes meat and veggies go great together. In other dishes not so much. In my opinion lasagna is one of those dishes where they don't work well together.

>>Because I want them in a lasagna. Why are you so triggered by that?

I'm not triggered by that at all. I was simply pointing out the misunderstanding in post no. .

I'm not hating on vegetables in lasagna because I hate vegetables an only eat meat. I'm hating on vegetables in lasagna because IMHO that's a bad combination and the veggies are better used in a different dish.

Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not stopping you from putting veggies in your lasagna, just clarifying why I was recommending against it.

>>It sounds to me, 100%, like all you give a shit about is "muh authentic recipe".
But I already explained to you that I don't give a shit about authenticity.

>I'm hating on vegetables in lasagna because IMHO that's a bad combination
Most people in this thread would disagree with you, apparently.

>Most people in this thread would disagree with you, apparently.

Nothing wrong with that.

This. Aubergine is god tier in lasagna.

Won't the zucchini water it down like crazy?

>spinach, peppers and zucchini.

Those sound good.

Of course there's always the old school eggplant, and another combo that works well WITH meat, mind you, is quartered cherry tomato, bell pepper, onions, and basil.

Good luck.

>veggies don't really belong in a lasagna.

That's ridiculous. There's a shitload of veggies you can add to complement a standard meat lasagna.

Hell, you can't name a single meat dish that wouldn't be improved by adding the bell pepper, onion, tomato power trio to it. Not a single one.

>Won't the zucchini water it down like crazy?

Not if you slice it and salt it first, user.

Except your opinion is flawed in its very foundation. You say you don't think the flavor or texture would go well with lasagna, but vegetables have been used constantly to enrich meat sauces, and lasagna is already a mish-mash of textures, how would vegetables change it at all? Unless you somehow think the vegetables are going to be thickly chopped and left uncooked or something.

Why don't you just say "I don't like vegetables" and let's be done with it. That's the foundation of your terrible opinion here.

This is why I ask. I'm not sure. I've never used zucchini in something like this.

artichoke, zucchini+shrimp, broccoli, sausage+mushroom, radicchio, asparagus

>Hell, you can't name a single meat dish that wouldn't be improved by adding the bell pepper, onion, tomato power trio to it. Not a single one.

Tuna sushi.

>tuna
>meat

>Hell, you can't name a single meat dish that wouldn't be improved by adding the bell pepper, onion, tomato power trio to it. Not a single one

duck a l'orange

>Unless you somehow think the vegetables are going to be thickly chopped and left uncooked or something.

That was exactly my assumption. I've been served that exact thing on more than one occasion, and it's crap.

>>Why don't you just say "I don't like vegetables" and let's be done with it. That's the foundation of your terrible opinion here.

I love vegetables. I've repeatedly stated that I've got nothing against them, just againnst them in this particular dish.

If you leave them in large chunks then they have an awful texture that doesn't match the sauce and the pasta. You could chop them fine and avoid that problem, but then you end up with too much sauce.

If that's what you were served, you were served by idiots who don't know how to fucking cook vegetables.

>You could chop them fine and avoid that problem, but then you end up with too much sauce.
>chopping something more finely somehow increases its volume
And now you've proven that you're an idiot, too.

>Tuna sushi.

Topped with a tomato pasata that's been reduced, seasoned with wasabi and fish sauce, and garnished with diced onion and yellow bell pepper would be fucking delicious, dude.

Shitcan the "a l'orange" garbage and serve that duck properly with a stewed mater', pepper, onion combo.

>And now you've proven that you're an idiot, too.

How so? If I take my tomato base and I add other vegetables to it then how have I not increased its volume?

>stewed mater
no, duck goes better with some fruity glaze like orange, blackberry, wine and raspberry reduction

Too many flavors and textures. How am I supposed to appreciate the fish with so much extra shit in there. Might as well add another 6 dozen ingredients.

ragu is made with carrots, onion and celery

This. Duck is very rich and fatty, you want something sour/acidic to cut it. Goose and roast pork are similar, that's why those dishes are traditionally cooked with fruit and wine.

>t. StehpON

That's fine, more delicious roast duck with the power trio for me than.

>StehpON
you can't keep adding flavor over flavor, ingredients must be respected on such simple dishes

Sure, StephON.

Sure.

Stick with spinach and sliced sweet peppers. The zucchini will be a bit out of place. You might try mushrooms but I wouldn't recommend it with a tomato sauce. If you were using a white sauce I'd urge shrooms though.

Just take your famous authentic Irish stew instead

That's why you grate it, and add it early enough that the excess water sweats out

>You could chop them fine and avoid that problem, but then you end up with too much sauce.
This has to be bait