Last 5 books you read and others will judge you because you're so insecure and need to be knocked down a few pegs

Last 5 books you read and others will judge you because you're so insecure and need to be knocked down a few pegs.

1) Aristotle's Poetics
2) David Corbett's The Art Of Character
3) Yukio Mishima's The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea
4) Joseph Cambell's Hero With A Thousand Faces
5) Cervantes' Don Quixote (Part 1 and 2)

> Moby Dick
> Titus Andronicus
> Brief Interviews with Hideous Men
> Submission
> We

I enjoyed most of this except We. Really didn't enjoy that at all. Brief Interviews was good for the most part but some of the short stories in it were genuinely tedious and just gave me the impression that Foster Wallace had potential as a good writer but also gets distracted by his intelligence by overdoing it on the footnotes and flowery technical prose. Maybe it wasn't a good place to start with his work or maybe he's just not for me?

>reading a writing guide by some hack crime writer
really now

The Hard Life - Flann O'Brien
Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson
Mercier & Camier - Samuel Beckett
Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

>Steppenwolf
>Mr Norris Changes Trains
>No Longer Human
>The Iliad
>Stoner
Moby Dick is still my favourite, Stoner was great, hit me hard at "To W.S". Currently reading Crime and Punishment and enjoying it.

I haven't read his crime work but I was recommended his book and so far I find it has some useful guidelines and exercises. It's been a productive little book to get myself back into writing, even if I don't agree with everything in it. I'd give it a comfortable 7.4/10, lad.

C&P was one of my favourite books I read last year. A genuine treat imo.

I'm coming up to the halfway point now, and I'm surprised that I'm liking it this much. I enjoy Rodya's character, especially when he's delirious and almost giving himself away.

Sweet Thursday by Steinbeck
Crash and Burn by Artie Lange
White Noise by Don DeLillo
Galapagos by Vonnegut
It by Stephen King

Forgot to give any comment here.

I read Crash and Burn on a flight. It's low-brow, of course, but Artie is the patron saint of drunks and I can't resist him. Sweet Thursday was the end of a trilogy I loved dearly, it's criminally overlooked. White Noise is and was one of the greats. Galapagos was... so-so, even for Vonnegot. It was way too long and didn't make a lot of sense, but I can't resist King, he's hopelessly readable.

>The Bell Jar - 5.5/10
>100 Years of Solitude - 5/10
>Stoner - 8/10
>The Old Man And The Sea - 5/10
>Crime & Punishment - 9/10

> everyone posting what they read, nobody judging others

Fuck you.

Starbucks unpublished starving author who sucked his first dick last week. Smokes Marijuana vapes and can't grow a beard. Dark Souls fan.

Just turned 18, first time posting on Veeky Forums. Came for the ebin meme gold, stayed for the shit literature (except Moby Dick).

Trans thespian who lives in Portland, would have surgery to change skin colour if he could but is stuck with being a dirty whitey. Likes Belle & Sebastian.

Went to Europe once and now sucks dick for a living. Probably comes from India and voted Trump. Smoked weed once and now thinks life means something. Life of Pi is his favourite movie or some shit. News flash, cuckfuck: The Apu Trilogy is infinitely better.

Not sure if a pleb or not, no wait you are because you read Stephen King. Physically repulses me and I've only read your post. Probably thought The Martian was good too. Masturbates to Korean girls playing StarCraft and wishes why can't his mail order bride arrive sooner, that welfare money ain't gonna replenish overnight.

Saw their own penis and now they're gay. Probably has a hole in his bedroom mirror so he can fuck himself in the dick when he wakes up. Probably thought that swastika tattoo he got in college was a top kek and a half but now can't get work. Shit book collection. Touches his anus with a wet finger sometimes.

1. Dune
2. State and Revolution
3. Lanark by Alasdair Gray
4. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
5. The Master and Margarita

Is under 5' 9" tall

:)

>giving the old man and the sea 5/10
>rating the bell jar higher than the old man and the sea
>Stoner - 8/10
confirmed for b8 or an honest to goodness pseud

1) Time and Eternity (Craig)
2) Three Dialogues between Hylas and Philonous (Berkeley)
3) Catherine of SIena (Undset)
4) The Fatal Shore (Hughes)
5) Free to Choose (Friedman)

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life
Sophistical Refutations
On The Edge
Topics
The Syrian Jihad

>implying I've read 5 books in my adult life

The Whispering Swarm (Moorcock)
Rabbit, Run (Updike)
Jerusalem (Moore)
The Black Coat (Imam)
Lud in the Mist (Mirrlees)

How was Jerusalem, user?

Very good, desu. But I'm a sucker for the Mage of Northampton and not to be trusted.

No worries, so am I. Thanks, m8

>Political Theology, Carl Schmitt (8/10)
>The Girard Reader, René Girard (9/10)
>Can Life Prevail?, Pentti Linkola (7/10)
>Industrial Society and Its Future, Theodore Kaczynski (8.5/10)
>Amálgama, Rubem Fonseca (6/10)

dark jewels series by anne bishop
star force series by bv larson
ender's game series by orson s card
the count of monty cristo by a dumas
the sword of truth series by terry goodkind

im still not well read only having 500 books or so. i cant give a response for most of these old and slow reads but...

dune is in the next 20
do androids dream of electric sheep sounds dumb but going to try to get past the first 5
required chapters.

keep trying to learn something and one day you will be able to read at a college lvl. cant say anything other than kind suchs and his name is stephen not steven. google how to pronounce dr suess as example

iliad is on the top 20 to read list i dont know the rest. moby dick is one of the if i get crippled books or depressed enough. ill look into c&p thnx!

your just listing books people dont know. empire of the sun is one of the if i get crippled books

they have computers in mental institutions now? what a world we live in

I think Eco and Ballard are top tier. Good stuff. What were the O'Brien and Anderson like, desu?

What did you think about On The Edge?

Heard good shit about it. Should I read it?

no prison

Men explain things to me (Solnit)
Agapē Agape (Gaddis)
Patria (Aramburu)
Kreutzer Sonata (Tolstoi)
Don Quixote #1 (Cervantes)

That makes sense.

you saw a Veeky Forums starter guide and took it as cannon

I'm going to guess you are smart, and know you are.

Thoughts on the Syrian Jihad

Everyone look at this guy who replied to his own post and called himself smart lol

>Suicide of the West - Burnahm
>Democracy: God that Failed - Hoppe
>Decline of the West- Spengler
>Frankenstein- Shelly
>The Floating Opera - Barth

The Hard Life was fun. Not as interesting as his other novels, but good for a few laughs. I loved Winesburg. Probably one of my favourite American works, it captures that small-town loneliness perfectly.

David Markson - Reader’s Block, The Ballad of Dingus Magee, Wittgenstein's Mistress
Christopher Priest - The Gradual
Jung - Psychologische Typen

I fucking hate Markson.
Since you didn't quit after one, I'm assuming you think he's quite good.
Just one question for you; why?

Yes. It's great. The translation does a great job of preserving the tone and language of the original and there are some truly amazing passages. The last 100 pages are an emotional whirlwind.

>Thoughts on the Syrian Jihad

It's good if you're looking for a very detailed explication of the rebel landscape and a rundown of the Syrian Civil War up to 2015. The author has a bias though and it shows at times.

Lyotard - the postmodern condition
Faulkner - a rose for emily
Funetta - dalle rovine (from the ruins)
Guenon - east and west
Eliade - the myth of eternal return

hahahahah

people who are able to acknowledge their own great intelligence are genius!!

>Portrait of a Lady
>Moby Dick
>Anna Karenina
>Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
>West of Sunset

Currently reading Shelby Foote's Civil War and liking it a lot. Not sure if I'm going to just go straight for finishing volumes 2 & 3 immediately after I'm done with the first one or if I want to break it up throughout the year.

OK, well...

>The Jewish Study Bible: Second Edition
>The Jewish Annotated New Testament
>Short Stories by Jesus
>The Poems of Jesus Christ
>Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City

>Crying of Lot 49
>Bleeding Edge
>Crime and Punishment
>Notes from the Underground
>Dubliners

Great Expectations
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Journey to the End of the Night
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Stranger

and right now I'm about halfway through Catch-22 and I'm loving it

>Crime and Punishment
>Moby Dick
>Raise Hight the Roof Beam Carpenter and Seymour: An Introduction
>Huckleberry Finn
>Collection of Short Stories by Gogol

Also, it's worth mentioning that I'm reading the Bible on the side.

Jung - memories, Dreams, Reflections
Haidt - the happiness hypothesis
Moloney - the therapy industry
Lipton - the wisdom of your cells
Eddings - belgariad and mallorean series

Roberto Bolaño - 2666.
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World.
Roberto Bolaño - Llamadas Telefónicas.
James Joyce - Dubliners.
Ernesto Sábato - Abbadón, el Exterminador.

Qué tal Abbadón? De Sábato me gusta el tunel y antes del fin, pero no pude con tumbas... Opinion?

>Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, Haruki Murakami
>Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
>Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
>Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
>Bone Clocks, David Mitchell
:^)

Si no pudiste con Héroes, Abbadón te va a matar. La evolución de la obra de Sábato es progresiva, de nuclear a fragmentaria, y de novelística a ensayística, especialmente si se leen inmediatamente El Túnel, Sobre Héroes y Tumbas y Abbadón, el Exterminador. Siendo El Túnel (título más que apropiado) la más novelística y Abbadón la más ensayística.

Abbadón es una de esas obras a las que alguna gente gusta llamar inacabadas, aunque el término implique otra cosa. Acabada está, y muy bien.

En fin, que me encantó Abbadón, pero si no te gustó Héroes, probablemente la odiés.

House of Leaves
Children of Dune
The Dark Tower Books 1-4
The Girl In The Spiders Web
Dracula

House of Leaves was phenomenal and I found the concrete-poetry turned up 11 writing was effective.

Children of Dune is a step up from the sophomore snooze fesr that was Messiah. At times I found myself enjoying it more than Dune. Lots of former protags. turning heel and the fall of Paul's sister and the final confrontation had be a bit teary eyed.

Not much to tell Veeky Forums about TDT series and Dracula I imagine. Only that I regret taking this long to read either because theyre phenomal and that I now realize the "Stephen King is a horny bastard" meme has some truth to it.

Pleasantly suprised that this new author was successfully able to continue the late Larsson's millenium trilogy without stirring the pot too much. I don't think we really needed a 4th book, but it was a good thriller nontheless, even if it does leave further character development to the wayside.

I'll post my rates separately later when I'm not phone posting.

NABOKOV - PALE FIRE
FAULKNER - THE UNVANQUISHED
FAULKNER - THE SOUND AND THE FURY
FAULKNER - AS I LAY DYING
FAULKNER - LIGHT IN AUGUST

>The Confidence Man- Melville
>Typee - Melville
>The Last Man - Camus
>Lyrical and Critical Essays - Camus
>Resistance, Rebellion, and Death - Camus

high quality

>Homer - Illiad
>Sophocles
>Aeschylus
>Euripides (Cyclops, Alcestis, Medea, Heracleidae, Hippolytus, Andromache, Hecuba)
>Njal's Saga

THE GREEKS
H
E

G
R
E
E
K
S

and Icelanders

which of the first four Dark Tower books was your favorite so far?

with your ching chang chong talk
i cant understaaaaand you
go back to your country
white power

Book 2 The Drawing of the Three for sure. I thought the early stages of Roland's and Eddie's relationship under the circumstances was very believable and I found Eddie's banter really endearing. All the bits in the Three's world where Roland was a criticizing our "fat gunslingers" and marveling at things like soda and painkillers was all very entertaining too.

I like what you've read but I don't think it says much about you.
takes Veeky Forums very seriously but pretends he doesn't

>The Idiot
>Musashi
>Anna Karenina
>No Longer Human
>Napoleon: A Life

1. The Third Reich at War
2. Othello
3. Siddhartha
4. Thus Spoke Zarathustra
5. The First Day on the Somme

Black Sunlight by Dambudzo Marechera
The Loser by Thomas Bernhard
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea by Yukio Mishima
Dien Cai Dau by Yusef Komunyaka
No Doubt the Murder(s) of Oscar Grant by Thandisizwe Chimurenga

All of these books are fantastic. I think my favorite out of all them is Dambudzo's Black Sunlight. It turns into straight prose poetry in the second half.

What did you think of The Idiot?

In Cold Blood-Truman Capote
Airport-Arthur Hailey
National Lampoon's Doon-Ellis Weiner
The Last Surgeon-Michael Palmer
Diana: Story of a Princess-Tim Clayton & Phil Craig

From most recent to most distant

>Carl Manger - Principles of Economics
Wonderful work. His theory of marginality, natural monopolies, and idea of exchange values being predicated on an extension of trade sufficient to produce a consistent historically derived value was wonderful.
>John Maynard Keynes - The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money
Wow. This fucking work, man. I still am going to have to go back and re-read the second to last chapter where he goes on and on in regards to the classical economists. The man was so well read it is breathtaking. His general theory of economics is so impressive I truly wonder if anyone will develop a system so fully fleshed out and complex as his.
>Archimedes - Collected Works
Engineering, Conics, spheroids, pi, this man calculated it all. Wonderful book. Great primer to On Conics.
>Irving Fisher - The Theory of Interest as Determined by Impatience to Spend Income and Opportunity to Invest It
This was such a remarkably statistically backed work, that I wish every other economist would support his work empirically like this. His findings were multifaceted but culminated mainly in his neoclassical idea of the interest rate as determined by Willingness to save/invest and the opportunity(income) curve. It is remarkably similar to the demand and supply lines for Keynes theory of savings/investment rates except for the fact that those intersect and these are more hyperbolic and correlated in slope.
>Ludwig Von Moses - The Theory of Money and Credit
This was the only one I was only okay on. Not great, but still greatly informative. Moses is by far my favorite Austrian economist. He is absolutely brilliant, however a bit too preachy at the end. Keynes has some pointed criticisms of the Austrian school in general, so it is very unlikely I will read anything else from this school other than Hayek in the future.

Mises, not Moses.

pls no bully

I thought it was fantastic. I found the dialogue and the animated nature of the characters to be very humorous; the monologues, character development, and the plot were all thought-provoking; and it wasn't a difficult read. I'd recommend it.

Should Archimedes unironically be included in the Greek canon?

Hit me nerds.

>The Satyricon - Petronius
>Rappaccini's Daughter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
>The House of the Dead - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
>The Well of Loneliness - Radclyffe Hall
>The Watchmaker of Filigree Street - Natasha Pulley

>Mises
Read Rothbard if you still enjoy Austrian stuff after Mises. Rothbard is the only Austrian economist that takes things to their extreme logical conclusion, at least of the time.

Mao II by Don DeLillo
2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke
Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut
Decision Points by George W. Bush
Bullies by Ben Shapiro

And I'm currently reading "Fair Trade For All" by Joseph Stiglitz

How good is 2010 compared to 2001?

I'm somewhat compelled to read it because I know nothing about it, but if it pales in comparison I may hold off since there are so many other sci-fi books I need to read.

I'm not a diehard Sci-Fi fan, so I'm not really sure what makes a novel of that genre 'stand out'. I thought it was a good read, it's fairly short like the original (so if you dislike it, you didn't waste much time). It carries on some of the really abstract themes that made me like 2001, so I think it managed to hold strong even as a sequel. So based on my experiences, I'd say give it a read. There are apparently four books in the series, and it was good enough to make me want to read the others at some point.

Currently reading The Savage Detectives.
>Don Quixote (Part 1 & 2)
>The Master & Margarita
>The Broom of the System
>The Stranger
>Oblivion

Sweet. That's good enough for me. I know I can borrow it from my brother too, so that makes it easier.

He was great, a must read if you're interested in geometry.

Apollonius was unbelievable though. I'm reading On Conics right now and I'm on book III. It takes me 30 minutes per proposition and I only read one per day due to complexities. This is fucking ridiculous man, don't ever do this. But I am committed now.
No, I'm never reading Rothberg, read my post.

Glad to help!

Any opinions on Light In August? I haven't read any Faulkner, but I picked this up for really cheap a while back. I keep pushing this down on my 'to read' list.

R8

>ADA by Nabokov
>Selected poetry of W.B. Yeats
>Justine by Lawrence Durrell
>The Baron in the trees by Calvino
>Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo

Hard for me to speak on Light in August because I just finished it and it usually takes a couple days for books to digest for me to make commentary.

It was the last of what ive read of Faulkner and by far the longest. It churned out more detail than any other of his works I've read, both in a plot driving sense and stylistic/descriptive sense. Or i only perceive so due to its sheer length and amount of information, of which there is plenty due to its somewhat scattered plot lines and character development.

With that being said, i found it to be much less experimentative linguistically and in terms of narration compared to S&F and AILD, making it slightly more accessible however by no means a simple (dull) read. I'd say he put much more effort in descriptive aesthetics in this work compared to his earlier works.

Overall my first impressions is that it's a good read and is a Faulkner essential but should be read in a different light from his earlier masterpieces.

Light in August was amazing. It's pretty twisted. The social commentary hits hard Not too hard to read compared to his other works, but still long.

Dubliners - James Joyce
The Shadow of the Sun - Ryszard Kapuściński
Dark Tower 4: Wizard & Glass - Stephen King
Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Dog On It - Spencer Quinn

I really didn't enjoy Wizard & Glass, it basically made me drop the series. Also Dog On It was cute but it should have been shorter. Shadow of the Sun was really good. Hyperion and Dubliners don't need my praise.

first off check'd, you devilish bastard

as a junkie IRL, i identified immensely with Eddie and he is probably my favorite character (at least my favorite member of the ka-tet, because I also love Walter/The Man in Black/Flagg etc)

But as much as I agree with you about loving the Drawing of the Three as possibly the best book in the entire series, I really loved Wizard & Glass.
Just getting into the whole back story of where Roland came from and what shaped him into the man he is throughout the rest of the series, was incredibly compelling and interesting.
I particularly love the Big Coffin Hunters and Rhea of the Coos.

On a side note, once (if) you decide to finish the rest of the series, I would highly recommend reading the Marvel comics version of the story. The art is beautiful and it really fleshes out the whole backstory, as it starts when Roland is a kid in Gilead and works forward until it gets to the beginning of the Gunslinger and from there progresses through the novels (including the Little Sisters of Eluria).
Its not even done yet, they are currently on the Drawing of the Three and I'm not actually up to date on reading it all, but they have already gone through The Prisoner and The Lady of Shadows.

If you didnt like Wizard & Glass, you probably won't like the rest of the series, as it gets pretty slow for the next two books and way too fast for the final book.
So the good news is you saved yourself about 2000 pages of reading. I, personally, love the Dark Tower (even though I recognize its many flaws) but I totally understand that it's not for everyone, I feel like you have to be very heavily invested in Stephen King's whole literary universe.
There was a point in time where his novels were all I read for about two years.
I'm glad that I did it at the time, it was pretty much exactly what I needed during a rough time in my life where I could just easily breeze through 20+ books and feel a comfort that I got from purposely trying to scare myself or freak myself out, for whatever strange reason I had in my head, but I'm also glad that I've moved on to bigger and better things. Though it certainly broadened my recognition of many aspects of pop culture that King has been a surprisingly major part of since the 70s

Call me pleb but The Gunslinger was the only one I really enjoyed it, it felt leaner, sparse but kept itself interesting and ambiguous - also had quite a solemn apocalyptic feeling which the series the other books sort of crept away from.

If there's books in his repertoire similar to The Gunslinger in their style I'd like to try them.

1984 - Really enjoyed the first third and the last bit of the story, although I felt a little bored by Winston and Julia's romance. The amount of detail and thought put into the setting is impressive, even though some of the concepts have been ruined by pop culture. Anyway, it's just like what's happening right now, am I right???

The Crying of Lot 49 - First Pynchon I've read and it mostly confused me. I went back and read a few chapters after feelinf a bit unaarisfyed by the end and managed to piece together some thing thats I hadn't picked up before. Maybe I'm just not used to his style of writing. I will definitely reread it after reading more of his stuff.

Animal Farm - Never read this in school like most people did. I think I enjoyed this more than 1984.

House of Leaves - 700 page long creepypasta.

Slaughterhouse 5 - Would have enjoyed this a lot more when I was 16.

I've been reading somewhat seriously for about half a year now, but I feel a little burned out now. I'm away to read The Trial by Kafka, then I'm not sure. Don't want to tackle the Greeks just yet.

Didn't mean to reply.

>A Farewell to Arms
>The Motorcycle Diaries
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (reread)
>Pot Stories for the Soul
>Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

unfortunately the Gunslinger is a pretty unique part of his bibliography, but I would definitely also recommend "It." While it is kind of a massive book (which doesn't really matter to us cool kids on Veeky Forums) it's also a very interesting story about the things that scare us as children and how they can come back to haunt you later in life when you think you've stopped believing in them.

"Eyes of the Dragon" is probably closest to the style of the Gunslinger, in my opinion. Plus it's stylistically different from pretty much every other book he's ever written.
"The Stand" is another massive book, but it's been included on a number of Best Of lists that I've seen. Pretty dope story about a super-virus that takes out most of the population and the different factions that arise out of the new post-apocalypse society. Plus it's the book where Randall Flagg (aka the Man in Black) comes from.
I know King isn't really highly valued among Veeky Forums regulars, but he does have a ton of interesting and original stories that are also super easy to read, you can just breeze through them, even if they are 1000 pages long.

the lichtenberg figures - ben lerner
first love and other shorts - samuel beckett
the way of zen - alan watts
resistance, rebellion & death - albert camus
birds of america - lorrie moore

second semester sophomore

fifth month on Veeky Forums

>Ring (the novel the film is based on)
>The Lord of the Rings
>Vita Nuova
>Wizard of Earthsea
>American Lit Textbook

how was ring? i just downloaded it, should i start it right away or was it not that good?

>Mein Kampf
>Economics in One Lesson
>Starship Troopers
>Fyodor Dostoyevsky Short Story Collection
>Culture of Critique

I think I'll read Crime and Punishment or some Non-Fiction/Political book next. My backlog is enormous.