Phyiscal Elitism

>The perfect reading device doesn't exsi-

Are you a snob that must read a physical copy of a book? Why or why not? Do you have a preference of digital vs physical? I have a Kobo Glo HD and it's literally perfect, I thought that I would hate reading digital copies of things but it's surprisingly amazing with e-ink screens.

Sunk cost fallacy, I own a lot of books, so I keep buying books for my collection.
I am the only person who ever sees them, and I waste time dusting them.

Help.

People who worry about how a book feels or smells or looks don't read books. They feel and smell and look at books, but they don't read them.

I'm not. I'm considering buying an e-reader tomorrow in fact. I've moved 4 times in the past 2.5 years and expect to move again in the next few months. It's a pain the dick and I long for a more minimalistic lifestyle.

shill plz go

I have an e-ink reader and a tablet. When it's possible, I like to have a physical copy and a digital copy of whatever I'm reading at the time. This prevents me from downloading 1200 e-books the way I see a lot of people doing.
I know for a fact that people with tremendous digital libraries spend more time browsing and downloading books than they do reading them.

>having to charge a book
>restricting the number of positions you can read because of a shitty flat non-malleable screen

Yeah, no thanks, im not a good goy.

>Yeah, no thanks, im not a good goy.

But digital reading is cheaper.

Did I make an argument about the price? I don't remember, I made that post such a long time ago.

>good goy

Do you read them? If so, I don't see a problem.
That makes sense, but on the flip side I find that I can associate the way a books smells with memories of reading it. That extra sensory input helps build retention for some people I guess.
They're incredibly convenient, that's for sure.
>Shill
For a discontinued model that isn't even even popular in the US?
Charging is pretty much a non issue, it charges quickly (like an hour from 0-100%) and lasts for a really long time and has a backlight. And I don't understand your "non-malleable screen" argument

Planning to get an eReader. Which one is the best one available right now lads?

Veeky Forums doesn't have very good reading comprehension for a board called Veeky Forums

Real patricians read in pdf files in their laptop

>And I don't understand your "non-malleable screen" argument
Why am I not surprised that Veeky Forums doesn't understand basic English

You are trying to brush off the fact that you are mistaken by being unnecessarily rude.

Reading on a screen hurts my eyes after like 15 minutes. I wish it didn't because E-reading seems so convenient.

This. "I like books" doesn't mean "I like reading"

Depends what entirely, but I like to have physical copies to make notes and underline stuff.

>inb4 'omg he's ruining books'
Stfu, some books you need to underline, especially philosophy, I like to come back to it later, dont be plebs

I like the Kobo Glo HD a lot. I had a Kobo aura which was nice also but it did not a 300ppi screen. 300ppi is a must in my opinion but others have less severe autism. Kobo is more open in terms of file acceptance than Kindle; but Kobo has worse marketplace if you're into the Amazon ecosystem. Use Calibre to manage your books regardless.
Give an instance where I would absolutely need a malleable reading surface. I can see that it would be nice for books with a few illustrations in them so it would be easier to look at them and rotate the book or have images span more than one page (like maps). However, sometimes it is a minor inconvenience, it's basically a nonissue.
E-Ink screens are bad too? I find them as easy to read as normal physical pages. That's the reason I got one is so I could get books easier and not have a fucking million of them; only just the ones I want to have a physical copy of.

>preventive defensiveness
>being an insecure pleb in 2017

I think writing in books is personal preference really, I feel guilty/dirty for doing it and would rather just write down my notes somewhere else. I don't like "tainting" books, I like them in "good" condition. However, just because I do not do it doesn't mean people shouldn't, it's actually probably a really good habit to get into.

Yeah, I totes worry what people are gonna tell me on lit where Im anonymous. Its more like predictable argument for the sake of skipping that part of conversation

>Give an instance where I would absolutely need a malleable reading surface
Lying on your side in bed

>reading on your side
In all honesty probably easier since you don't have to worry about folding/creasing/tearing. This is a horrible argument.

I appreciate the convenience of ebooks but real books do have distinct advantages- eg it's so much easier to flick from section to section. This is especially important for academic books with references- I've yet to read an ebook which does these well.

>so much easier to flick from section to section

What is ctrl+f

I will give you this point, it is definitely much harder to flick around when reading, but I've gotten used to it. Don't really find myself doing it too often.
You don't have ctrl+f on an e-reader. You can scroll through chapters and stuff but it's a little more roundabout/difficult to find stuff and might take a while.

you can do that a lot easier on an e-reader though

I like epubs that are formatted properly, but there's a ton of shit that you can't find or you're forced to read pdf scans. A large city with a good library system is still the best way to go.

I can't argue against e-readers. You should use them if you don't mind them.

I still prefer physical and I won't try to defend it, I just do. If I have an e-reader next to me I don't actually read as much as when I have a physical book next to me. That's all there is to it.

I would rather be without my phone than my kindle. Being able to read anywhere in any lighting is maximum comfy.

>You don't have ctrl+f on an e-reader
You do, though because of the e-ink display it's rather cumbersome. But if you wanted to look up where a character or something appeared before, you can definitely do that without page flipping.

Does it have a web browser? I'll get one if not.

Enjoy your eyesight while it lasts m8

I've always read print books and I don't see a reason to stop. I am far more comfortable reading a physical book than I am reading a screen. I also can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on a machine just so I can re-purchase all the books I already own only for the entire collection to be obsoleted within 10 years probably.

Also I lend my books out to friends a lot, which I couldn't do with an ereader.

Both, I prefer physical books but e-readers are great when I'm traveling light. My annotations are organized much better in my physical books though, so I still use those exclusively when doing research.

used to have a kindle. i really liked it until my friend sat on it and broke it. now i stick to paper books because if someone sits on them they wont break

Paperwhites have one but it's so shit you won't want to use it anyways.

The battery on my nook simpletouch is shot; does anyone know what the best cheap ereader is?

Kindles are great but sometimes the PDF files are missing words and shit. Any fixes?

But being a elitist in the internet is fun

>hundreds
This isn't 2008 anymore, kindles go on sale for like $50
and you can just pirate the books

Which one do I buy fuck.

i like being able to read a book in the dark.

and i also like being able to download literally any book i can think of off the internet.

there is nothing wrong with e-readers.

Probably the kindle paperwhite

I find that a lot of what I want to read isn't in ebook form, and whatever is in ebook format can be read on my computer.

I think the PC/Laptop is the biggest reason to not get an e-reader. Most likely, you've already got a device that can do anything your e-reader will do.

It's extremely uncomfortable to read on a laptop or PC.

perhaps I'm just unaware of the comfort of an e-reader, but I find reading books and computer screens just fine. You just need a good chair.

The fundamental issue though is I simply don't like reading on a screen. I've read physical books most of my life and that's what I'm comfortable with. I was reading books for almost 10 years before I ever had to read anything on a computer screen and I still associate screen-reading with work and school all these years later.

>I simply don't like reading on a screen.
nice trips but I almost forget that the kindle is a 'screen' due to how it's built. No oppressive headache-inducing light. Very close to emulating actual pages/ink

And yet here you are reading Veeky Forums on a screen

I kind of want an e-reader but my Nexus 5 does such a good job already. Just having a high-res screen and dark enough black to be easy on the eyes.

It is an amazing world to be in where I can go on bookfi and get 99% of any book I'd want, and read them on my phone instantly.

I own a Nook and did a lot of my reading on it for a long time but recently I've been buying and reading more physical books and I feel like I absorb, material, and understand the material I'm reading more with the physical books.

Here we go. The debate of physical vs. Digital books is like the vinyl vs. Flac debate on /mu/.

>Book 5-7
Only book 1-3 are important user. The rest after the locus problem is trivial.

I've bought one 2 years ago, and I've trashed it 6 months later. Reading on a screen is way too distracting when compared to actual books.

>Writing in a book
You should be burned at the stake

The kobo aura one is supperior in every regard

>reading

What's the best e-reader or tablet for pdfs? I have a Kobo Glo (not HD) and it is shit for reading pdfs and it's shit on my phone (equations and graphs suck when they're small)

Honestly, all e-readers suck for pdfs. If you can justify the cost and think you'd use the other features, get a Surface. Otherwise just get some mediocre android tablet

I actually prefer eBooks for this very function. With a very long work with lots of characters, you can ctrl+f that name, or even place names. You don't get that with physical books. That said, I feel like I read slower on e-readers, not page flipping, just way my eyes react to the medium, but I've been using them since I was like 12... So, I don't know what I prefer.

>projection

>perhaps I'm just unaware of the comfort of an e-reader
You are

kobo glo hd is no more available here (france) what's the best alternative ?

Kindle PW

So lads, I'm torn between buying a Kobo Aura and a Kindle. Kobo is £20 more expensive. Is it worth it?

OR

I could buy a second hand Kobo Touch for half the price. I don't need a backlight really.