Veeky Forums I cant decide if I should major in math and physics or major in math and minor in philosophy...

Veeky Forums I cant decide if I should major in math and physics or major in math and minor in philosophy? what should i read to help me figure out how to make this important decision?

math, and physics, and philosophy

just math, the philosophy can be learned on your own

Major in math/physics. The material would be harder to learn on your own, especially given the equipment you might need for physics. Take some phil courses and befriend people who are into that sort of thing.

>befriend people who are into that sort of thing.
tips on meeting people like that?

Why not double major in philosophy and physics, maybe minor in math? Phil/Physics combo is top tier

Are you mainly interested in math? I'm wondering since it was in both your choices

If so, I'd go with math/physics if you're more into the applied side of math, and math/phil if you're into the pure side of math (especially if you find the foundations of mathematics interesting).

I majored in math and physics then went to grad school for math. Dropped out early because I couldn't handle having no time to think about other things. I really needed the balance with things like literature and philosophy.

The most successful of my grad school peers were not necessarily the most talented but the ones who were most all-consumed by math. If you're serious enough about philosophy to consider it then you need the balance. Take it from somebody who made this mistake already. You won't have time to "learn it on your own" without your other work suffering.

this

>You won't have time to "learn it on your own" without your other work suffering.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of
Yeah the theoretical part of physics interests me most along with the foundations part of math interesting me most, so i'm having a tough time deciding
>Phil/Physics combo is top tier
why do you say that?

"hey lit, which of these stem fields should i major in?"

fuck off

You won't get much of what you would consider theoretical physics as an undergraduate. Maybe as electives in your last year or two. The core undergraduate curriculum is mostly devoted to the classical stuff which is prerequisite for what you're hoping to see.

Take Classics, read Euclid in the original Greek.

Seriously, going through Classics gives you the foundation for the rest of the canon, plus the linguistic ability to help you become a better reader, writer, and thinker.

Also, fuck off with these images.

Major in physics and minor in philosophy

Why read Euclid in the original Greek? Legitimately curious, I have an annotated copy of the Elements with a lot of translation notes, and I don't really there's much lost in translation that would matter to anyone besides a math historian.

Undergrad physics alone is pointless from the job market perspective, but then so is philosophy. If you're not planning to pursue graduate degree in either, just go with whatever will bring you most joy. In terms of work intensity first combo might be easier, because large parts of undergrad physics are math lectures (Ana/LA). Of course I'm not that familiar with philosophy curriculum, so might be wrong here.

There are no reasons. It's just someone trying to rationalize shit life decisions.

Fuck off please, OP.
> also: source?

major in computer science and philosophy, minor in math

Why should he fuck off? I know this is a literature board but this kind of question might lead to an interesting discussion on the relation between those topics.

I think the case of Plato and Aristotle may give more motivation for learning Ancient Greek. Plato's Meno and Timaeus come to mind as well as Aristotle's logical works. The medievals also wrote a lot on logic in Latin.

Physics. If you were meant to major in Philosophy you would not have to ask.

What do you mean?

It's like serving in the priesthood. If you haven't heard the call, you don't belong.

Thank ye, fellow, Brethren of The Dark Robe,

im hearing the call

What does the call say? What do you want to do with your life? What do you want to accomplish? What can you bear doing everyday? What are the top 10 things you can do to insure and assure you will have the greatest odds at being able to make a decent living (/minor in without being always on the verge of blowing your brains out, unless you want and can bear that)

Major in something like accounting or engineering or physio that'll get you a job.

All the majors that you just listed are dead ends unlesss you plan on pursuing academia, which you don't want to do.

Why are there so many math majors on lit?
>t. A math major

>which you don't want to do.
that's what I want to do lel

Me too. It's because most of us majored math to understand some truth about the universe and all we got was maggoty Zorn's lemma jokes.

you shouldn't go to college, period. Waste of money

if you go only accept pell grants so you don't put yourself in debt

I'm surprised to see this economic focus on lit. I didn't go to university to get a job; I went so that I could study and live in that environment. It was well worth the loans I needed to take.

did you get laid?

Yeah but that's not really what I meant by the environment. I meant in an academic sense.

whatever you do, dont be like me and major in computer science. i spent all day today on my phone looking up jobs that a computer scientist can do that dont involve computers.

so now im in debt, working at a job i hate, and i didnt even get to slack off in college studying something i loved.

at least i know i can pay off this debt eventually. meanwhile im reading lots of anti-technology stuff hoping for the best and trying to write the great american novel.

If you want to learn how to make lanyards you can join the boy scouts and get a merit badge in maybe 4 months

Technology is not bad. Why did you go into computers if you dont like computers at all? What aspects were you considering? IT, repair, call center help? Software design, engineer? hardware? systems management/design? electrical energy grid internet network? server stuff? build, repair, maintain, design, innovate, computer stuff?