I am troubled by the Big Questions - what is the purpose of life? is there a God? what's the right way to act? etc...

I am troubled by the Big Questions - what is the purpose of life? is there a God? what's the right way to act? etc. I have opinions on these questions, but they are uncertain and I am plagued by doubts all the time.

Will reading philosophy help me answer these questions in a way that would convince me? Even if the answer is "there is no purpose" or "nobody knows for sure, lol" - I don't care; at this point I feel like taking a leap of faith into agnosticism/nihilism is no more valid than taking one into certainty/realism. If there isn't anything to know, I want to know that that is the case.

Should I start with the Greeks? I'll do it if I have to, but I'm tempted to solve fun trolley puzzles instead :^(

Other urls found in this thread:

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl
philpapers.org/surveys/demographics.pl
givingwhatwecan.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Should I start with the Greeks?
You already know the answer.

You won't get a straight answer to any question like that but at least they will make you think about them in an intelligent way. There's a lot of different perspectives to gain insight from and you might over time be able to formulate your own opinions and answers.

>Will reading philosophy help me answer these questions
Yes. Philosophy nowadays is concerned with other matters. All these questions have already been answered.
There is no purpose. If you really want one you could say reproduce, have pleasure or obtain power.

There is no God.

Act by the categorical imperative.

A good start is History of Western Philosophy - Bertrand Russell. It's easy to find the pdf.

>All these questions have already been answered
where the consensus tho

If you want to discuss post the research paper not a pol tier info graphic.

>act by the categorical imperative
Lmao nobody believes in that anymore

Mind updating me on that then?

Who was surveyed for this and who confucted the survey? And don't just say "philosophers."

philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl

>Act by the categorical imperative
Isn't that fucking tragic? Nobody does it. Therefore, it means "be a hero".
Do I HAVE TO be a hero?
The categorical imperative would make the world a better place immediately if everyone started applying it NOW. But they won't. Ever. Why would I bother forcing me to apply it then? This world is shit because we make it shit. Nobody is willing to stop making it shit. Why would I go out of my way to do 'Good' if the world is still going to be shit?.. if people dont give a fuck?

excuse my English.

Unbelievably biased.

philpapers.org/surveys/demographics.pl

>there's no God
>act by Bertrand Russell philosophy
*tips fedora*

You can filter by demographic if you want, still no consensus.

>If you really want one you could say reproduce
>Act by the categorical imperative

The CI is anti-natalist

Will the Greeks be of any use if I want to know more about the philosophy of language?

I think the greeks are useful in any and all pursuits of knowledge. It's a good foundation to understand anything and everything in our civilization. Not necessary though.

Maybe if your learn their language

That's because the Cathegorical Imperative is bullshit. You can accept that there's a natural Law derived from God or that there's nothing and fall into nihilism.

This.
Make the leap to faith OP

>Will philosophy help me answer these questions

No, that's a naive misconception, philosophy will make you doubt much more than the big questions and make you skeptical about the constructed nature of reality, the division between perception and object and the empirical validity of logical principles, among other things.
If you want prepackaged answers, I suggest not reading any historical philosophers and picking up the logical positivists or something. If you want to throw yourself into the real deal, start with the presocratic fragments.

Or you can go with virtue ethics like a normal person and realize other approaches have been destroyed.

just start with Wittgenstein's Tractus and Philosophical Investigations, branch out from him, then come back to him.

>other approaches have been destroyed
More like the other approaches are not in vogue.

Utilitarianism and deontology were in vogue for centuries, virtue ethics has proven to work better in explaining human behavior as well as a normative system, despite all of it main themes being written 2500 years ago.

>despite all of it main themes being written 2500 years ago.
So what you're saying is it's currently in vogue...

Yes, every philosophy that's current for any amount of time is in vogue. Is this supposed to be an argument? It's also in vogue to think of my interlocutor as an individual subject, maybe later on subjective idealism will be vogue so I can pretend your posts don't exist.

Wittgenstein is always good, but I would recommend reading the Socrates tracts by Plato first.

>other approaches have been destroyed
Name ONE good argument against utilitarianism that's not actually strawman bullshit like "lol so you think everyone should be forced to take heroin 24/7?"

That's not the point (and I'm not him) but the fact that you think that 1. philosophy needs to be accessible to the normal person and 2. That a theistic approach to the natural Law is destroyed by virtue ethics when the approach doesn't even adress the ultimate cause of the virtue existing inside every person.

I hate you

Not him but the fact that it would put incredible stress in people's life since true utilitarianism would put every life under the same value (except for the life of old people/babies)

>Act by the categorical imperative.

Hegel destroyed that.

>it's bad because it would cause stress

You do realize you're arguing against it on utilitarian grounds, right?

that was the entire point; utilitarianism ends up contradicting itself no matter what.

It's not a contradiction of utilitarianism to conceptualize the philosophy in a non-stressful way.

givingwhatwecan.org/

>natural law derived from God
>implying this wasn't btfo in the euthyphro

Aggressive theists should kill themselves ASAP

wut?
Euthyphro dilemma is baby's first attempt to disprove God.

God is the standard of the morality. Easy.

Okay, please demonstrate how it's not a problem for the "God is the source of all morality" theory

what?