What happened to the horror genre?

What happened to the horror genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HpA4ldGoHRQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stephen King brought it to its natural conclusion

We are no longer scared by monster or even death. We now fear failure, being alone and things like that, so the real horror books talk about that and not about monsters anymore.

deep

>Horror didn't exist.
>Horror was invented.
>Horror authors produced cliche-ridden and derivative trash.
>Classics with horror elements were rebranded as Horror because the culture wants to justify this shitty genre.
>Idiots think Horror went from good to bad because of this historical revisionism.
>This thread happened.

Creepypasta brought it to its natural conclusion

Would recommend some books in this category?

Blatty's Exorcist was genuinely creepy. Legion by him was infinitely better tho. He laced a lot of theology in there as well. Great, great book.

People have always felt like that though, and it didn't stop good scary books before. Only difference is stuff like twitter allows everyone to bleat these insecurities.

Who are you quoting?

>Watches synedoche new york once

I really loved The Exorcist novel. I like to find used books (of course it easy just to order them, but I love The Hunt) so I whenever I went to a used book store, I would look for The Exorcist.

I happened into this huge store that was a massive fire hazard, with books double stacked everywhere, narrow aisles and tiny side rooms. I asked the lady if they had it and she said "if we do, it'll be in the upper room".

I was looking in the correct area and was about to give up when I decided to move one more stack and there it was. One copy of a 1973 printing, with a 70's era purple color cover. I could hear the music from the movie playing in my head as I shifted the stack and the book was revealed to me. It was an excellent find and I started reading it that night. Easily 9/10 novel.

It got scared by capitalism and went into hiding

goosebumps was scary enough

real answer: we have cell phones now. it's not plausible for any of the old horror situations. unless the aliens turn your cell phone off, but that just seems cheap.

you're never alone. aliens and monsters seem to be near when you're alone, even if you're in a house in a suburb alone, that's enough. but you're never alone with cell phones and internet.

stephen king sadly

Also things like Twilight as well as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies took away some credibility.

>real answer: we have cell phones now. it's not plausible for any of the old horror situations. unless the aliens turn your cell phone off, but that just seems cheap.

This is a good point. I can still get spooked by stuff if it's set innawoods or somewhere that someone might plausibly be where that shit won't work.

It moved to the internet

Underrated

Maybe what we fear is not the Others but our own tribe, ourself included.

We replaced our fear of the unknown with fear the known.

The average man doesn't fear vampires or ghosts. He fears his neighbour from a different country. He fears the company he works for and the people that own his life.

Compared to the concept that your future is in the hands of the same people that bankroll Marvel films, horror just isn't scary any more.

The publishing industry milked it dry, so reheated it as another genre. I believed they called it "supernatural romance." See Twilight, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=HpA4ldGoHRQ

Horror/Fantasy/SciFi is the bottom of the barrel.