So I come to writing from a pretty hard-core, abstract place...

>So I come to writing from a pretty hard-core, abstract place. It comes out of technical philosophy and continental European theory, and extreme avant-garde shit. I'm not talking Pynchon and Gaddis. That's commercial avant-garde.

What did he mean by this?

I am art, I am edge, look at me go.

god i skimmed some of that interview and dfw always sounds like such an asshat
>It's really designed more like a piece of music than like a book, so a lot of it consists of leitmotifs and things that curve back
every novelist like ever has done this, you didn't invent using motifs in a book dipshit

this is one of the best things i've ever read on Veeky Forums

He meant the Oulipo writers and Thomas Bernhard and such, as opposed to American meganovelists.

Reminder

>Following his death, David's sister Amy spoke to a radio interviewer about the music her brother had liked: Pearl Jam, U2, a cover of "Our Lips are Sealed" by Fun Boy Three, the ska band Madness.

If some other person wrote everything DFW did, DFW would hate that work. He always seemed to rail against his own way of doing things.

He was an extremely complicated individual.

How so?

*confused

> Can't find a pleber man

wow, he was also Veeky Forums as fuck

Black crew socks were Veeky Forums post Fab Four for sure. I did it as a kid.

I guess David Markson type stuff. It's kind of funny because he's the God of commercial avant-garde

it's funny because he was pretty shit at reading pynchon

DFW meant it when he said he was a fraud in Good Old Neon...

kys

whats with this fake DFW quotes trend

oh i am laffin

He was extreamly autistic and stupid
People who are extreamly autistic but not dumb do works of philosophy like Wiggy, Kant, and Nietzsche.
DFW could only write self-help tier shit
If he had stopped pretending and caring about being "omg so intelligent and abstract, but also artsy feelsy and druggie xd" he might had been able to make actually good stuff
I dont think he was untalented, he really had potential, but he managed to cuck himself so hard by trying to be something he was not.
I hope he is at peace now.

Conversations with David Foster Wallace, p. 71

I used to post fake DFW quotes on the /deepweb/ before if became a trend here desu

There is no peace for suicides

wait.. so.. youre tryna tell me, he sincerely unironically dressed like that?

I know too many trees in this forest... :-(

Love that canto

While many novels have leitmotifs, relatively few use it as their main structuring principle. The Recognitions and Gravity's Rainbow are two novels that do so very effectively.

okay either i grant you your point and say fine, unique structuring principle blah blah blah but the examples you use directly contradict what dfw is claiming, so the authors he says he isn't like are the ones he's mimicking and therefore he's a dumbass

or i disagree and say that's basically how any novel works, they follow certain patterns of varying complexity, and these patterns are what we call 'narratives', and dfw is still a dumbass

>My favorite writers are Steven King and Tom Clancy because I'm so hip with the kids and ah shucks, look at me, just another regular guy who watches saturday morning cartoons with cocoa crisps on the weekends!
>I come from the REAL avant garde. People of your IQ could not even FATHOM how avant garde and complex this work is. Pynchon and Gaddis are mere commercial literature compared to this.
>I'm just another regular dude, I like to listen to rap music and cool regular guy bands
>references Ligeti in this short stories to try to show how cultured and sophisticated he is
>Look at how self-aware I am! look at all these ironic people who think that they're sooo self-aware and cool for being ironic dicks, but I'm soo much better than that because I'm sincere. But of course, I'm so self-aware that I'm now going to deflect your criticism by criticizing myself, aw shucks, man it sucks being self-aware! but deep down I'm definitely such a kind and beautiful soul, tortured by my overwhelming genius
>sexually assaults students, stalks and attacks Mary Karr

DFW was a fucking mess.

The first one works for me.

Real quote, tard

Which story does he reference Ligeti?

Reading about his shenanigans is better than his actual books
I hope Pynchon writes a book based on DFW

I would also kill myself if I had said something as that, and I have said A LOT of embarrassing, pretentious and pseudointellectual stuff, but this guy was on another level.
Wasn't he supposed to be self-aware?

look at this smug mother fucker

Is everyone going to sit here and talk shit or actually try to figure out what he was talking about?

this is literally the next sentence;

>That's commercial avant-garde. I'm talking like Beckett, and Fiction Collective 2, and Dalkey Archive." Suddenly, he slaps his forehead, swears, and makes the train noise again.

that can't be real

what a fucking tool

>U2

you did black socks with comical 90s era "stompin' in my air force ones" sneakers

even black socks and sandals looks better

Are you faggots really so arrogant to think you have his self-identity complexes and tastes locked in? The guy had an IQ of 190, your lives would appear as little dips off the water slide in comparison to the gargantuan awarenesses he had. When you can remember every day of your life liking cool experimental rock like animal collective! probably is not so important. His reasoning for his taste was probably based on a pattern of consideration you nignogs can't even fathom, and why should you be able to? Shame on you for lacking the intellectual curiosity to even consider, "gee, maybe I don't totally understand this off-the-bell-curve genius". Shakes shakes shakes my head

He wore a fucking bandana you racoon!

Don't question 10 year old me's fashion sense. Deion Sanders shoes with black socks in 95 had every fifth grade girls hands all over me.

I haven't been here in a while, but this smells like pasta

He shitposts on Veeky Forums

>Suddenly, he slaps his forehead, swears, and makes the train noise again.

Autism.

>So I come to writing from a pretty hard-core[1], abstract place[2]. It comes out of technical philosophy[3] and continental European theory[4], and extreme avant-garde shit[5]. I'm not talking Pynchon and Gaddis [6]. That's commercial avant-garde [7].

[1] the place is full of pedos, nazis, all kinds of perverts and mentaly ill people
[2] we also like cats and memes
[3] highly sophisticated stuff, it was programmed, actually stoled and translated, by an 15 years old kid*
[4] "look how cool this nietzsche quote is"
[5] memes
[6] they actually have literary merit**
[7] buy Veeky Forums pass

*i wonder if computer programming could really be called technical philosophy; there is this stuff called logic in it, so it should be fine

I legit know a guy who wears a bandana everyday, loves infinite jest, and regularly repeats dfw-esque wisedom to the room unasked. like "I'm just a regular guy who likes cartoons ". "But hey have you ever thought about derrida and string theory."

I wish I was making this up, he role plays as dfw. I want to kill him with my bare hands.

based, wish I knew him

Strawberry Jam > STGSTV > HCTI > Sung Tongs > FBK > Feels > MPP > CS > everything else

Sounds like an interesting dude

That one dude went to purgatory

At least I listen to un-pretentious experimental rock like Ween and Mr. Bungle

swap his pepsi with coke and see what happens

stoopkid avant garde. only if stoopkid is a goob and not intimidating

w2c that shirt

Why all the footnotes in Infinite Jest? It's like a uh... Tennis game - back and forth! Yea that's it!

>>
I laughed at the quote thinking it was made-up, surprised to learn it's real.

I mostly agree but U2 lmaoamoa

>the father of nu sincerity was a huge posturing faggot

hmm

>tfw he lied that he hadn't read pynchon to his publishers because he was embarrassed by how derivative IJ was

In what world was Gaddis more commercial than Beckett

>relatively few use it as their main structuring principle. The Recognitions and Gravity's Rainbow are two novels that do so very effectively.
Those are the two that sprung to mind first? Not Joyce or even Clockwork Orange? Not even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Are you one of those poor souls that only reads things the Veeky Forumstv/mu contingent recommend in the hope nobody else reads either?

+/- Am now a tree
-still suffering
-the bark IS worse than the bites
+don't have to work, tho
+daemonic monstergirls rest their bird tiddies on you
+other suicide trees understand your pain

9/10 Hell destination, way better than burning coffins, screaming whirlwinds, or frozen lake

this is puzzling to me too. I guess maybe at the time Gaddis was more "in" because of the NBA and everything. Although I doubt it.

the one in which we pretend France doesn't have real money?

He could mean that Gaddis continued with novels while Beckett's prose works and plays became shorter and sparser

heh

please do this and post results

I'd like to suck the cock of the one who wrote this

>Gaddis was more "in" because of the NBA
What?

National Book Award?

Never thought about ranking all their albums, but Strawberry Jam is definitely my favorite as well. I also would rank MPP higher than what you have here.

first post best post

I always see these two bands lumped together. I love Ween but really don't like Mr. Bungle.

he rocked the court and wrote bad ass novels.
also he was a 9 ft 2'' black man.

Yeah, the goofy character names were really off-putting.

*holds up spork*
LE ASS IS ON FIRE!!1 O_O
*shits on microphone*
hmm nice music kid