Does Veeky Forums ever try eating/cooking bugs? What did it taste like?

Does Veeky Forums ever try eating/cooking bugs? What did it taste like?

Those fried mealworms/crickets don't have a lot of flavor on their own. Usually they'll be heavily seasoned with BBQ or other flavors the way potato chips are, so that's what they taste like. The thing that really turns me off from eating bugs is the texture. All that exoskeleton is gritty and stays in your mouth even after you drink something.

Haven't cooked them, but have eaten those big worms and tarantulas.

All of them shake alright fried, but somehow they also smake slightly acidic. Gotta say I was drunk of my ass in Bangkok but felt kinda nauseated after those.

I eat spiders some times. They don't really taste like anything, but their leg texture is nice i guess.

I did a while back, but in my experience they are flavorless, if you go after them make it for the texture. I can't speak to soft ones, only had ants and crickets and they are kinda like those wafer cookies with the cream between the wafer slices minus the cream

I would try them.

I ate mole crickets boiled in basil once. It was like eating mushy peanuts.

Insects have very little meat and what they do have will taste like a combination of shrimp, pond water, and what they ate. Best stick to crustaceans if you want arthropods.

He can't be fucking caught, fuck right off

Closest was sal de gusano as a side to some mezcal. It was an interesting flavor, would try again.

Ive enjoyed both crickets and grubs. Grubs are fine with that nutty type flavor, crickets are bothersome because of thier legs otherwise fine just bland kinda toasty at best.

A bullet.

Only lobster. Lobster is great tho

A friend ate a cicada he roasted over a campfire last time the brood emerged around here. He said it tasted similar to shrimp.

I can't get over that you're eating the whole animal guts and all. I don't really mind that it's an insect but I don't want to think about carapaces and intestines and whatnot.
I mean, I eat prawns but I devein them first.

In Vietnam we'd order crickets cooked with chili and lemongrass. Perfect little bar snacks when slamming bia hoi.

I ate a cicada because it was making too much noise outside my door, tasted like bitter crunchy goo.

Would someone be so kind as to post the Mosquito burger video

I shared a meal with a T*rk once, does that count?

This. I don't want to eat bug poop and lungs and sex organs. Part of why I don't like the idea of eating rodents.

Unlike, say, poultry or fish, they have very little "meat" so you're always going to be eating those parts.

I've had mealworms and crickets. Both kind of reminded me of corn puffs that tasted nutty.