If you guys are so smart solve this

If you guys are so smart solve this

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13932773
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ambiguous, convention says 9.

It's 1. Anyone who says otherwise doesnt remember their order of operations.

It's Prime.

OPTIMUS PRIME

BODMAS
Brackets
Orders/Powers
(Division
Multiplication)
(Addition
Subtraction)

Fight Fight Fight Fight

if you interpret 2(3) to have precedence over the obelisk, the yes it's 1. That's why I said it's ambiguous.

I'd rather say the asnwer is ambiguous just because the order of operations is completely arbitrary in this specific case. There is no context behind the equation. There is literally no reason to take 1 over 9 or vice versa.

PHUCKYOUDMAS

Ooh, the good and old case of BAD NOTATION.

6 / 2 * (1 + 2)
brackets first
6 / 2 * 3
then multiplication and division left to right
3 * 3

Lol the bait is funny

Why are these trashy threads allowed?

Because you touch yourself at night queer

Basic math says it should be 1, as basic math says you solve the brackets first.

That's not how you solve brackets.

a(b+c) is solved by multiplying A by B to get D, then multiplying A by C to get E. The you add D and E. In the case of 2(1+2), that comes out as 2x1 + 2x2, which equals 6.

Plug this into OP's equation, and it becomes 6/6, which equals 1.

Youre distributing incorrectly friend

I'm quite sure that I'm not. This is very elementary stuff. I'm surprised that you don't know it.

read my post again

Depends on how you interpret this problem. Either 1 or 9. I am a fan of 1 as an answer, but most brainlets insist on 9.

This is not ambiguous. Jesus, unbelievable how stupid this board is. From left to right:
6 / 2 * (1+2) = 3 * (1+2) = 3*3 = 9

Wolfram treats it as (6/2)*(1+2); so 9.

>division sign
dropped

This is the conventional way, other way are incorrect for this precisely notation

Syntax error

I thought the answer was 1. Can someone explain why I'm wrong?

BUT WHAT IF THERE WAS VARIABLE INSTEAD OF 1+2???

you are tho. a=6/2.
When you distribute properly you get
6*1/2 + 6*2/2 = 3 + 6 = 9.

But really there's no need to distribute because there's no unknowns. So just simplifying we get
6/2*3
3*3

That's incorrect. Brackets are solved first.

Numbers tied to brackets are always to be resolved before you let them interact with other numbers. This is not ambiguous in the slightest.

but then why the fuck are you doing the multiplying before the division?

I did solve brackets (parenthesis) first. 1+2 simplifies to 3.
Which results in 6/2*3
which simplifies to 3*3
which simplifies to 9.

>People who don't know the difference between brackets and parentheses

>le division symbol can be interpreted as an operator and/or a grouping symbol meme

United States uses PEMDAS which gives you 1
Some other countries use BODMAS which gives you 9.

Let's settle this
strawpoll.me/13932773

I JUST WANT TO BE LOVED

PEMDAS does not mean the answer is 1. It means it is 9. It is only possible to get 1 by doing the math wrong.

() are parenthesis, but are also referred to as brackets in some places even though these [ ] are brackets.

That's not how you solve brackets. You are supposed to solve them as stated earlier.

"a(b+c) is solved by multiplying A by B to get D, then multiplying A by C to get E. The you add D and E. In the case of 2(1+2), that comes out as 2x1 + 2x2, which equals 6."

You do this to get the 6, then continue the equation normally.

That's not how you solve parenthesis. You can't use a multiplication property right to left unless you're resolving all multiplication and division in the same step. So either distribute 6รท2 into the parens or just solve the parens first and then resolve multiplication and division from left to right. If you're really so stuck go back to first principles by converting the entire problem to addition.

So obviously you do the bracket first, then you have from left to right a division and then a multiplication.
You do them left to right, right? Isn't that how programs and calculators usually read it?

Not that into math but why do we had to distribute when you can easily calculate ?
Isnt it like using an inappropriated formula ?
Im thinking as the young dev am i