Is it even worth asking where to start with Aquinas? Is it even as if I would understand him?

Is it even worth asking where to start with Aquinas? Is it even as if I would understand him?

Read the Small Summa.

Then read the De Malo.

Then read the big Summa.

Finally when you're so holy you levitate, tackle the Summa Contra Gentiles.

Start with Aquinas by ignoring the tubby bitch completely.

> "The Sacred Hog of St Hubert's"
> so fat when he died they had to pull down a wall of his house to get the body out

Was he really that fat? Lmao

Why doesn't the church ever bring that part up?

But he rode on a donkey like the day before he died?

Don't talk about your mother like that

It's not true. It's probably Protestant nonsense.

I wish, it would have meant I had conquered mortality.

You could try reading one of the Thomist introductions to Aquinas such as A Summa to the Summa.

I'm going to fact-check this, but is it bad that I tend to ignore people's opinions on important matters if they're tremendously out of shape (through fault of their own)?

Earlier this year I went to a Catholic mass at a large basilica, and every single person conducting it was plainly obese. I haven't been back, and started going to an Orthodox church instead. It was revolting. How can I expect someone to teach me about moderation and love and rejection of worldly pursuits when they don't even love themselves enough to put the fork down?

Edward Feser's Aquinas is good intro to his metaphysics

I doubt he was fat, being a monk in 1200s isn't a very nutritious way of life.
If you consider the fattest people from the middle ages(or history in general) they Kings and Queens and are Thicc at best.

Monasteries of the time were fairly wealthy, while the most of laity were not.

the dominicans were very poor compared to the benedictines. they rode in donkeys as they couldnt afford horses. but aquinas was fat as fuck though. iirc he was pretty tall too

>You judge people by appearance
>You assume that the physical faults of others are based upon poor character
>You words mark you as lacking charity, patience, prudence, and justice
Yeah.
Go be Orthodox.

Umberto Eco described him as "that monk who, when the other monks would joke about seeing a giant sparrow, would rush to the window to see, and then become angry, having believed it less likely that his fellow monks would lie."

sounds like a sperglord.

Sounds like you think Umberto Eco actually knew him.
In reality St. Thomas was known as a quiet, gentle man of great humility and an appreciation of humor.

>Sounds like you think Umberto Eco actually knew him.
>Now let me tell you about a man I never actually knew.

>was known as
Huh? Huh? Huh?

I own a glock 17

Prove it.

I don't have to as I'm a different person than who you replied to. But if I saw you in real life I'd give you a dollar, and I hope you'd buy yourself a decent education.

I am repeating what people of the time said about him, not the cheap joke of a low-rent fiction writer

>lies about owning a gun
>doesn't know the cost of an education
Is there anything you do know? Other than your mother's cycle?

I don't despise them, but I also don't trust them as deeply as I would were they in shape. You sure are judgmental brother.

>church full of people displaying the signs of persistent and unrepentant gluttony
Why would I expect the spirit to be with such people?

What's to understand? When you murder everyone who can scrutinize ideas and ask effective questions, all you have left is dumb delusional children arguing which imaginary friend has the best sky cake.