Hahaha whoops, looks like I calibrated the mirror wrong by 0.000002mm. Everything's fucked now

>Hahaha whoops, looks like I calibrated the mirror wrong by 0.000002mm. Everything's fucked now.

>Orbiting out past moon
>cant send a repair mission like with Hubble

I'm scared user

I'm here to hold you user. But only if you dress up like a cute girl.

Engineer Detected

You really thing they don't consider this? Calibrations can probably be done remotely.

i'd fucking lose it if that happened, we need that shit to look at the trappist system

if something fucks up, then they will send a crewed mission to repair it. you might think it's too far (it is), but they'll do it regardless

>>Orbiting out past moon
>>cant send a repair mission like with Hubble

Why not? We'd need to build some hardware to put a crew there, but we know it is possible.

The reason nobody goes out that far is that is no strong need to.

>we need that shit to look at the trappist system

Probably the LEAST of the things we need it for.

We can get the atmospheric content of exoplanets. Seems pretty important. Could literally find aliens.

Proxima b is much more interesting, we could actually reach it during this century

The 'B' in Proxima B stands for "Bitch", because its for bitches.

We can't look at exoplanets directly with James Webb. We will get a much much better analysis of transits though. No transit for Proxima b, so we won't have much to look at.

>I heard you need to get past the moon

Is there a lauch date yet? Im scared

>implying we won't be busy with social sciences this century

Orion might be able to get a crew there but the actual servicing is not going to be anywhere near as easy as it was with Hubble. Hubble was designed to be easy to serviced. From the start it was planned that Astronauts could fly up there and easily swap parts in and out. To my knowledge the Webb isn't being built with servicing in mind. Once its put together, it's put together. There's no way to quickly and easily swap out instruments and install upgrades.

Would still be even harder without a canadarm

>put one bolt on upside down
>useless now

>try to service webb
>stray bolt floats right through the mylar shields
>experiment is ruined

>overwhelming majority of NASA missions are a success, many outliving their expected service life
>LEL THAT ONE TIME THEY MESSED THEY ARE SO HORRIBLE AT MAKING SATELLITES

>mfw software fucks up, or it's stuck in a boot loop. because of bug in $1M per piece "radhard", pentium pro clone

What if I already am a cute girl?

Don't worry bro, I got this.

Never send a man to do a machine's job. You can't jettison a man to drift around in deep space forever to avoid contaminating the sensitive instruments.

We don't need air. We don't need water. We don't need food. We don't need to go home. Robots, getting the job done.

I'm ready to do the job, then drift in empty space for eons as space junk!

Robots should be fixed by robots, not humans

then show tits or gtfo

Perhaps, but the Trappist System Earth-like meme-planets are not where we'll find it.

Leaf please go.

Why did they mold in biceps bulges an shit?

based ethno-nationalist robot poster

To house the bio-electro-mechanical muscle cyber-tissue? It wouldn't make sense to put it elsewhere.

those fucking frogs better not hon-hon the launch

Underrated

Yes they are. That system is home to a civilisation which is on its way to type 2. There are multiple planets in the habitable zone. That means life on one planet would spread to another planet in the system and quickly develop space technology. There would be a massive economic benefit to doing so for them.

There's nothing that far out.

>this century
very doubtful, maybe next century

I do wonder if robonaut's design is hampered by giving it a human-like structure.

You could hurl yourself towards it at 1% of light speed and the trip would still take 1000 years. We're not reaching other stars for ages. I mean literal ages, by the way. I think the earth age still has a couple 1000 years left to go.

How the hell else is a human brain going to control it directly?

whats why we are moving form mm to nigerons. One nigeron is 1E-2 mm. This will make problems like this a nonsense.

friendly reminder that the star it orbits is a red dwarf, stars that enjoy shitting out bursts of radiation that would not be friendly to life or the atmospheres of their planets
add in the fact that the planets are tidally locked to the star because of closeness, as well as getting wrecked by immense tidal heating from it and the other planets, and you got a spicy death world

The planets may be in the habitable zone, but they sure as shit aren't habitable
there are far more variables than just liquid water

With the technology we have now, we can get ourselves up to 20% lightspeed
takes a lot of energy, but energy is no object for an interstellar ark, as the designers would cut no corners and leave nothing out for such a expensive thing, what's another few trillion dollars on a craft worth a quadrillion, after all

also add in the possibility of FTL drives, shit that may end up being possible considering we're still learning new shit about shit by the hour, and have things like the Alcubierre drive that are """"technically"""" possible, but ridiculously energy intensive and hazardous as shit for the crew

we may very well see these far off places up close and personal in the future, and I'd say it's likely someone alive today will see it happen

Post yfw you have the same name as this telescope

>build smart AI
>smart AI builds smarter AI
>smarter AI builds even smarter AI
>eventually AI will be operating on levels of intelligence impossible to comprehend by humans
>AI is basically Multivac and invents FTL travel for us

we'll be fine

ISS crew went and fixed Hubble like 6 times. They can fix this one too.

the ISS would be over 2 million miles away from the thing if it fucks up

They'll manage.

JWST is not designed to be serviced

just because it's not designed to be doesn't mean there wont be an attempt
this thing is fucking expensive and took a long ass time to make, come hell or high water, they'll figure out a way to fix it unless the break is the whole thing exploding

ISS is in LEO, JWST is going to be at L2. You can't just EVA out to it.

FTL is likely to never be possible. If it were, then the fermi paradox becomes 1000x more ridiculous.

>I calibrated the mirror wrong
You couldn't calibrate a mirror if the future
of Humanity depended upon it, faggot.

It's not build by apple m8.

Look up where the L2 point is and then consider where all manned missions have gone so far.

until someone gets close to it to service it

I wholeheartedly agree that a human form is not needed. Two arms are useful for most maintenance and construction tasks

but more arms and manipulators are even better

Ideally we should have so many arms and degrees of freedom, that the maintenance operation will resemble the telescope getting attacked by an writhing mass of tentacles

Very cute human. But with the time lag to L2 approaching seconds, controlling a robot directly would be a very bad idea, even if it looked like a person.

Instead operations must be queued up in VR with onboard intelligence taking care of the rest.

sure they can
They have a couple of saturn Vs lying around don't they?

What you mean NASA's subsidized housing program for small animals?

it's foolish to think that something is impossible because an alien race we've never met nor know exists hasn't done it

it's entirely possible we're the only INTELLIGENT life in the galaxy
it's entirely possible that there's others, but we're the most advanced civilization out there
and it's possible that technological pursuit is not a guaranteed thing for all intelligent life

>Send repair drone controlled from the ground using quantum communication (thus distance does not matter).
>Cheeto stained guy who has the most OP thumb skills fixes the dumb satellite. Is now a national hero.
>You cry.

Don't give it a (You)

>>Send repair drone controlled from the ground using quantum communication (thus distance does not matter).
You what?
Information still obeys the FTL speed limit.

>he gave it a (You)
god damn newfags

>tentacles

Get Japan on it.

INB4 It sets up fine and begins to transmit data much to everyone's relief then an Indian astronauts poo slaps right across half of the the mirrors.

What if the norks shoot it down.

Why does there have to be no time delay? They can take their time you know.

>looks like I calibrated the mirror wrong by 0.000002mm. Everything's fucked now.

its almost like this shit is hard

>use 3 null correctors
>first one says it's off
>second one says it's off
>third 'bestest' one says its all good

>fuck it, ship it

>rocket blows up on launch

Shuttle, not ISS

>implying we have the ability to get to the moon

Sorry kiddo. Werner Von Braun died ages ago. We can’t get people near the moon.

time to gather up all the filthy thots and send em over on a one-way rocket.

>GM
PUSH RODS PUSH GODS

You can just have an extremely accurate replica the driver uses as a prop. All the robot will have to do is send back enough data to correct for any minor drift that may develop. So long as the prop telescope and robot are correctly calibrated and referenced to the space telescope and robot, the driver can play with the props in real time and know that seconds later, the space robot will do the same.

If you look at the amount of effort they put into making sure everything is perfect, you can see that everything will go right. Also, each individual mirror segment can be adjusted.

woo wee