Really makes you think, huh? Do you believe reading is beneficial to the society as a whole?

Really makes you think, huh? Do you believe reading is beneficial to the society as a whole?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/12/young-read-more-books-than-older-generation-research
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shit like that makes me want to be contrarian and say no. Howerver, i believe that it is beneficial so i'll say yes.

No, it destroys our memorization capabilities and dulls creativity. There's a reason our ancestors opted for oral traditions.

It would be preferable if everyone read at least a few standard works yeah

The question is not very relevant since there will always be a large majority of illiterate pleb, in every single society. The % of people able to read and actually reading (books and/or e-books) will drop soon, if it hasn't already.

No, reading isn't relevant. The only thing beneficial to society is FUN

It's going up.

I read a lot of books and I'm still a fucking idiot.

>Really makes you think, huh?
Why are you so incapable of original thought, huh?

Really ? I recently saw that Amazon is making more and more profit selling paper books, but I guess that's not what you're referring to? Any specific data on recent evolution ?

Close to 45% of people in most first world countries have low literacy meaning they can't decypher complex graphs such as dosages on medicine easily.

yeah, because 95% of them couldn't read or write you fucking moron.

theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/12/young-read-more-books-than-older-generation-research

It's mostly YA shit though

oh ok. Thanks. I was about to say that it's probably because school forces kids to read a few books, whereas it didn't fifty years ago. I was also about to say that if it's one or two or three books a year, it doesn't mean much. But it's actually not what the article says. Would it be plausible to say that kids are forced to read 10 books a year for school ? I don't think so, and the essential point seems indeed to be the raise of "young adult" literature.
Now there's something that I don't quite understand. It seems to me that less people are able to write correctly, the reason being that read less. Maybe it's not the true reason, or maybe it's because they read bullshit that does not provide at all an example of a correct use of language.
I must admit that I'm always a bit biaised when it comes to studies about the millenials that end up with 'positive' results.

>Vargposting in lit

It's this board being raided by pol?

Depends on what you read.

That's to say those people would have ever come up with something as creative as what they read at which point it is good they read something that gave them a new idea, perhaps even inspiring them instead of being thoughtless zombies.

How is that image supposed to be ironic or representative of something negative? Am I stupid because I don't get it?

I think it's supposed to be "positive" but it's badly done.

Ah, okay. So OP's question doesn't make much sense, since it's pretty obvious that reading is beneficial, at least for us

Well, reading doesn't get that guy to stop pooping; he keeps dropping kibble

With an open-ended question like this, OP's position is indicated in neither direction.

writing incorrectly stems from two main reasons: not reading, or at least not reading the "correct" literature, and the rise of social media/internet usage. twitter for example is designed for 140 character, facebook status updates, instagram captions, etc. not to mention the usage of ebonics and emojis that have permeated modern language as well