When I was 19 years old i got a felony for a DUI and selling marijuana...

When I was 19 years old i got a felony for a DUI and selling marijuana, but i completed probation and drugcourt on time and paid my fines and was practically an A+ probationee.

Would this 100% completely and totally disqualify me from getting a job at a particle accelerator lab like Fermilab or the LHC? Or is there a possibility for a waiver?

I ask because I'm currently going to college for a PhD in Physics and am wondering if maybe it's all just a waste of time and money. If after the 8 years it takes to get my PhD and if i graduate with great grades and all, with no more legal trouble, is there still a possibility to get the job?

Do particle accelerator labs have an "absolutely not under absolutely any circumstances" type of policy on this?
Or could it possibly be a "follow your dreams and prove that youre worth it" type of scenario?

I asked the director of the physics department at my uni, but he said he's never heard of a felon trying to get a PhD in physics before, so he wasnt able to answer my question

Order a background check on yourself and see what comes up. If a background check pulls a felony, that'll be an issue for most employers.

Unless it's been sealed it will show up on a background check and you will have to disclose it to your employers anyway. If you don't disclose it, then you'll get caught and fired eventually. Also if you get fired for lying on an application, you'll pretty much never get a job anywhere ever again. Because you're a felon you also won't be able to obtain a security clearance, which might be a mitigating factor in some research groups.

Insofar as particle accelerators are concerned specifically, I can't say I know anything. If they have a rule against felons there almost certainly isn't a waiver because of the volume of applicants. Overall if you obtain a PhD I don't think it will be impossible for you to get postdocs. It's just going to be hard, because you're going to be chosen last among every other equally qualified candidate because of your conviction. You probably won't be able to get the best jobs, or work in the fanciest labs like Fermilab or the LHC.

t. Labor and industrial relations guy

Yeah, so here's the deal:

1) Most grad schools are very skeptical of any sort of blemish on your legal record, especially felonies. This actually is probably due to the fact that, as a graduate student, you will be expected to *teach* undergrads from time to time, and thus you could be a liability.

2) Depending on the employer, this could be a serious problem -- it really depends on the ethos of the firm. For example, a small startup in San Francisco would probably be much more understanding of the whole situation than DARPA, or some other alphabet-soup agency in Virginia, you feel me?

So, I would certainly not ignore the possibility that some doors may be closed for you already. I don't say this to be a dick, but I would rather not see you waste your time. That being said, I would look into the possibility of expunging your record.

As I understand it, some low-class felonies and misdemeanors can be removed, one charge at a time, given a certain amount of time has already passed since the conviction. I don't know what state you live in, but this could be your biggest chance, and I would consult a local attorney on the issue.

At the end of the day, do what you enjoy most, but don't forget that school will end eventually, and you'll need to put a roof over your head. Good luck, OP.

I'm this guy .

That's good news for OP, I didn't realize that the industry had become so lenient on the matter.

Are you sure about the whole felony and security clearance business? I thought those were only violent felonies or those involving firearms.

> felony for a DUI and selling marijuana
sounds fishy. why charge you with a felony for that?

Some states you can get your felonies expunged. Not sure about the process but it would be worth checking if your state will.

Obviously some people will trash your resume if they see felon, but with a phd in physics you probably have a much better chance of at least getting your foot in the door. I also think it could be interesting enough to get you a few interviews, if you're young.

OP here, I did get a "concealed weapon without a permit" charge too, but it was immediately dropped because it was just a pellet gun. It still shows on my record though because i live in ID and the courts are absolutely horrible at record keeping.

On that same note, I will look into expunging my charges considering i got a withheld judgement on them.

Im curious though as to wether or not top agencies like that will still be able to see the charges.

Maybe they want it expunged just so that other people will be unable to see my charges? Who knows?

Well, as far as security clearances go, I wasn't sure if places like Fermilab, LHC, etc required them

For me, having a PhD says a lot more about a person's character than a felony conviction, but only if he got the PhD after the conviction. The fact that OP's crime doesn't (based on what I know) involve moral turpitude is also good for him, but it depends on who's evaluating his application.

>Are you sure about the whole felony and security clearance business?
I'm not. I'm not FBI, so I wouldn't know for certain. It would depend on specifics of OP's case, and so on.

what is the point in prison if the system bans you for life from working a decent job as well? merica man.

Idk, both a DUI and "possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute" are both felonies in ID, but they ran them congruent and i got a withheld judgement on them.

My hope is that after 8 long and expensive years, a PhD, no new trouble, and good grades, employers like Fermilab will be willing to overlook the charges as "young and dumb"

Good point

how much did large hadron collider/fermilab cost? i'd give ALL my money/be homeless/live off plain tofu for a person with a dui & selling marijuana to work at a particle accelerator, but remember, they get nothing done b/c governments are retarded

I'm not absolutely sure what you are trying to say

it's alot of information to take on all at once

In France, a police check is not necessary to obtain some types of visa, and it is illegal for employers to ask for your criminal record. At least for academics. Also most countries will consider convistions "spent" if a good length of time (10 years or more) has passed.

Working in the US you might be boned, they are very strict on employees especially in the big government-funded labs.

DUI won't show up on background check. However, if you made the local paper your name is now archived and you're fucked forever.

Thankfully I didn't make the news

prisons here are to keep them off the streets.

Can't you get your records sealed after a certain number of years?

Honestly I am calling bullshit on this. No court in the United States would find you guilty of a felony considering the nature of your crime and your age. Liberals like to think it happens but it really doesn't. Unless you're black and couldn't get anything beyond a public defender (or were found guilty of something else that you have mentioned) then this is BS

Source: someone that actually got arrested for DUI, drug possession, and drug distribution class C (the felony)

Did you go to law school? Because if so, I should have hired you as my attorney because i have a felony now

Possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute is easily a felony

Stay out of my lab, you heathen.

I feel like this would be the general consensus at labs like Fermilab. That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I gone an done fucked my own self then.

I'm scared a little bit sometimes because I was 19 and slept with a 17 year old from tinder and I guess her parents went to the police for some reason. I got a visit from some county detective and they asked me questions about it. They told me they will forward all the info to the DA who will decide to press charges or not (would've been misdemeanor underage sex with a minor) but they decided not to file charges. I am embarrassed and wonder if there's a 'record' of them visiting me/almost charging me with that.

Quite frankly, it is a don't ask/don't tell, kind of thing. When I was an undergrad at a local university, the doctoral candidate I was working with was a convicted felon. He was originally sent to college on behalf of a gang to learn chemistry, which he later used to cook meth. Or at least, that is what he told me. He disappeared before ever finishing his doctorate. I'm not sure what became of him, but as far as anyone else knew he was just another doctoral candidate.
In obtaining a badge at Fermi, I don't recall any questions about being a felon, but since I am not a felon I wouldn't really have noticed if it was a question. Depending on the job (which would likely be post-doc for you) you probably will never encounter the question as to whether or not you are a convicted felon.
Simply put, just keep doing what you're doing. Chances are your felony status would be overlooked on account of having a doctorate.

What university are you at, if you don't mind me asking?

let's cook

Way ahead of you.

OP, are you gonna work at a oil rig one summer, a copper smelting facility, a steel plant, a power plant? that's what i'd do b4 I got into lab assistant work

Idaho state uni

I could possibly intern at a power plant over the summer if they'll allow me to get a security clearance

Quite frankly idk but you can make up for by teaching me every extent of your knowledge im well versed with concepts but I need help with the math maybe if I were to get hired I could imput hiring you as a number 1 perogative interested?
Teach me for the love of God please

There's a guy with a terrorism-related conviction working on one of the LHC experiments. You should be fine.

He means he'd chop off a arm and a leg and sacrifice his regular diet to work there and that supposedly they usually get nothing done as far research goes

Expunged means it no longer exists
tossed in the shredder, never to be seen again

dude unless your prof is retarded, which he mostly isnt in physiks. He shouldnt judge on this.
How does it even make sence you doing something for a job and not the knowlege itself...

Engrish prease