How am I supposed to read this?

Am I supposed to read this as prose?

Or should I imagine Homer telling me this story?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=diH8TXZKfuQ&ab_channel=TheAdamAdamant
reddit.com/r/books/comments/5wqq2c/how_do_i_approach_reading_poetry/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have a young man read it aloud to you, while you stuff his boypucci.

Johnny Cash Did it as an audiobook

read it aloud around a bonfire with some mates and some grog, preferably after a good meal concluding a day of physical toil

You should imagine Akhilleus stroking his """spear" "shaft""" between your thighs while you read it.

It's a poem.
What you don't get

How do I read a poem?

line by line

let it wash over you by

Fuck
This is fucking retarded, this whole situation and the system that created it. This idiot went through years and years of education and yet he asks people how to read a fucking poem. AND he's trying to read a poem a couple thousand years old, because Veeky Forums told him to.
If you do read it, consider yourself lucky if you don't hate it.

This

It's how I did it. Except when I read the Iliad I read it out loud to myself, rocking back and forth atop my dildo suction-cupped to the floor in my bedroom

Unironically this.

Is the Iliad some homo-erotic masterpiece or something.

It is a fact well-established that the Ancient Greek civilization owes its rapid cultural advancements to the populace's innate love for firm adolescent buttocks and tender boypucci. Hence the only way to fully experience and comprehend any of it's great masterpieces is in a company of a beautiful boy.

Learn attic Greek, there are a few instances in these ancient Greek books that don't translate well. Reading a line about how someone "approached the sea" isn't as poetic as intended when he referred to the sea as "αλς" or "salt". You miss many things like this by reading a bastardized version

How is 'approached the salt' more poetic than 'approached the sea'? Is this why it's so homo-erotic, with Homer's salty seamen?

Yeah, it's exactly like that user

This thread is fucking insane.

God, Veeky Forums is as fucking useless as ever. A simple "You should sub-vocalize with pauses between lines" would have sufficed, but this board is full of non-reading sewage as usual

I pretended it was anime for the first 5 books then just read a summary online

You stand up and read it aloud

>sub-vocalize
if you can read out loud, you should
it's good practice for talking anyway

Have you considered suicide? How fucking detached are you to not notice that a person is clearly new to literature in general, and then even recommend him to learn a dead and difficult language, only to be able to read that someone approached salt instead of sea.

>difficult language
it would take him like 6 months to be able to read in Greek. it's not that hard
also
>taking my one example as the only example
there are many cases like that. it's as simple as the word used being mistranslated for a completely different meaning. 'think' has like 7 different translations, all with different contextual meanings. it's not a useless skill to be able to read in the context with the correct words and translating for yourself

I never really read aloud and I notice sometimes I'll want to use a word irl but then when I do I pronounce it strangely because I've never or rarely ever said it before.

The reason he doesn't even get the context of it is that people think it's less worthwhile because "It's old lol"

From left to right.

This.

>it would take him like 6 months
niiice meeemeee!

>learn attic greek
>what is homeric greek

do you even know what the difference is? learning attic greek would open up so many more books than homeric greek and still allow you to read his epics. it's just a few different case endings

youtube.com/watch?v=diH8TXZKfuQ&ab_channel=TheAdamAdamant

WHAT? Where can I find this magnificence?

I read it a few weeks ago and it's so fucking boring. 15 chapters are literally just a back and forth between the Greeks and Trojans with pages upon pages of "This guy got stabbed, and his armor rattled to the ground, he was the brave son of a farmer and owned many livestock but his father would not see him pay back the cost of raising him for he fell to Dildomaster60s spear"

Achilles spends the entire story moping about because Agamemnon cucked him, Zeus can't make up his fucking mind about which side to back, the whole thing is just s shitshow. Hopefully the Odyssey is better.

These classical works are actually incredibly easy to read
They're not dense complex works like late 19th century works or post modernism

Personally, I'm reading it from an old Pope version where all the s's are f's, so as I read I'm also typing it up and changing them back to s's.

Gives me a chance to go slow and enjoy each line. I'm loving it.

reddit.com/r/books/comments/5wqq2c/how_do_i_approach_reading_poetry/
GTFO you fucking retard.

You know what's sad, Veeky Forums? I fear that the vast majority of people are even dumber than this guy.

>Hopefully the Odyssey is better.
I hope you like boats.

You are the purest definition of a philistine

I'd recommend going to a "recital," most uni towns have at least one a year. Once you've seen someone recite the Iliad, even with embellishments and quips added onto Homer's words, it all just clicks.

>with pauses between lines
but that's wrong you retard
>I pretended it was anime until the big 300 battles started and then it was too masculine for me
read MANime
this at least mouth the words to start with then you can work up to a proud & glorious singing
>Pope
Okay and when you are done you can read the Iliad

Not to say Pope isn't decent in his own right but he's as good a translator as Pound or Borges

I pirated an audiobook, it was great. Make sure to smoke weed as well.